Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Default Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Just got the board and took a disk from my other working computer - tried everything, but only would start the windows screen then collapse and reboot. NO idea where to go - how to proceed - what the problem. Also, does anyone have the error codes that the board generates? The manual only has SOME. I can't even get to first base with this board, very upset. Please help me figure out the logical order of things to check. I've tried what I think are the obvious ones....thanks.

One other secondary question. I had hoped to use the two PCIex1 slots, but with the silentpipe one I can use neither!....and that, if I had known before would have made me get another board. Short of water cooling, is there a way to replace the silentpipe with a fan or something. Will it overheat if not overclocking without it?!
    Last edited by crazybear; 04-07-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

is your hard drive from the other computer have an operating system on it??? is so you cant just swap one os from one pc to another,you have to save your files and re instal windows onto the hard drive(format it and start afresh and clean/new install)
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Quote Originally Posted by warren300 View Post
    is your hard drive from the other computer have an operating system on it??? is so you cant just swap one os from one pc to another,you have to save your files and re instal windows onto the hard drive(format it and start afresh and clean/new install)
    I don't know why. I'm an American, living in Europe, and when I go back to the USA I often just bring my HDs - and put them in a computer I have t here and they work fine....why would it not recognize any of my XP operating system disks, of which I have many?! Of course I can build a whole new drive, but didn't want to do that until I was sure this board is even working properly. I don't see why I'd have to re-install windows...never had to before.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well sometimes this will work when moving to similar boards or board with similar chipsets, but it is never ideal.

What board was this disk in last? If it was an AGP board then it wont work at all, if it was a newer board that at least had ICH10R you might be ok but maybe not.

Yes it will overheat without a heatsink there on the NB/Mosfets. Didn't you notice in the images when you purchased this that you must use short cards on those slots?

Back to windows issues, did you setup the BIOS SATA/Disk setting properly for the way it was installed on the other machine? I mean if it was AHCI on the previous machine, did you also set that on this one? Just checking in case this is something you overlooked.

It may just be the install itself was coming from a board that was not new/similar enough, I could better guess on that once you tell us what it was previously installed in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well sometimes this will work when moving to similar boards or board with similar chipsets, but it is never ideal.

What board was this disk in last? If it was an AGP board then it wont work at all, if it was a newer board that at least had ICH10R you might be ok but maybe not.

Yes it will overheat without a heatsink there on the NB/Mosfets. Didn't you notice in the images when you purchased this that you must use short cards on those slots?

Back to windows issues, did you setup the BIOS SATA/Disk setting properly for the way it was installed on the other machine? I mean if it was AHCI on the previous machine, did you also set that on this one? Just checking in case this is something you overlooked.

It may just be the install itself was coming from a board that was not new/similar enough, I could better guess on that once you tell us what it was previously installed in.
    The other board/computer was very old. I have NO idea what AHCI means. It looks as if I'll have to make a whole new boot disk.....ugh!....days of work..again!....would re-installing the windows system on the disk work [but not an ideal solution, I know!]?

No, all the promo and even forums said the heatpipe would block one slot. It blocks both....! There is nothing that can fit in that, and certainly nothing I know about. Gigabyte should be ashamed to promote two slots that can't be used.....

...also, no one has commented on the 'nice' error messages I get..but only a few of them are in the manual...in fact...the ones in the manual and the ones I'm getting are mutually exclusive. Does GB not have a complete list - or has someone not compiled one?!
    Last edited by crazybear; 04-08-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Are you sure that Windows is not working like itīs supposed to and that your boot problem could be related to something else? Have you tried going into your BIOS and load optimized defaults? The boot problem could be lots of things....what memory are you running and have you set that like itīs supposed to?

You need to describe everything you did when you first replaced your old motherboard with this new one. Didi you just install a new mobo and then put in an old harddisk with a OS on and then fired up your PC without going into BIOS?

Poul

Well you did not tell us the error message, so we can't comment on it. What error message are you getting? In my signature there is a link that explains all the X58 Post LED error messages.

Ahh, very old PC is the problem for sure then. Can you please tell us the exact motherboard, or system model name if it is a OEM like Dell or HP. It if either likely an AGP system, or too old of a chipset to move to X58, or a XP install without SP1 or greater. All would require a new install or you can attempt a XP repair install which may or may not work (Not likely if it is AGP you are moving from). XP repair install is simple and will not affect anything like your documents, programs, ect. It will only reapair the install, looks like a clean install though from the process itself but don't let that scare you, then when done all you would need to do is install windows updates again.

To do a repair install you will need a XP install disk that is SP1 or greater, if you have one and need help doing a repair install let me know and I can link you to a few guides.

As for AHCI, if you are not sure then you do not need to worry about it as the defaults will be correct and be set to IDE instead of AHCI which sounds like you are using IDE anyway. IDE meaning SATA IDE Mode, only called that to differentiate from AHCI or RAID

OK, As a start I was able to reinstall windows xp and it booted....so now, I'm past the post, literally. I will in a few days build a new C drive, but I need the old ones for the programs and information that goes with them! I'll check out your error-message link, thanks. Now, [or for now] my only disappointment with the board is I had two older PCI boards I wanted to use and now have only one slot! The other I had bought a adapter PCIex1 to PCI, but it won't fit - due to the heatpipe. Does anyone know of a cooling solution [other than, obviously, H2O that would replace the heatpipe or question would my adapter work in the other PCIex8 or 16 slots???? I wonder?...the instructions don't say. I only had a few hours last night with it working, but it all seemed to be fine -once I got it to boot!...I'm sure it needs lots of adjustments to make it purr, but it seemed to anticipate many things and adjust fairly well. I will. Oh, one last thing. I read somewhere that the PCI 8 and 16 slots can actually change, depending on what is attached to what....can someone explain. I only plan to have one video card for now and know it should be on a 16. Problem is the bottom one, I'd like to use pushes the hot air right at the power unit with only a few mm to spare - the top one blockes yet another slot - the only problem I'm having - slot space problems! Thanks all.

Nice to see you got it going!

The PCI slots you should have seen when you bought, did you miss it? As for your adapter, some PCIE x1 will work in X4 or X8 slots, you will just have to try it and see. Some will, some wont, but it wont hurt it to try and check.

Cooling, water is the only real solution that would allow a longer card to fit in those upper slots. I use EK's kit, but of course I know you don't care or plan to go to water just for the NB from what you say. Really that is the only way though, you can't remove the heatpipe as the mosfets and NB will overheat very quickly. You don't have to use the additional add-on heatpipe though, but I assume you already know that.

Yes, if you use more than one card the slots could change depending on what you put where. Your main Display GFX card should be in the top most slot, but does not have to be.

From the manual, let me know if you need further clarification
    For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to
    install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.

The PCIEX8_1 and PCIEX8_2 slots share bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots respectively. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_1 slot will operate
    at up to x8 mode; when PCIEX8_2 is populated with an expansion card, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

I don't know what you mean by the 'other' heatpipe?! Are there [and what kinds are there] of PCIex x1 short cards that will [>!] fit next to the heatpipe GB provides...as far as I can see, it covers both!...not one! [as I was expecting!] My next question [as the documentation is - to be kind- very 'thin'] is how do the board's fan connectors work. They, I assume increase the speed of the fan, but based on what - the temperature of the CPU or other? I have MANY fans in my Lian Li and some don't need any special tweeking - others do! I also see so many many drivers and programs on the CD that came with the board with few telling what they are or what they do....is there some list with explanations? Thanks. The computer is functioning great. I'm about to try some OC - but not until I get things stable in 'normal' mode. One last question. I have an i7-930 [not 920] and heard that it takes the latest version of the bios to work correctly. Anyone know?! I have F5 installed, but there is a newer version.
    Last edited by crazybear; 04-14-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information