Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-x58a-UD5 + i7 930 cold boot issue

Default Re: GA-x58a-UD5 + i7 930 cold boot issue

Hi There,

I have just bought a Gigabyte GM-EX58-UD5 which I guess maybe having the same problems as you. Complete Spec as follows.

Gigabyte GM-EX58-UD5
    Intel Core i7 930
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 6GB 1600Mhz
    Corsair VX550 PSU
    2 x Western Digital SATAII 320GB Hard Disks
    Old Matrox PCI video card as I dont need serious graphics

I have upgraded the BIOS to version F12, which has improved things slightly.. but the following issues still arise...

The LAN ports disappear until I power off at the wall and Clear the CMOS
    Random Cold Restarts

The machine seemed to be nearly stable for 18 hours and then just cold started as I went to start installing more software.

I'm trying to run Windows Server 2008 32 bit, but have also tried Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, all with the same issues. I of course have all the latest drivers, which seem to work fine when the machine is actually up and running.

I am desperatly hoping we have something in common here and can help each other resolve these problems.

Regards
    Jus.

To me it sounds more like its related to the network adapter? As you problably understand I'm not very familiar with this board, or the x58 chipset for that matter, yet.

You have installed the latest drivers from Gigabytes website, or the ones from the disk that came with the MB? I know you said you installed the latest drivers, but just doublechecking..

Have you checked system logs in the event viewer in Windows? That might give you some clues if the crash/reboot happens when you are in Windows.

I have problems with sleep/hybernation. The system rebooted when going into sleepmode, so I have turned off all of that in Windows 7 for the moment. I've also had 2 crashes that looks to be related when the application experience in Win 7 starts, as thats the last event before the system crash. I have not investigated that issue yet, but for all I know it's all related to the general instability in my system before I manually sat the QPI/Vtt voltage(?) I have not had any crashes or reboots after I altered that. I will try to turn on the sleepmodes and see if I can provoke a reboot or crash later today.

Hopefully Lsdmeasap has some better advice?

Hi there,

Yup I originally thought it was a network issue, all the reports I have read indicate that the bios / realtek chipset were not playing nicely with each other...

Beyond the latest drivers on the Gigabyte website, I went and found all the chipset drivers from the relevant vendors... Realtek actually had one which was a 0.00x relase newer, so a very minor version update... After this the networking seemed to behave nicely.

I am also running the system at standard cpu speed... I've only loaded the Optimized defaults in the BIOS and not tweaked any voltage settings yet... I'm going to have a look at the now, hopefully with some better news.

I've always been a Gigabyte fan, and I'm really suprised / shocked / disappointed that its having these issues.. I'm a firm believer in ironing out these problems so it helps others in the future, so I hope we can get our situations resolved.

Cheers

Jus

Update:

I've just been into the bios and loaded up the XMP Profile 1, this has adjusted the memory speed to 16000, and the voltages to DDR:- 1.65 and QPI 1.35

The good news... now it starts to boot and then cold re-boots half way in... I guess this is good news as my problem may not be related to bios / network chipset incompatibility as I originally feared.

Any thoughts as to where I go from here?

BTW, to be exact, my memory is Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D

Many thanks,

Jus.

its normal sometimes for it to double boot before it loads into windows,newer bios's should fix it,my ud5 was the same,have you tried disabling xmp and manually setting dram voltage and qpi/vtt voltage and memory multliplier and ram timings???
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Wazza,

Thanks for your response :-)

Well I disabled XMP and the system went back to previous state, running for a bit and then dying... So i have just installed the beta f13c bios, cleared the cmos and loaded the optimized settings, leaving everything else stock..

I'm running a burn in test now which seems to be going ok... once its done I'll do as you say and manual set the memory voltages etc...

Fingers crossed.

Cheers
    Jus.

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetMad69 View Post
    I've just been into the bios and loaded up the XMP Profile 1, this has adjusted the memory speed to 16000, and the voltages to DDR:- 1.65 and QPI 1.35
    A little input on this one. We don't have the excact same board, so this might be different for you, but when I load my memory xmp profile I still have to manually change the QPI/Vtt voltage. Can you try Easytune or some other program to read your actual QPI/Vtt in Windows, and see if it really is 1.35v?

Hi Marooned,

Yup different boards, but I really believe it's down to being twitchy memory...

I can't actually boot into windows long enough to run anything unless I am running a stock profile... But I would imagine that any windows App will only query the bios for the voltages at runtime.

I'm slowly working through manually tweaking everything, and so far only made it worse lol.

I hope with some more relentless patients I'll get there... I hate being beaten !

Just a side thought, I have manually fixed all the timings for the RAM too, in my case to 8-8-8-24, so as to eliminate any AUTO nonsense.

Update Laters

Jus.

Ah, I see.. But have you checked the advanced voltage control page in the M.I.T after enableing XMP profile? Does the QPI/Vtt still read auto or 1.35? Just to make sure.. In my case it's still auto, and I have to change manually:)

Yup XMP is disabled and I am manually tweaking everything....

I thought I had it cracked a minute ago... system was up and ran a burn in test successfully for 30 mins... feeling confident I thought I'd try install the Gigabyte tools, and as soon as the cd tray closed the PC died again....

Just a thought, I've actually ended up reducing the QPI Voltage back to normal 1.175 with a DRAM voltage of 1.660 and its given me the best results so far...

Also set the System Memory Multiplier to 12 with a BCLK of 133 (133 standard for i7 930) to achieve 1600Mhz.

I just find it strange that it was stable till I accessed the CD on 3 occasions now.

More tweaking lol

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information