Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA790GP-DS4H problem with LSI RAID card bios

Default GA-MA790GP-DS4H problem with LSI RAID card bios

Hi guys,

I have a GA-MA790GP-DS4H board running the 7a bios and I am having trouble getting it to work with an LSI 3041E-R RAID controller.

The problem is the system hangs during boot up when the computer is going through the part of the bios when the option ROMs (things like the on-board RAID bios and NIC boot agents) are loaded. The card works just fine if I define a volume and disable the card's bios, indeed I ran Vmware's ESXi software like this, but that won't work if I want to boot from the RAID volume.

More details:

If I install the LSI RAID card into the system without any drives connected the bios loads and the system boots. The raid card bios loads, but doesn't find any drives so (I assume) it unloads itself from memory and the system boots. I have Windows installed on a hard drive connected to the onboard sata RAID and the system successfully loads windows and installs a driver for the card.

If I move those drives off the on-board SATA raid and connect them to the LSI card I can create a volume in the raid card bios and save it. The new volume is detected when I reboot but right when the raid card is handing over control back to the motherboard bios it hangs the system and I must reset it.

If I delete the raid array from the card and reboot the system bios loads up the RAID card bios and exits with this error message:

"Warning, 1 drives are reported. BIOS memory allocation is full"

So the problem is that the RAID card's bios won't fit into the memory available to the system when it boots. Any idea how to approach Gigabyte to get this fixed? So far they have suggested I try changing the boot order and buying a new motherboard, both suggestions I found to be...lacking.

Thank you!

-Will

Default Re: GA-MA790GP-DS4H problem with LSI RAID card bios

I am not familiar with that controller, but I'm thinking something is set wrong in BIOS, or maybe you wont have the option without a BIOS for it. I am not sure.
    Do you have the LSI 3041E-R RAID controller boot option in BIOS? You may want to search the boot devices and HDD boot priority.
    http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/m...0gp-ds4h_e.pdf
    Code:
    Advanced BIOS Features
    } IGX Configuration [Press Enter]
    AMD C1E Support [Disabled]
    Virtualization [Disabled]
    AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control [Auto]
    } Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter]
    First Boot Device [Floppy]
    Second Boot Device [Hard Disk]
    Third Boot Device [CDROM]
    Password Check [Setup]
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability [Disabled]
    Away Mode [Disabled]
    Full Screen LOGO Show [Enabled]
    Backup BIOS Image to HDD [Disabled]
    Init Display First [PCI Slot]
    Hard Disk Boot Priority
    Specifies the sequence of loading the operating system from the installed hard drives. Use the up or down arrow key to select a hard drive, then press the plus key <+> (or <PageUp>) or the minus key <-> (or <PageDown>) to move it up or down on the list. Press <Esc> to exit this menu when finished. First/Second/Third Boot Device
    Specifies the boot order from the available devices. Use the up or down arrow key to select a device and press <Enter> to accept. Options are: Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, Legacy LAN, Disabled.
    You may want to search for the option here too.
    Code:
    Integrated Peripherals
    OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]
    OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
    OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE]
    x OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type [IDE]
    Onboard Audio Function [Enabled]
    Onboard 1394 Function [Enabled]
    Onboard LAN Function [Enabled]
    �� SMART LAN [Press Enter]
    Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
    OnChip USB Controller [Enabled]
    USB EHCI Controller [Enabled]
    USB Keyboard Support [Disabled]
    USB Mouse Support [Disabled]
    Legacy USB storage detect [Enabled]
    Onboard Serial Port 1 [3F8/IRQ4]
    Onboard Parallel Port [378/IRQ7]
    Parallel Port Mode [SPP]
    x ECP Mode Use DMA 3
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Hello

I have the exact same problem with LSI SAS9211-4i HBA.

My GA-MA790GP-DS4H have the F6 bios, my lsi card have the latest firmware & bios.

I've tried changing boot order in bios but nothing. In the boot sequence in bios I don't have the lsi controller.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

PS : sorry for my bad english I'm french.

Hi Trantor, I was able to get this problem resolved by opening up a ticket with Gigabyte support. It took a while and there were several emails exchanged before they really understood what the problem was. While I was working with them I also opened a ticket with LSI to see if they would be able to provide any advice to Gigabyte's bios engineers. In the end Gigabyte support was able to provide me with a new BIOS, version F7F, that allowed my DS4H to boot with the RAID card installed. I would contact Gigabyte support and tell them you are looking for the F7F BIOS with the RAID card fix and see if they will provide it to you as well. I am also working on them to include this fix in all the AMD bios they will be releasing to support the 6 core processors. -Will

Quote Originally Posted by survive View Post
    Hi Trantor, I was able to get this problem resolved by opening up a ticket with Gigabyte support. It took a while and there were several emails exchanged before they really understood what the problem was. While I was working with them I also opened a ticket with LSI to see if they would be able to provide any advice to Gigabyte's bios engineers. In the end Gigabyte support was able to provide me with a new BIOS, version F7F, that allowed my DS4H to boot with the RAID card installed. I would contact Gigabyte support and tell them you are looking for the F7F BIOS with the RAID card fix and see if they will provide it to you as well. I am also working on them to include this fix in all the AMD bios they will be releasing to support the 6 core processors. -Will
    if there all the same board try uploading that bios to a free file hosting site,then the others can use it to flash with
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

+1 ^^

Please post that BIOS here so others can be able to use this board in that configuration. You may also post it to the latest BIOS thread, if you do post the changes/fixes it provides.

Thanks

First, thank for your quick answer :)

Second : +1 ^^ (need that bios )

I spent hours of testing, and finaly it's just a stupid BIOS fix (Gigabytes lol)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If he does not upload it for you guys, I will get it for you tomorrow direct.

Please send him (Survive) a PM, so he will get an email reminder to check this thread

Hi guys, I have the fixed bios but it's to big to attach as a zip file. I would still contact Gigabyte about this issue and let them know that it's important that they implement this fix across all their AMD bioses. I'm currently asking them to fix the bios for the GA-MA790GP-UD4H to correct the same problem. It should be less of a fight this time around, but I would rather it be fixed globally so I don't have to worry about my RAID working when I flash a new bios or move to a new board. -Will

No need to attach it.

Just upload it on rapidshare (200MB limit) or megaupload (1GB limit).

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information