Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

You do not need to change any RAID Drivers, does your AHCI Driver show as being located in System32/Drivers/msahci.sys in the registry key as I asked above? And is that the driver used, and is the file actually in the location as specified in the registry?

3 and 1 both mean disabled for this setting, 3 can mean system volume enabled only though, but for our use 0 is what is wanted if you need to change this at some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You do not need to change any RAID Drivers, does your AHCI Driver show as being located in System32/Drivers/msahci.sys in the registry key as I asked above? And is that the driver used, and is the file actually in the location as specified in the registry?

3 and 1 both mean disabled for this setting, 3 can mean system volume enabled only though, but for our use 0 is what is wanted if you need to change this at some time.
    The driver path is correct in the registry.
    It is set on zero; as is the ide driver in registry
    Both drivers are where they are reported to be
    I have no idea how to know if they 'are the drivers used'...please enlighten!
    Still no ability to use swap......frustration!
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
    Noctua NH D-14
    6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
    3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

No, it might be in 1, not zero. Would that make a difference? Also, you and the others say 'set it on AHCI', but there are 3, possibly 4, places in BIOS where one can set different banks of drives or other things to AHCI. I assumed from my experience with Win XP that I only needed to set the swap drive to AHCI. When I try to set all drives to AHCI the computer won't even boot up.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

ahci wont work for win7 if you didnt select it before os install,boot into win7 in ide mode(if your not using raid) then make registry changes to enable ahci,reboot select ahci in bios,reboot and it will load drivers for it,did you pre-install ahci drivers for xp??
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for all the places in the BIOS you can set AHCI, those are all different for each set of controllers you have on the board. The top area is for the Intel controller ports, which you should be using, and I suggest using SATAII_0 for the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    ahci wont work for win7 if you didnt select it before os install,boot into win7 in ide mode(if your not using raid) then make registry changes to enable ahci,reboot select ahci in bios,reboot and it will load drivers for it,did you pre-install ahci drivers for xp??
    This was discussed above - and I tried it [No, did not load any special drivers with Win 7 install. I'm not using raid, but what EXACTLY do you mean [what settings in BIOS] does 'boot into ide mode' relate to...as there are several places for different banks!] Yes, did with XP and it worked, eventually.] No one answered question of postion on board. I can't easily put it in '0' as the swap bay is not and then it can't be SATA II]. Each controller controls different disk ports [or whatever they are called]. I have my swap bay on 6/7 and so far I've had zero success in getting the ability in Win 7 to hot swap [so I guess achi is not activated properly.] I'm at a loss what to try.
    Last edited by crazybear; 08-27-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

To use hot swap, you will need to use the Gigabyte/J.Micron ports, GSATA_8/9. I am not sure if the Marvell ports allow traditional Hot Swap, I know "Safely Remove" does not appear when they are used.

And you will need to install the correct driver to enable "Safely Remove", otherwise you will have to remove via device manager/uninstall drive

Here are the drivers, you may need to use the "eSATA" ones not sure as they have changed things a bit, and AHCI will need to be enabled for these ports in the last part of the BIOS settings in Integrated Peripherals.
    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

As for "Boot into IDE mode" mentioned above, he means set IDE for the Intel Controller if that is how you originally installed, then make the registry changes and you can then set AHCI in the BIOS and boot to windows that way.

The Intel controller settings are at the very top of the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, this would be IDE Mode:

Integrated Peripherals

X58
    Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ........................ Disabled
    ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ..................... IDE
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) ............. Enabled Or Disabled

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    To use hot swap, you will need to use the Gigabyte/J.Micron ports, GSATA_8/9. I am not sure if the Marvell ports allow traditional Hot Swap, I know "Safely Remove" does not appear when they are used.

And you will need to install the correct driver to enable "Safely Remove", otherwise you will have to remove via device manager/uninstall drive

Here are the drivers, you may need to use the "eSATA" ones not sure as they have changed things a bit, and AHCI will need to be enabled for these ports in the last part of the BIOS settings in Integrated Peripherals.
    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

As for "Boot into IDE mode" mentioned above, he means set IDE for the Intel Controller if that is how you originally installed, then make the registry changes and you can then set AHCI in the BIOS and boot to windows that way.

The Intel controller settings are at the very top of the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, this would be IDE Mode:

Integrated Peripherals

X58
    Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ........................ Disabled
    ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ..................... IDE
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) ............. Enabled Or Disabled
    This is getting more confusing to me, not less.....sadly.
    In XP after months of work, I finally got hot swap enabled.....using ports 6/7, which is were my hotswap bay has always been.
    Now you suggest 8/9. Why? Why would Win 7 react so totally differently to the ports than XP?
    I just went into BIOS and changed the 6/7 from ACHI to IDE then rebooted; went to regedit and msachi was set on zero - as it always has been since I started this whole battle with Win 7...so didn't change anything.
    Went back into BIOS and changed IDE back to ACHI for the hot swap bay [6/7]
    I have re-installed and upgraded all drivers I can think of that apply.
    Strangely, I can REMOVE a drive without the system collapsing, but if I put one in, total collapse every time!
    Question [along with the others explicit and implied above]: My Win 7 OS drive is ALSO in the hot swap bay [of course I'd never remove it while system was on!]...could this be part of the problem?
    If not, then I'm still at a loss of how to proceed.
    I don't think it is part of the problem, but I don't know what native mode is and how it is best set; when set; why set. If my memory serves me correctly, long ago I tried native mode and the computer wouldn't boot. [It is disabled]
    -help-?!?!?
    Last edited by crazybear; 08-29-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Well you can use 6/7 if you want, I just suggested the others because they are not SATA 6Gb/s ports like 6/7.

You would use Marvell drivers for 6/7.

It very well could be the swap bay causing this, and with your OS on there as well that may make it even worse. Try things with the OS not on the bay, and if that works great, if not leave the OS off the bay and try things without the bay altogether and see if that helps.

Native mode will work as long as you have AHCI enabled.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread Information