Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

It will be found doing the way I mentioned above, it should find the install that is already there. Did you try with disks removed and setup as I suggested?

If you did and it does not find it, then all you need to do is a simple fixmbr and fixboot. Here is how you do that
    How to fix MBR in Windows XP and Vista

More information and other methods of the same
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

SATA3 drivers are not needed, nor really suggested. Just use the drives in IDE mode, or think about installing Vista or windows 7 which would not need them

If you want to install the Marvell drivers onto the old install, do the same as mentioned above but use the marvell pre-install drivers instead of the Intel ones

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It will be found doing the way I mentioned above, it should find the install that is already there. Did you try with disks removed and setup as I suggested?

If you did and it does not find it, then all you need to do is a simple fixmbr and fixboot. Here is how you do that
    How to fix MBR in Windows XP and Vista

More information and other methods of the same
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

SATA3 drivers are not needed, nor really suggested. Just use the drives in IDE mode, or think about installing Vista or windows 7 which would not need them

If you want to install the Marvell drivers onto the old install, do the same as mentioned above but use the marvell pre-install drivers instead of the Intel ones
    Thanks. I have done in the past with my old computer XP Pro repair installs [though not with added drivers]. So, when things started to go very wrong I did go into R Repair and I did a Fixboot and Fixmbr [the second gave some very ominous warnings about doing this, however - and that the disk might become unbootable!.....and it did...but it was before that. There was the very strange references to upgrade and warnings that XP had already attempted and failed to upgrade the OS....when that is not what I was doing, nor an option. I had been having a problem prior that may be related. I had first boot device set as DVD, however, if there is no disk or no bootable disk in the DVD it should, I believe [and always did before on this one and any other computer I've ever had] go to the next boot device - which is the 'C' drive. However, sometimes [not always] before the catastrophe yesterday when there was NO bootable disk in the DVD or no Disk at all the boot would stop.....I fear t hat may be what happened and the command for XP to reboot and continue to install a repair install was thus stopped mid-stream and things are in limbo. I will try again, but am not optomistic. I tried perhaps 30 times yesterday and it just refused to repair install any more on that disk. It simply gave me error messages and at times even the boot wouldn't complete. Before I attempt this, are there any BIOS settings that could be causing the problems described?

And yes, I disconnected all other drives.

Perhaps the most disappointing thing I discovered late last night was that I didn't have hot swap [as I thought I had] on the new disk in which I'm quite sure I correctly and I thought completely added the Marvell drivers within a new OS install.....when I pulled out two of the drives, the system collapsed.......so I seem not to be getting anywhere...only damaging my disks and becoming more anxious about attempting any of this, to be honest. All the data is backed up elsewhere, but months of work setting up that disk are, at this point, gone...and could also to my two day efforts on the new one....however, just now I put in one hot swap disk and it registered....waited and took it out and it did not collapse.....hmmm.....but taking out two last night did. Don't get it.
    Last edited by crazybear; 05-23-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
    Noctua NH D-14
    6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
    3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

Yes, your boot order comments are correct! That would pause/stop the process of repair, or would also simply cause the CD to start over thinking the repair or install had not been initiated yet so you would see the beginning all over again.

Put your OS Drive as first in the list, and in the boot disk priority list, then just use F12 Boot menu to choose to boot from CD when you start the process then when it reboots it will boot from the disk and continue the repair install.

The ONLY hotswappable ports that I know for sure should work are the J.Micron ones, and you need to use the correct driver for that. Aside from doing that, any port should be able to physically be hot swapped by using device manager, disable device, then uninstall device and you can remove it then and plug in a new one.

Yes, your boot order comments are correct! That would pause/stop the process of repair, or would also simply cause the CD to start over thinking the repair or install had not been initiated yet so you would see the beginning all over again.

Put your OS Drive as first in the list, and in the boot disk priority list, then just use F12 Boot menu to choose to boot from CD when you start the process then when it reboots it will boot from the disk and continue the repair install.

The ONLY hotswappable ports that I know for sure should work are the J.Micron ones, and you need to use the correct driver for that. Aside from doing that, any port should be able to physically be hot swapped by using device manager, disable device, then uninstall device and you can remove it then and plug in a new one.
    At this point, should I attempt the fixmbr and fixboot first and then try again with a repair install or try the repair install - as I'd have thought it would involve the writing of new mbr and boot record. The warnings given before the fixmbr are really frightening - as were the endless series of error messages I was getting.....
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

I'm at a total loss as to how to proceed - if it is even possible to now. I just tried again for an hour....nothing came of it good. I get an error message File \i386 \vgaoem.fom could not be loaded. Error code 14 [another time code 32768]. Setup can not proceed.

So, I can't do anything. I tried both ways - with the first boot device being the CD and the first being the hard drive and using F12 to get to the CD, but what I don't understand is this message of press any key to boot from the CD is normal...but NOT normal is that if I don't press a key it hangs...I think THIS the problem. So, it [the disk] is waiting to complete the installation, but can not. I don't know how things are set-up in the instructions, but it is stuck halfway...or worse, now corrupted and can not be accessed. I have found NO way to get in to do a repair - now it will not even load the repair..... Is there any fix. Am I so unadvanced or you so advanced we can't understand the other? Could my version of the BIOS there be a mistake that doesn't allow the process to proceed? [F7]. After the initial repair set-up, the computer says it will reboot and then [usually] it just goes back and completes - I assume by accessing the XP CD. Now, it won't proceed if I don't hit the key to boot from the CD [or in the alternative method via F12] and it won't proceed if I just don't touch anything [using either way]! Help! I really need not to loose the two months work on that drive...! Thanks. Sorry. Very stressed by this.

Actually, to make things all the more complicated and confusing [to me] when I first went in it DID allow the process to begin. I loaded in the two Marvell drivers and it completed the first part, up to the needs to reboot...then went no further and could never go further NOR get back and do a repair install or a complete install [which I'd really rather NOT do]. So, I can't do a fixboot, fixmbr nor a repair install. Dead in the water.....mood sinking.
    Last edited by crazybear; 05-24-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

I tried yet again many times. The only additional information I can add or repeat are:
    - It talks about having already attempted to UPGRADE [?!?!] this disk, and will try again [and also suggests complete re-install of XP]. I don't want to wipe out the disk so try once again...even though it is not an 'upgrade'
    - I also gives a message when I did fixmbr as follows: Thise computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid MBR and may damage partition tables if you proceed. Having proceeded, have I damaged my partition tables?
    - Once again after switching to this new disk; then going back to only the old one, it did allow me to get to the point of the reboot of the re-install [repair] but would go NO further. I think it is hopeless, but hope I am wrong!.......sickening feeling.....as I was SO afraid to try this, and the worst happened, apparently. It seems as if one needs to clone a disk before trying anything like this....but these are huge and expensive disks....

...again, I ask, with this motherboard and the BIOS shouldn't it go to the next boot device if one doesn't hit a key 'to boot from the CD'? This leaves me two choices which lead me to nothing: 1] I hit a key and then it starts all over again, never to finish the re-install after boot; 2] I touch no key and it just stops.
    Last edited by crazybear; 05-24-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Do not do a upgrade, only a repair. Yes, do the fixmbr and fixboot now, ignore the warnings.

Put the drive on the Intel ports and load the Intel drivers as I suggested, and set the BIOS to the settings I posted. Yes, it should go onto the next boot device if you do not hit anything, it is probably stopping blank because no proper drivers are loaded.

Do not put the CD as first boot device if you are, put floppy first if you have it or hard drive. And remove the floppy after you load the drivers, well actually do this right before it reboots.

It really sounds like your XP install disk may be messed up as well, can you burn a new one? If you can, please burn on the slowest setting

Do not do a upgrade, only a repair. Yes, do the fixmbr and fixboot now, ignore the warnings.

Put the drive on the Intel ports and load the Intel drivers as I suggested, and set the BIOS to the settings I posted. Yes, it should go onto the next boot device if you do not hit anything, it is probably stopping blank because no proper drivers are loaded.

Do not put the CD as first boot device if you are, put floppy first if you have it or hard drive. And remove the floppy after you load the drivers, well actually do this right before it reboots.

It really sounds like your XP install disk may be messed up as well, can you burn a new one? If you can, please burn on the slowest setting
    I never did an upgrade and it would be impossible for me to do...I've never upgraded from one OS to another. What I was saying it it REPORTED I was doing an upgrade, when I was NOT! I did the fixmbr and fixboot...but:
    Using the Recovery Console to Replace the MBR
    You can use the fixmbr command in Recovery Console to rewrite the MBR to resolve a corrupted
    MBR on a startup disk. However, running fixmbr overwrites only the master boot
    code, leaving the existing partition table intact. If the corruption in the MBR affects the partition
    table, running fixmbr might not resolve the problem.
    Caution Use this command with care because it can damage your partition table if any of
    the following apply:
    ■ A virus is present and a third-party operating system is installed on the same computer.
    A nonstandard MBR is installed by a third-party disk utility.
    ■ A hardware problem exists.
    As the second was the warning and may be so...I think the disk is just a storage now...never an OS again!
    I don't think the XP install disk is the problem, as it did fine on the new disk making a new install.... I don't think changing the ports will change anything, besides it is on the Intel ports. I'm out of ideas....
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Ahh ok, I thought you meant it asked you to upgrade or repair, so I was just saying not to do upgrade is all.

About your "Second" warning, why do you think that is the case? Did you set some tool such as Acronis to handle your bootup sequence, or what makes you think that applies?

Well if worse comes to worse, you can always setup a XP install on a clean disk, and then put in this problem drive as a secondary and then you can access it to get anything you need off the drive itself such as Documents, ect, then format it and do a clean install.

It wont have to be storage only, you can always format it and put on a new OS, we were just trying to save you from doing that.

So you did Fixmbr and fixboot and it did not help, or you have not done them yet?

Ahh ok, I thought you meant it asked you to upgrade or repair, so I was just saying not to do upgrade is all.

About your "Second" warning, why do you think that is the case? Did you set some tool such as Acronis to handle your bootup sequence, or what makes you think that applies?

Well if worse comes to worse, you can always setup a XP install on a clean disk, and then put in this problem drive as a secondary and then you can access it to get anything you need off the drive itself such as Documents, ect, then format it and do a clean install.

It wont have to be storage only, you can always format it and put on a new OS, we were just trying to save you from doing that.

So you did Fixmbr and fixboot and it did not help, or you have not done them yet?
    The fact it thought it was doing an upgrade shows how messed-up the OS was having either only completed half a repair install or damage to the mbr. I still do NOT understand why my computer will not continue on [any time] past the CD-ROM if it is set to be the first boot device and if there is no CD or no boot CD in it...it should just move on to the next boot device, but it doesn't. THat might have been part of the problem and still is. However, yes, I said it gave me the second message and while I didn't intentionally put in a non-standard partition, it is likely so that it was non-standard. I had on that disk Ubuntu [just, I thought, downloaded] and had installed it on ANOTHER disk, but did notice that when I booted up [even when the OTHER disk was not in the machine!] I was offered the choice of Windows or Ubuntu - I have NO idea how that happened, but some change must have been made by Ubuntu to that disk, as well. Yes, I did the fixboot and fixmbr many time and many times tried to do the repair install - it never completing and always saying that it was doing an upgrade, when it was not, could not have been. I lost two months work on that disk and the disk is physically fine...while this new one is empty and from purchase has not been in good physical shape [many reallocated sectors!].....thus my depression over this loss. It would take another two months to get back to where I was and this new disk is at risk, I fear due to the reallocated sectors [19 in the first hour!]...
    Last edited by crazybear; 05-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information