Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-P55-USB3 Core i7 860 Turbo always on...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P55-USB3 Core i7 860 Turbo always on...

Please stop using @BIOS!!! Thank you!

Use Qflash, and in that program be sure you set Keep DMI Data to disabled, guide is here if you are unsure how to use Qflash:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

So all is good now with your Turbo issues?

I was just told about @BIOS in another forum lol, thanks for the advice!

Anyway, before updating my BIOS I did see x21 most of the time and occasionally x22 - which I assume is how turbo is supposed to work. While Turbo is on auto I have never seen it go down to 21, only 22. Before, everything was on auto and the power saving was working - saw frequencies way below 2.8 and multipliers around 9, 15... but since updating I have had to set those settings manually in order for them to work. Originally everything was how it should be, now manually setting things everything is close, I either have x21 with power saving, or x22 with power saving. I basically wanted to get this figured out before I start overclocking a bit - I don't want to do anything serious, but if there's something wrong I'd like it to not be an underlying issue going into the process.

Also, here are some screens of 4 programs reading everything, including CPU-Z, in case there's a problem with one or something. The only difference I've seen is that at one point I saw a multiplier of 25 in CPU-Z... but I think it was a lower frequency too somehow? Haven't seen that since.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry, I am not very familiar with 1156 boards/CPU's.

I do see your CPU has 21-26 CPU multi though with max clock being 3.56Ghz (26x133)
    Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor (8M Cache, 2.80 GHz) with SPEC Code(s) SLBJJ

There is a few things that control this CPU multi/turbo. Of course the Turbo setting in the BIOS, and I believe your BIOS also allows you to set "Per Core" turbo multi's correct? C1E and EIST, and windows power plan settings also affect this. If you want to use turbo you need to leave C1E enabled I believe, could be EIST though, sorry again like I said not sure about 1156 really. I know one must be enabled for turbo to work

If you plan to overclock though, just disable turbo and set your own multi manually. Then use high performance power profile in windows, and go into the advanced power settings and set min/max CPU States to 100%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information