Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

Bittornado is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte Award X58 BIOS LED Debug Codes

Hello again guys.

I'm back here still with the same problem as mentioned in my earlier post here in this thread... basically having a nightmare getting any kind of POST after having a bad BIOS flash, done by Gigabyte's own @BIOS software...though I think I might have used the wrong version of the software along with my motherboard :(
    Immediately after the BIOS upgrade during the next automatic boot up, the board simply refused to POST and is yet to do so still...

I initially tried several different CPUs, including an old good i7-920 since it should be compatible with my REV 1.0 GA-X58A-UD7 mobo...since before everything went dark I had noticed that my back-up BIOS did contain the official F2 BIOS version, so i figured it should kick-start from that when it realizes that the main BIOS doesn't POST.
    But that never happened unfortunately. I initially got some different debug error code messages in my debug LED onboard, but mainly something like b8/68 at first.

I then tried every possible solution found on internet for jumpstarting the board with its back-up BIOS, but all failed miserably. It was like my mobo never realized that the main BIOS didn't function properly and kept insisting to start from it instead of switching over to the back-up BIOS chip.

Anyway, I really really love my 1366-set up, so I went ahead and did order a newly flashed GA-X58A-UD7 BIOS chip with Gigabyte's official F9D BIOS version already flashed on it from the following well reputed site on eBay:

The BIOS Chip for All Kinds of Gigabyte Motherboards Desktop Pcs | eBay

I received the BIOS chip, I then got help from a very good friend, who professionally replaced the board's old main BIOS chip with this new one.
    I was hoping that swapping the old bricked chip to a new one would then surely solve the problem.

Well, the result has been nothing but disappointing, to say the least..........
    The problem with no POSTing persists still.

Upon starting up even with the new main BIOS chip installed, the board does start up, the fans of the video card do start turning, then I immediately receive a "b9" debug LED code from which the start up process never goes beyond...after about 10-15 seconds idle in this "b9" state, I then receive a "C1" debug code, the board restarts, and then idles at the same "b9" debug code again, and this same process is repeated over and over and over again....until I manually shut down the board :(

I again have tried every possible procedure explained in different sites including some suggestions here at tweakdown like the CPU switch on and off method and BIOS pins jumpstart method etc to either get a proper POST or at least to make the board switch over to the back-up BIOS chip, without any success at all.
    I never receive any kind of POST on the screen. I have installed different CPUs (i7-920, 930, 980, 980X) and different RAMs both in one single, double or triple configuration (Corsair, G-Skill).

NOTHING

Please guys......is there anyone here with a little bit more insight to what this "b9" debug error code might stand for???
    I mean.....I'm not an engineer or computer expert in any way....but isn't it highly unlikely that some other electronic circuitry of the motherboard would have gone bad ONLY because of an unsuccessful BIOS flash, when everything started during first reboot after the reflashing was done?

I do realize that I have no way to prove whether the newly flashed BIOS chip I bought from eBay is actually 100% functional or not....but even so, why on earth doesn't the back-up BIOS on this damn board ever kicks in IF the main problem is just a badly flashed main BIOS??? Since there is no way to manually make this board to switch over to the back-up BIOS, I'd really really really need to understand the meaning of a "b9" debug error code and possibly why the board hangs in that state.

Please guys, ANY further help/comment/advice would be tremendously appreciated at this point as I can not get my head around this one anymore!
    Does anyone have suggestions to how I may proceed from here or have any experience with similar situation to please help me out??

Many thx in advance.
    Last edited by Bittornado; 06-05-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Guys,

Just wanted to make a last effort to bump this thread one last time to see whether there is ANYONE out there with enough know-how to please read through my last and previous post about my issues with a Giagabyte GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard which went totally dark and refused posting after a bad bios flash, apparently due to using the wrong @BIOS version for the flashing process :(

I have now even replaced the main bios on this motherboard with a new one flashed to the latest official bios version for this board, F9A. Done by a professional person in the business.

BUT the board still just circle around some C1 and b9 debug error codes and never post anything at all :(

Is there a possibility that something else, some other chips/circuits/connections or other hardware parts might have gotten damaged because of a bad flash bios process??? I'm not the brightest dude when it comes to technical parts of making a motherboard, but logically in my mind it seems kinda unlikely that anything else apart from the main bios might have become damaged. And since I have now replaced the main bios with a brand new one flashed professionally from a very reliable source with the latest official F9A bios for this specific board....does anyone have any idea what else I should be looking at please?

As you might know this is still a very top end motherboard which I was very happy using and they are hardly ever being sold at the second hand market, might be a couple of them showing up in US or Germany but none of these sellers ever would consider shipping internationally so I'm kinda stuck with it atm if I don't wanna upgrade the whole system :(

I have tried every possible tricks on internet to get the spare bios chip on this board to kick in, but somehow it just doesn't want to comply with that either, so I'm definitely stuck with a black screen and a totally non posting motherboard :(

ANY help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    I truly apologize for bumping this thread once more, but my last post was like 4 weeks ago without any reply at all so I just wanted to give it a last shot.

I welcome any helpful comments good people :)
    Many thx in advance.

Comet 67P ( Exploring with Philae - Rosetta Lander)

You know by now that C1 Detect memory, Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC, Auto-detection of L2 cache and b9 are all memory related codes. I will infer that you are having some kind of memory issues with the motherboard. Either memory compatibility or similar. Was the professional who installed the bios also testing the board for you..?? Were you the one who updated the bios? Does it show the boot screen at all???
    i5 4670k - z87x-ud4h (soho)
    16gb RipJaws
    Corsair PSU, 7870 HD OC 2GB
    Samsung SSD , 3 WD Black Storage.
    Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) z97x- Soc(test bench@4790k, 32gb gskill)
    z97x-Ud5h(workstation)

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacToe View Post
    You know by now that C1 Detect memory, Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC, Auto-detection of L2 cache and b9 are all memory related codes. I will infer that you are having some kind of memory issues with the motherboard. Either memory compatibility or similar. Was the professional who installed the bios also testing the board for you..?? Were you the one who updated the bios? Does it show the boot screen at all???
    Thank you very much for your reply!

Yes I do understand from what I read in the debug code post at the beginning of this thread that it could be memory related, but to be honest, I don't understand how that could be?

You see, the motherboard was working flawlessly. All I wanted was to upgrad the board with a modded Intel Rapid Storage Technology version which would allow and pass TRIM command with a RAID-0 configuration, which the original version of Intel Matrix Rapid Tech on-board did not.
    Anyway, I tried to upgrade the bios version with Gibagyte's own recommended tool, @BIOS.
    But I suspect that I might have downloaded the wrong version not suitable for my board...even though it did install without a hitch and it accepted the new bios rom file.

So while everything is working without a hitch, the bios re-flash is done with @BIOS tool.

@BIOS works on Windows level. So the upgrade seemed to be successful, I got a message that the computer will now reboot.
    And then all hell broke lose upon that reboot...from that moment on, noting was ever posted and since then I have not been able to see any sign of the boot screen at all :( Not even after the bios chip was replaced with a new one.

Unfortunately, the technician who replaced the bios chip for me told me from the start that he had no means to check things out on whether the board would actually boot or not after replacing the bios chip, since he did not have proper CPU or RAMs for it to test it out.
    But looking at the work he has done on the board, everything seems to have been done VERY professionally, very clean work and visually and seemingly I don't have any remarks on the job he has done really...

The thing is that before the bios chip was replaced, I got slightly different debug codes.
    I believe the former warning code was mostly "C0 and 68". It might have been "b8" as well, can't remember very exactly...
    Now it gets stuck between "C1 & b9" all the time.

I'm using the exact same memory module sticks I was using before when the board was functional until the bad bios flash appeared...I then used a total of 24 GB (maximum capacity).
    I now have tried with one, two, three, four, five and six sticks of RAMs, but the result is the same --> the board keeps looping itself between C1 to b9 and then restarts by itself and does it over and over again....

A good friend owns the exact same motherboard, so we have tested both my RAMs and his RAMs on his motherboard, and everything seems to be fine, all sticks are good. MEMTEST with my RAM sticks on his board gives no errors. I also have tried his RAMs in my board, but no luck there either.
    So if this is truly a memory reading issue now, then how could that be related to an unsuccessful bios flash??? A bad bios flash could certainly not damage my RAM slots, could it??

Also I have tested with differnt CPUs (920, 930, 970, 980x). No luck.
    Different PSUs, no luck.
    Replaced the CMOS battery, no luck.

And absolutely nothing seems to be physically wrong with the board, at least not to the naked eye....no burned circuits, no damaged parts, no nothing :(

So would you have any ideas of how I might be able to pinpoint the problem further? I really can not get my head around this one really. Since I get no post and no boot screen whatsoever, it's not easy to guess what the problem might be, I do understand that...but I don't know what issues are the most common culprits to cause a totally black screen with no post and no boot screen along with those debug code indications.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Bittornado; 07-06-2015 at 04:46 AM.

Guys...should I permanently give up on my beloved board then?? Doesn't seem as if anyone was able to give me some further advice as of how to try and solve my issue above... :(

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

It's possible that bent, damaged or misaligned cpu socket pins might be part of the problem.

As I understand it, when you boot with a Gigabyte dual bios motherboard, there is always some type of communication between the main and the backup bios chips. If this is true, then it seems to me that a problem with the backup bios chip might be part of or causing the problem.

In Lsdme's Gigabyte dead dual bios thread, it often took some of the users many, many tries to get the "shorted"/jumpered bios pin trick to finally work. In some cases jumpering the bios chip's pins did not work. As I recall getting the psu power on trick to work often took quite a few attempts before it sometimes worked.

Have you tried booting your system with a minimal hardware setup with the motherboard sitting on a cardboard box outside of the computer case?
    This minimal setup should have all cables and wires disconnected that are not needed for booting into the bios.
    I've seen several instances where a problem with the power on or reset wires or switches prevented systems from booting.
    In a few cases there were booting/posting problems that were caused by the keyboard or usb cable connections.

Have you tried testing with a different power supply with your motherboard?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information