Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Did you update the firmware from the BIOS as we discussed yet?

Show me your user accounts windows, from control panel. While you wait, did you try running the program that says that "As Administrator" via the right click menu?

Intel ports do not hot swap, the J.Microns ones do, but you need to load the correct driver from here:
    RX.XX.XX - Driver would get eSATA setting from BIOS/Option Rom.
    RX.XX.XX_eSATA - Driver would report all Device connected as Removable Device.
    ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

Gigabyte Support and Contact us pages are here
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

GIGABYTE - Contact Us

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you update the firmware from the BIOS as we discussed yet?

By this you mean changing the on chip to auto or other way around? I've tried both, without effect. In fact the last settings recognized the disk if in at boot, but when I pulled it out of the hot-swap bay, the computer collapsed and rebooted....sort of the opposite of 'hot-swap'.
    Show me your user accounts windows, from control panel. While you wait, did you try running the program that says that "As Administrator" via the right click menu?

Just Administrator and one account that I'm always on except when prompted for Admin. password.
    Intel ports do not hot swap, the J.Microns ones do, but you need to load the correct driver from here:

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/

Thanks, Just loaded them - was not sure if both should be installed, installed both, with eSATA one last and will reboot shortly and report...but I'm perhaps confused as to the JMircron chip controlling which SATA ports? I thought the Marvell 9128 chip on 6/7 were the SATA III ports, No? Anyway, the hot swap bay and drives have always been on 6/7 and once upon a time the hot-swap worked. Up to now, for about 10 days it has not. They are to be a RAID eventually, but one thing at a time. I assume that the GSATA3 6/7 connectors should be set to AHCI to enable RAID. I assume the eSATA Mode should also be AHCI. I see no controller chip on hot swap bay, but it is hard to see clearly [encased].
    Gigabyte Support and Contact us pages are here
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

GIGABYTE - Contact Us
    Thanks.

Hmm, you are not admin then if you are prompted for a password, this may be the issue with that.

No, you only install one driver, the one you want IE Hot-swap or not, so you need to decide. J.Micron controls eSATA Connectors and ports 8/9

If you want RAID on Marvell you need to set it to RAID, not AHCI.

Hmm, you are not admin then if you are prompted for a password, this may be the issue with that.

No, you only install one driver, the one you want IE Hot-swap or not, so you need to decide. J.Micron controls eSATA Connectors and ports 8/9

If you want RAID on Marvell you need to set it to RAID, not AHCI.
    Aha! Sorry, missed this post...somehow... So, hotswap can only be on 8/9?! If that is the case, that is the problem....but doesn't explain why 6/7 worked as hot swap before!? I thought if 5/7 were set to AHCI and then connected to my hot-swap bay it would work. It did for a while, until I changed BIOS and perhaps some settings [which I didn't have recorded precisely]. Now, still, only get recognized disks if they are in at boot up.

Yes, actual hot-swap where you have the "Safely Remove" option in the system tray will only work on the J.Micron ports 8/9. Any of the ports will actually hot swap by disable device in device manager. I am not sure, about 6/7, maybe the Marvell ports also allow this? I haven't had any time to test them or use them yet, so I am not sure about those.

What you can do, even if you do not remember your previous settings, is go back to the previous BIOS anyway. Then see if you can get the same action going on the same ports, with any setting. Then once you see it works as it did before, write down the settings and then flash back to the new BIOS and test them. If the issue remains with the same settings that work in the previous BIOS it may be a BIOS bug and you would need to send in a report.

I sent a report to Gigabyte. I re-installed the JMicron driver and now it recognizes the disks as hot-swap....but still only as SATA II, NOT SATA III as they are and are plugged into the SATA III ports. I can't get straight in my mind, nor find confirmation as to which ports can be used for hot swap - only those that can be used for RAID. Any idea why the computer won't recognize these new SATA III discs as SATA III? Slowly, but surely....maybe....ugh...not easy to get this all figured out..... Thanks!

Are you sure what ports you have them connected to? I ask because you said reinstalling the J.Micron driver fixed your problem.

J.Micron drivers do not have anything to do with SATAIII, so I am confused by your comment on that. Only the J.Micron ports can be used for hot swap, and you need to install the right driver for that which it sounds like you did.

What port # are you now using? And what are you using that tells you they are not SATAIII disks?

Are you sure what ports you have them connected to? I ask because you said reinstalling the J.Micron driver fixed your problem.

J.Micron drivers do not have anything to do with SATAIII, so I am confused by your comment on that. Only the J.Micron ports can be used for hot swap, and you need to install the right driver for that which it sounds like you did.

What port # are you now using? And what are you using that tells you they are not SATAIII disks?
    I am 100% sure what ports they are on. They are on and always have been on 6 and 7 in a two bay hot swap. They are SATA III drives, but have never been recognized as such. Is there a special driver for that? Now, I have two 'SATA II' drives I can hot swap in that bay attached to 6 and 7 ports. Disk Sentinel and Everest both tell me they are seen as SATA II.

By the way, with the Easy Tune 6 ['cheaters' overclocking], it will run fine, but when I reboot the next time, it gives me a screen that stops the boot and resets the BIOS to the default settings almost every time. How to stop this from happening?

Again thanks. lsdmetoo!
    Last edited by crazybear; 05-11-2010 at 03:34 AM.

Ahh ok! Thanks, your comment cleared this up for me.

If you are using SATAII ports that is all the drives can function as, you will need to use the SATAIII ports if you want them to register as SATAIII

Please do not use Easytune for overclocking, this should be done in the BIOS only. That is the problem. If you need help with your overclock settings or tips on getting started let me know and tell me what you want to try out, then give me your current settings in full in a template from my signature

Ahh ok! Thanks, your comment cleared this up for me.

If you are using SATAII ports that is all the drives can function as, you will need to use the SATAIII ports if you want them to register as SATAIII

Please do not use Easytune for overclocking, this should be done in the BIOS only. That is the problem. If you need help with your overclock settings or tips on getting started let me know and tell me what you want to try out, then give me your current settings in full in a template from my signature
    BUT, 6/7 ARE the SATA III ports!!!!!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information