Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

I meant the additional secondary heatpipe, the add-on one.

There is sound card, wireless LAN, ect cards x1 PCIE. I know, not common, but they are out there. If you need help finding some, let me know what type and I will look around.

Some of the boards are PWM, some voltage only. Some provide RPM info to the OS, and some do not. All of which is indicated in the manual, on the board layout pages where you find the headers (in the Black/White pages towards the top.)

How they run depends on what header you connect them to, and what choices you make in the BIOS fan settings.

Do not use any drivers on the CD, download only the ones you need either directly from the source (like Intel or Realtek) or get them directly from Gigabyte here. The CD ones will be old
    GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver

F5 BIOS is fine for 930, but I do advise you try the latest beta F7c, or you could use F6 final. It is posted at the Gigabyte page linked above, on the right side click BIOS or see below for link.
    GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

Please DO NOT use @BIOS program to update your BIOS. Use Qflash or DOS, here is a guide please check it out if you are unsure about flashing
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

After looking at the Bios thread, I'm hesitant to try......what advantages will I realize with the F6 over the F5?. I didn't see a newer beta version. Also, does GB have a program that can tell if a driver is newer than the one installed or show the version of all the drivers, to see visually? I'm about to try to install two SATA III drives [for now without RAID] and hope the drivers are OK from the disk - there were so many drivers for SATA III and they had to be done in the proper order - also some needed to be from a floppy. I have a floppy, but not connected to the computer and would have to do that with a floppy temporarily set up inside with the side off the computer. I thought floppies were from the age of the dinosaur!

On the PCIex x1 slots. One is just plain covered - the other looks like only a very special tiny short card would fit. I'd like to put a good wifi card there, if one exists. Anyone know of one that would?
    Last edited by crazybear; 04-14-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Don't be scared! I wrote all that info for warnings is all, so people read before they flash. You will be fine if you flash it properly.

Many improvements and enhancements are added into each BIOS. You can leave it if you want though, but I wouldn't.

New Beta's are posted here (Latest is F7c I am using it now, see my latest results (246 Bclk) here)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Not sure what you mean by BB? But you can check driver versions in Device manager properties for each device.

If you are not using RAID on SATA III, no drivers are needed to install.

I'm using UD7 now, but with a NB water block, but even with the stock one on you can install cards into the first two slots you just have to find the right length cards. I am looking at a Asus sound card right now on my desk that would fit into either slot.

I will see if I can find Wifi cards that size, of course then you will need to find them in your country :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Don't be scared! I wrote all that info for warnings is all, so people read before they flash. You will be fine if you flash it properly.

Many improvements and enhancements are added into each BIOS. You can leave it if you want though, but I wouldn't.

New Beta's are posted here (Latest is F7c I am using it now, see my latest results (246 Bclk) here)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Not sure what you mean by BB? But you can check driver versions in Device manager properties for each device.

If you are not using RAID on SATA III, no drivers are needed to install.

I'm using UD7 now, but with a NB water block, but even with the stock one on you can install cards into the first two slots you just have to find the right length cards. I am looking at a Asus sound card right now on my desk that would fit into either slot.

I will see if I can find Wifi cards that size, of course then you will need to find them in your country :)
    I meant GB not bb. Why must the new bios be in a non NTSF drive? [where it is now]. Otherwise, I'd have to do it with a floppy...if the one I have still works. I never use them anymore.

Yes, that wifi card is sold here at about 3x the price. I'm an American in exile....I do miss the cheap computer parts prices there....not here!

Another question: about what would you say are the optimal and maximal temperatures for the motherboard and northbridge. I know for the processor.

Sometimes a few minutes after booting up and windows starting the speaker gives a single beep - sometimes not. Any idea what it is trying to tell me. I've had no problems and only once in the ten days I've had it has it just shut-down for no apparent reason, but not all of the many drives and other things are all sorted out - less so the settings in the bios.

How good is the on-board audio? Need one get an additional audio card? I like nice music, but I don't have a super set of speakers at this time. Yet.

Has anyone tried the SATA III harddrives and found significant increases in copying large files, program loading and operation, etc.? I just purchased a 1T one, and would like another, but they are more expensive than the SATA IIs GB for BG.

...a lot of questions from a newbee with this board and the capabilities of it, I know....will try overclocking next week ;-) after the new bios update.

I tried last night to flash the bios. It was terrifying. It did not work and I don't know why. I tried to follow you instructions, which are labyrinthine. Is the 7c bos stable and OK - or should I use 6? I was using a usb flash disk and was confused as to what files were to be on it. The name of the flash file has changed since you wrote your instructions and that confused me, but assume the new name is the one to use. However, what BIOS files should be on it, I don't understand. When I went to the Qflash it did not see the usb device, though I had put it as the boot device. Please help me figure it out. I didn't read through the 40 pages of the Bios flash thread. Thanks

It needs to be FAT32, that is just how it is.

100C is the rated max for the IOH, 48-58 is the norm for X58 using these boards.

The single beep I believe is you have C1E and or EIST enabled, or any of the C3/C5, ect settings enabled. Disable those and it shouldn't beep.

Onboard audio is great I think, I am not an audiophile though so not really sure.

I have not seem much improvements really with SATA III mechanical drives, I am sure this will improve in the future though. SSD's are where the speeds are!

Don't be scared of flashing!

All you need to put on your USB is the BIOS file (.F7e for example the latest), that is all you need on the USB Stick.

You must be sure you have USB 1+2 enabled in the BIOS, and USB Storage Function in the Integrated Peripherals section. Then you need to leave your USB Stick connected and boot into Qflash via the END key or by pressing F8 in the BIOS main page.

Then once in Qflash your USB Stick will probably show as HD-1 or something similar. Go into it and you will see your BIOS file by name. Do not change your boot order or any of that, this does not matter.

OK, It worked. I was just nervous...I've heard all too many horrible stories! I'm amazed that you say 100C is max for the IOH and 48-58 norm for the X58 boards. I guess I'm doing well. Board temp is about 36C and Northbridge 42C. Haven't tried overclocking yet. Have to upgrade the CPU fan. What is the function where the BIOS is stored in the hard drive? I enabled that...but am not aware if it put it in and where? I downloaded all the latest drivers that go with the motherboard, but don't see where I can find out if the current one differs or not. Any program do that? I'd hate to foul something up or put an older version in. I also wasn't sure about reading somewhere that the SATA and RAIS drivers needed some pre-installation of from a bootdisk>32>5series file. Can you explain. I'll eventually exahaust these baby-questions. Thanks.

I understand! I just posted all the warnings and such so people would listen up and flash properly, because if not done properly then it can be disastrous.

100C is what the Intel rated temp is before damage should occur, that should not be anywhere near normal usage temp though.

Are you using RAID? If so DO NOT ENABLE that save BIOS to HDD function, it will corrupt your array. What it it is a backup of your BIOS on the HDD, so it would look there first if the MAIN BIOS failed before looking in the secondary chip. It stores a BIOS in the HPA Section of your disk, something you or programs cannot easily access so it is safe from virus, accidental deletion, ect.

In regards to drivers, if you grabbed all the latest ones you need, just install them no need to check against older versions as they will simply update if need be when you install.

What OS are you installing? Do you need or want to use RAID? If you do not then you do not need to worry about installing drivers for that. If you do want to use RAID let me know and I will advise, but you will need to do a clean install.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I understand! I just posted all the warnings and such so people would listen up and flash properly, because if not done properly then it can be disastrous.

100C is what the Intel rated temp is before damage should occur, that should not be anywhere near normal usage temp though.

Are you using RAID? If so DO NOT ENABLE that save BIOS to HDD function, it will corrupt your array. What it it is a backup of your BIOS on the HDD, so it would look there first if the MAIN BIOS failed before looking in the secondary chip. It stores a BIOS in the HPA Section of your disk, something you or programs cannot easily access so it is safe from virus, accidental deletion, ect.

In regards to drivers, if you grabbed all the latest ones you need, just install them no need to check against older versions as they will simply update if need be when you install.

What OS are you installing? Do you need or want to use RAID? If you do not then you do not need to worry about installing drivers for that. If you do want to use RAID let me know and I will advise, but you will need to do a clean install.
    I am not yet using RAID, but was thinking of it....as a means of 'backup' [having a copy disk], but need to do more research, as though the new 'fad', I hear of problems with it regarding viruses [I get targeted attacks often] and data loss, other problems. Yes, I did enable Bios to be written to my disk, and no I don't have RAID operating at this point.

Another question. Short of water cooling [bulky, expensive], while I know how to get something that will cool the CPU well [i7-930] well, I'm not sure what might be needed to cool the board, memory and Northbridge. Anyone know an all in one solution, short of watercooling? Strangely, after the BIOS update my fancy video card was not working correctly, until I re-installied its drivers.
    Last edited by crazybear; 04-22-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information