Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Hmmmph!....didn't work! system crashed when I put in new drive in hot swap bay. But, as I said it was already on 0 value for AHCI in registry and I think it needs [?!] the drivers I put in XP put into the system for Win 7...no?! How?! The BIOS was always set on AHCI, as I use it and it works on my XP disk. The settings don't change when I boot to the Win 7 disk. What to try next?!
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
    Noctua NH D-14
    6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
    3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

0 is enable, 1 is disable (FYI)

You can't make these changes in XP and switch modes, it's not that easy and what was mentioned on the previous page only applies to windows 7 or vista.

Ya you can use MAC, you need a edited BIOS though i think.

Again you missed what I was saying or I said it incorrectly. That was ALL with the WIN 7...not with XP... The Win 7 is already installed and I tried the changes to the registry. Is there something else that needs to be done?! Did I have to do something when installing Win 7. [forget XP, this has nothing to do with XP]....Perhaps you don't remember the architecture of my computer. I have a swap bay and if I put in the Win 7 disk the computer is Win 7, if I put in the XP disk it is XP,...etc. I'm talking Windows 7 only that I can not get it to AHCI. It works fine [after much trouble!] in XP being able to swap drives.
    Last edited by crazybear; 08-17-2010 at 12:18 AM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Ahh, sorry, not sure what happened :)

To enabled RAID/AHCI/IDE all you need to do is make the following changes in the registry
    Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    What you might need to do is uninstall any Intel AHCI or RAID Drivers first if you have any installed, if so remove them and reboot, then make the changes. That's a might, I have this enabled with and without them installed and have no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh, sorry, not sure what happened :)

To enabled RAID/AHCI/IDE all you need to do is make the following changes in the registry

What you might need to do is uninstall any Intel AHCI or RAID Drivers first if you have any installed, if so remove them and reboot, then make the changes. That's a might, I have this enabled with and without them installed and have no issues.
    As mentioned all but the RAID one already were [and remain] on zero. RAID was on 3 and changed to 0 then back to 3 - in all cases it crashed. I'd not know where to look to find and remove any AHCI drivers. Would I not have to then re-install them. In XP I had to add the drivers during the initial installation, I'm confused as what I need to do with Win 7. You say ONLY make these registry changes? They were O for AHCI adn IDE and I'm not currently using RAID......

I note that the registry entry for ahci has a sub entry...is this needed to be changed in any way?
    I did find the drivers, but you'd have to be very exact.....what state would the registry entries have to be before I deleted the ahci driver [and why would I do that - and how would it be replaced]? When I first installed Win 7 the BIOS was set at ahci enabled and has remained that way, as I mostly use the XP OS disk and the swap works fine now, after many problems I don't remember the exact nature of. However, in Win 7 it collapses completely when I insert any new disk. Also not clear is if I need to have all three at zero or not. As I mentioned before, the first two were at zero, only the raid one was not, it was at 3 and is again now [after having tried zero, with no effect - and i do not now use any RAID]. Please inform. Thanks.
    Last edited by crazybear; 08-17-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Win 7 has default AHCI and RAID Drivers, I only mentioned removing them as a possible need in case you maybe added Intel ones during the install.

Only the mentioned keys need changed, which you have done. You can have all three set to zero or not, it only matters if you want to switch between them all.

Where is the image path key showing for driver location for the MsAHCI registry entry, that is what you are trying to use now right? It should say "System32/Drivers/msahci.sys", if so go there and be sure the driver is actually in that location, if it's not we'll need to add it to that folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Win 7 has default AHCI and RAID Drivers, I only mentioned removing them as a possible need in case you maybe added Intel ones during the install.

I added NO drivers during the install
    Only the mentioned keys need changed, which you have done. You can have all three set to zero or not, it only matters if you want to switch between them all.

So, even if I'm not using RAID it is OK to have it at zero? Why is it at 3 now?
    Where is the image path key showing for driver location for the MsAHCI registry entry, that is what you are trying to use now right? It should say "System32/Drivers/msahci.sys", if so go there and be sure the driver is actually in that location, if it's not we'll need to add it to that folder.
    Yes, that is the path shown and it is there; however when I put in a disk the whole system crashes. I have re-installed all [I think] intel drivers relevant...I don't know what more to do....
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

No Intel drivers needed, and they may mess things up. Those changes are for the default MS drivers, as I mentioned before not sure if Intel ones would mess that up or not.

did you follow this guide to the letter?? ive done this three times now on clean installs and it works everytime,just boot up into windows in ide mode,then adjust all the things in the guide and reboot,enter bios select ahci for both options in bios and save/exit.then when windows loads up you will see the hardware icon scan for drivers for ahci and install them and thats it

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

for xp you have to extract a inf file i think from intel storage manager and put it into winxp system32 folder,ill try and find the guide i used for xp,it was lsdme who found and posted it for me

heres a good guide for xp,looks daunting but its pretty clear

http://www.blah-blah.ch/Mra/Ide2ahci
    Last edited by wazza300; 08-18-2010 at 07:16 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    did you follow this guide to the letter?? ive done this three times now on clean installs and it works everytime,just boot up into windows in ide mode,then adjust all the things in the guide and reboot,enter bios select ahci for both options in bios and save/exit.then when windows loads up you will see the hardware icon scan for drivers for ahci and install them and thats it

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesM sahci

5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

for xp you have to extract a inf file i think from intel storage manager and put it into winxp system32 folder,ill try and find the guide i used for xp,it was lsdme who found and posted it for me

heres a good guide for xp,looks daunting but its pretty clear

Blah blah!? - IT-How to enable AHCI-mode after having installed Windows XP
    Everything is fine in XP and I'd dare not try such a complex set of changes unless needed! It is ONLY in Win 7 I have not been able to get AHCI working. I didn't try starting in IDE mode, but that sounds counter intuitive....but will try it....the system and registry say that the driver is there and it is in the registry as enabled....don't understand why I'd have to remove it and install it....but will try. No one answered if and why I'd want to or need to change the raid driver if I'm not using it. Also, what its setting from installation at = 3 means.
    Last edited by crazybear; 08-18-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread Information