Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-UD5 and Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

Default GA-X58A-UD5 and Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

Hello :)

I received today the componentes to upgrade my "old" xq6700 processor.

Those new components are the following:

Processor Core i7 980X
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
    Corsair Memory CMD12GX3M6A1600C

Existing components

Graphic Card Gigabyte GTX280
    HD Spinpoint F1 1To x 2
    PSU Enermax Galaxy 850 Watts
    Case Cooler Master STC T01

Despite all my efforts and a lot of googling, I haven't been able to fully post (in fact, I haven't been able to see the bios at all - tried with two different video card and two different monitors).
    The motherboard stop with the following error code 6Bh.
    What I did:
    - Checked all the connections
    - Tried to boot with one stick, two sticks, three sticks
    - Tried to reset the cmos
    - Unplugged everything unnecessary.

So, my question would be, is there someone on the forum running the same motherboard / memory combination successfully ? (The motherboard isn't listed in the corsair memory configurator yet)
    I really need at least 12 GB (I can't afford 24) and if possible I would like to stick with Corsair since I have been using this brand for years

Thank you in advance for any help :)

Jean-Luc

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD5 and Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

have you or can you try with a different psu? just to eliminate it
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Thank you for your answer Warren :)

It's the only "big" psu I have (my other computer is an atom 330 so you can imagine :) ). The only solution for me would be to order one, but I more or less emptied my bank account with the three components I bought (I needed them to make some big renders and beef-up my portfolio in the hope to find a job).

I know for a fact that my galaxy works since I used it with my prefious configuration and it had a lot more components so it probably used more or less the same power especially since I also tried with a 9300GTS which use more or less nothing (doesn't mean your suggestion is wrong since there could be a compatibility issue but it's really hard for me to get another psu at the moment)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    Thank you for your answer Warren :)

It's the only "big" psu I have (my other computer is an atom 330 so you can imagine :) ). The only solution for me would be to order one, but I more or less emptied my bank account with the three components I bought (I needed them to make some big renders and beef-up my portfolio in the hope to find a job).

I know for a fact that my galaxy works since I used it with my prefious configuration and it had a lot more components so it probably used more or less the same power especially since I also tried with a 9300GTS which use more or less nothing (doesn't mean your suggestion is wrong since there could be a compatibility issue but it's really hard for me to get another psu at the moment)
    its not the wattage its the brand,i have a really cheap brand psu from ebay but it works flawlessly for over a year now,ive also run this set up with a 300w four pin cpu power plug psu,gigabyte boards are picky about what psu's work or wont work,what would be best if you could borrow one?? it could be something completley different im just saying to try so you know if it is psu or not
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

I understand what you mean, I had a similar compatibility problem a few years ago between an asus motherboard and an antec psu.
    I don't know many people so it might be hard to borrow a psu but I will check if the one I have for my atom has at least a 4 pins connector for the cpu (it's a an antec - not the one with the issue - 450 watt psu but a few years old so I'm not sure about the connectors). I will do that tomorrow using the nforce 9300 gs because I'm sure it doesn't have the needed plugs for the gtx 280 (it's already 1 AM where I live and post the results here.

Thanks for your help Warren, very appreciated :)

btw, for the error code, I'm not sure at all if it's 6B, 68 or b6, it's a bit unclear with the leds. I posted a similar message on the corsair memory forum to know if at least one person run the same motherboard + memory combo, to rule out memory incompatibility (with 3D pmrograms, I've always needed a lot of ram and it has always been an issue, motherboards doesn't like to have all the slots used and I really can't afford a Tyan + xeon combination)

Jean-Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Luc View Post
    I understand what you mean, I had a similar compatibility problem a few years ago between an asus motherboard and an antec psu.
    I don't know many people so it might be hard to borrow a psu but I will check if the one I have for my atom has at least a 4 pins connector for the cpu (it's a an antec - not the one with the issue - 450 watt psu but a few years old so I'm not sure about the connectors). I will do that tomorrow using the nforce 9300 gs because I'm sure it doesn't have the needed plugs for the gtx 280 (it's already 1 AM where I live and post the results here.

Thanks for your help Warren, very appreciated :)

btw, for the error code, I'm not sure at all if it's 6B, 68 or b6, it's a bit unclear with the leds. I posted a similar message on the corsair memory forum to know if at least one person run the same motherboard + memory combo, to rule out memory incompatibility (with 3D pmrograms, I've always needed a lot of ram and it has always been an issue, motherboards doesn't like to have all the slots used and I really can't afford a Tyan + xeon combination)

Jean-Luc
    it tells you in the back of the manual what the codes mean although it doesnt list all of them,best to try with 6gb of ram first and get stable then add the other 6gb later adding a little more qpi voltage
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The motherboard stop with the following error code 6Bh.
    What do you mean by that? There is only two letters available so just checking. Can you please post an image of the LED Error just so we can be sure, thanks.

There is a list of codes linked in my signature, and I just discussed similar issue and codes with this user so you may want to look at my thoughts there as well
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-x...ls-post-38950/

When you did your 1-2-3 memory testing, were you using the correct memory slots? They must be in the white ones, when only using 1-3 sticks, labeled 1, 3, 5 (Physical from CPU 2, 4, 6)

Have you checked the CPU socket for bent pins? Have you tested the board outside of the case, and OFF the motherboard tray with nothing but the CPU/heatsink, GFX Card and memory Nothing else (NO hard drives, fans, ect)? If you have not tried this it should be your next step since you cannot simply test with another PSU.

If you do go to test this way, go ahead and check the CPU Socket out while you are taking it all apart. BE CAREFUL, a few people have bent pins just trying to check, they are VERY Fragile!!

If you are unsure if you have bent pins or not post a few high res images, as clear as you can, from different angles under good bright light (Not flash)

Thank you to both of you :)

By b8h I only meant b8 hexadecimal code

No progress since yesterday, I tried all your suggestion but I didn't get further. Here are a few pictures

Attachment 2394

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information