Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Sorry, my bad, I was thinking those were the J.Micron ports!

What does Crystal Disk Info show you, please post an image
    Crystal Dew World - Software - CrystalDiskInfo

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sorry, my bad, I was thinking those were the J.Micron ports!

What does Crystal Disk Info show you, please post an image
    Crystal Dew World - Software - CrystalDiskInfo
    Most oddly Crystal Disk doesn't show them as even being IN the computer...while Disk Sentinel does, as does 'My Computer'....?!?!?! I now have them working [again] as hot swap.....but not as SATA III. I've asked the maker of the hot swap bay if their interface is preventing this. However, I have before had them working as hot swap, but it is not constant, and the system has collapsed sometimes when I have removed them. I will try to connect them without the bay....but that is not easy given the orientation of the ports to the side of the board, rather than to the top - in a crowded case.

Hmm, so they do not appear at all in Crystal Disk?

Are you using Marvell or MS Drivers? If Marvell ones uninstall them and see if the MS Ones allow it to show in Crystal Disk Info

Hmm, so they do not appear at all in Crystal Disk?

Are you using Marvell or MS Drivers? If Marvell ones uninstall them and see if the MS Ones allow it to show in Crystal Disk Info
    Well, I misspoke....not only does Crystal Disk not...not after taking it out [no collapse of system] and it disappearing from display of drives - NO program recognizes it now that I've put it back in...i.e. it is ONLY recognized if in on boot! I'll check my settings again......

Hmm, now I am confused even more I think.

Did Crystal Disk show the disk previously and give you data on it, or not?

Hmm, now I am confused even more I think.

Did Crystal Disk show the disk previously and give you data on it, or not?
    Now [I changed some settings] Crystal Disk shows them as SATA III, but when I go to Disk Sentinal [which can tell me the actual transfer rates - to see if they are anything like SATA III] it says real-time tracking of activity on these disks is disabled - I assume due to the small interface the hot-swap bay has.....I haven't yet tried pulling them out [I'll do that just before I shut off the computer today, so as not to destroy all I'm working on]. What is confusing and I can't seem to get anyone to tell me, is which of the controllers [there are four] that can be set on AHCI should be...and if there are any other changes needed. Obviously, the 6/7 controller should be at AHCI and it is. When I set others to AHCI the computer never boots up, for reasons unknown. I've heard that SATA III disks often don't give much greater performance than SATA II, but I now own them and wanted to consider putting the OS one of them or make them into a RAID, perhaps. First, I need to have them stable and all the settings fixed.

As to the other issue on OCing. I'll start to learn the 'ropes'. I know only theory. However, now the system is stable and cool using ET6 on 3.3MHz [+16% OC, I believe]. I'll not be gaming, but I have some 3D and image processing software that will take a lot of umph from the processor to work well and quickly.....and have other more normal programs opne and operating, as well. I have a i7-930 processor.
    Last edited by crazybear; 05-13-2010 at 03:35 PM.

What do you want AHCI, that is all you "Need" set to AHCI. If your OS is on the Intel ports and you did not install using AHCI you can easily make some changes in the OS if you are using Vista or windows 7 that will allow you to set AHCI in the BIOS.

Is that the problem, when setting AHCI in the BIOS for your OS it will not load? If so, let me know your OS and if you do have it on the Intel ports or not and I will tell you how to correct this.

I advise using the BIOS only to overclock, if you need help with settings let me know and give me your current settings in full and tell me what speed you want to try and run

What do you want AHCI, that is all you "Need" set to AHCI. If your OS is on the Intel ports and you did not install using AHCI you can easily make some changes in the OS if you are using Vista or windows 7 that will allow you to set AHCI in the BIOS.

Is that the problem, when setting AHCI in the BIOS for your OS it will not load? If so, let me know your OS and if you do have it on the Intel ports or not and I will tell you how to correct this.

I advise using the BIOS only to overclock, if you need help with settings let me know and give me your current settings in full and tell me what speed you want to try and run
    I appreciate all your help. However, not sure what you mean by I only need 'AHCI"...were it only so!....I realize that is what is usually required for hot-swap, but as long mentioned, sometimes it is [hot-swap] and other times it is not.....I'm wondering if any OTHER setting need be changed to AHCI other than for the 6/7 controller [on which the hot swap double bay is now on].

I believe you that quick-fix ET6 is less that optimal .....but OCing is very new to me. I'm still using XP Pro SP2, although I hve Win 7 and Ubuntu...(not yet installed), but soon to be as a dual boot. Anyway, for now it is XP Pro SP2. I'd be happy [for now] with a stable 3.3 I have OCZ 1600 6MB DDR3, an i7-930, you know the Motherboard. What else can I send you? I have Everest to generate a report. First, I'm trying to make the bay and its two drives hot-swappable and stable.....baby steps. I just added a Noctua D-14 and temperatures are WAY down, so I'm ready to rock and roll!

NB- for anyone out there who has the same GA-X58A-UD7 board and thinking of using a D-14 for cooling....they say it can be postiioned with exhaust out the back or 90 degrees for exhaust up, but it 'ain't so....I found out very sadly......those six round capacitors [or whatever] on the MB toward the external connectors prevent this!....

Sorry, left out a word. I mean if you wanted AHCI all you have to do is set it to that.

Ahh, this is the problem, XP. Since you are using XP you must install AHCI Drivers (For Marvell since that is what AHCI you want) during the OS install process via F6 at the beginning of the install. So you would need to do a clean install, or a repair install of XP to use AHCI. Windows vista or 7 does not need this, you can simply change a few things in the registry instead of doing a clean/repair install, that is your only option in XP though.

What speed do you want to run and I will give you some full settings to get you going at trying

Sorry, left out a word. I mean if you wanted AHCI all you have to do is set it to that.

Ahh, this is the problem, XP. Since you are using XP you must install AHCI Drivers (For Marvell since that is what AHCI you want) during the OS install process via F6 at the beginning of the install. So you would need to do a clean install, or a repair install of XP to use AHCI. Windows vista or 7 does not need this, you can simply change a few things in the registry instead of doing a clean/repair install, that is your only option in XP though.

What speed do you want to run and I will give you some full settings to get you going at trying
    AHA!....so I must make a 'install disk' and do a repair....can I use a USB flash-disk instead of a floppy?!...not sure I have a working floppy in some old box.

Well, I'd love to try 4 GHz or a tiny bit over sometime, but for now 3.3+ or so is fine - the few times I had it up to that the computer whizzed along.....

I will, once I get my RAID installed make a multiple boot disk or have several different OS disks [haven't decided]. Definitely on 64 bit MS and a Linux, maybe even Mac OS X...as I see it is possible with this Motherboard!....but that is next month.....one thing at a time!.....
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
    Noctua NH D-14
    6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
    3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information