Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Q6700 + X48-DS4 Overclocking drama

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Q6700 + X48-DS4 Overclocking drama

What kind of CPU cooler you have? Idle temps are not very important.
    Run 1-2 hours of Prime95 small and large FFT then 8+ hours Prime95 blend to ensure stability, see that temperatures are not getting too high.
    Good to see you are making some progress and the drame is (hopefully) over.

the cooler in using is a TRUE with 2 fans, i did run Prime95 blend torture test for half and hour while i went out and did a few things. the temps during which i was checking with Real Temp maxed out at 54 on 1 core. average was 50 though, however this is in an air conditioned room. i live in a fairly hot and humid area of Australia so i try to keep my use of my PC without A/C to a minimum even though my case has plenty of ventilation.

but i will definately run Prime95 more in depth to ensure the clock is ok. i to hope that the drama is over with, thank you so much for spending so much time trying to work out my now obvious RAM issues. ive noticed almost no difference between 4Gb and 8Gb so im thinking of either selling the other pair or using them in a second PC that gets no O/C action.

thanks again :D:D very happy now

EDIT: a bit of info i forgot to add, my original overclock had stock voltage on the CPU, i ran Prime and got a blue screen almost right away. figured it was lack of power to the CPU so at present ive got vcore at 1.350v it seems to be doing the trick. no blue screens since.
    Last edited by broke; 04-22-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Run IBT(Intel BurnTest) at max stress level see what temps and GFlops you get, it gives good indication if there is enough vcore.

You still with 320MHz FSB? if temps are low enough there's no reason to run 333MHz or 400+MHz with 3.2-3.6 GHz.

For gaming and normal use 4GB is plenty, unless you have other needs it should be enough.

hi Chike, i just ran IBT at max stress for 5 passes. it completed it successfully. however im not sure how to interpret the result so i attached a screen. :)

Looks ok +- I don't have my results to compare right now.

70-75c core temps are ok for IBT run, you may try 333MHz FSB x 10. In normal use temps would not get anywhere near that.

The higher FSB will also result with better memory performance, you can compare with MaxxMEM² - PreView or Eeverest Memory and cache benchmark.

You are using the memory kit with higher tRFC, the other kit is a no go?

i ran it again with 1.325V and got pretty much same everything, except the test took/went longer?
    not sure what you make of that. yes this RAM set is the one with the higher tRFC. the other set, i couldnt even get to work at 4-4-4-12 without the system failing. i could try again though if you think the other set would be better.

so the 333MHz your referring to is the RAM multi?

ok, im now running 333x10 @ 3.33GHz with 1.325v. this actually seems to work a little better, i also changed the multi to "B" ? 333MHz. i shall run another IBT to see how it goes. it also now reads 3.33GHz in system info through windows. something 3.20GHz did not.

It is the Flops(FLoating point Operations Per Second) note that it has used 200MB more the second test thats why it took longer.

Lower tRFC will result in s lightly better memiru berformance, nothing big.

333MHz FSB(CPU Hist Frquency) with 2.40B memory multiplier and vcore as needed.

ok i had, 333fsb, 2.40B and 1.350v and got blue screen in standard test. ive moved upto 1.3625v (the next one up) to see if this works. but the temps are better at 333Mhz

VID range for Q6700 is 0.85-1.5v, up to 1.5v the temps sre the only concern.

EDIT: please post full settings also.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information