Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-x58a-UD5 + i7 930 cold boot issue

Default GA-x58a-UD5 + i7 930 cold boot issue

I built a new system 2 days ago.

Spec: ga-x58a-ud5, i7 930 and Kingston KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX.

The system posted just fine, but when I tried to install Win 7 it went into a reboot loop when the windows logo showed for the first time after install (just before the "windows is setting up registry" or something, part of the install prossess.

I tried to load fail safe defaults in the main screen of the bios without any luck. After some trial and error I got it to continue the rest of the installation prossess after loading fail-safe defaults specificly on the MB Intelligent Tweaker menu in bios. What that did was lowering the multiplier on the CPU to x15.

Everything seemed to run smoothly on that setting. I flashed the bios to the f5 version (this mb doesnt seem to have i7 930 support until version f4 according to Gigabyte), and to my great joy I was able to run the CPU at stock speed setting seemingly without any issues.

I ran the system all yesterday and had a couple of unexpected reboots with "kernel power event id 41" showing in Event Viewer. Bugcheck doesnt indicate any hardware issues as far as I could see. This first happened when I left the system alone for a while, and I think it is a sleepmode/hybernation thing so I turned that off in Windows. Not sure if its resolved, but I will know soon and come back with results.

I then played a 4 hour session with Battlefield Bad Company 2 with no crashes or issues what so ever.

But when I booted the system up this morning Windows got stuck in a reboot loop again during startup. I had to turn the CPU multiplier back down to x15 with the fail-safe default setting to get it to start properly. So now I'm back to scratch. I have successfully increased the multiplier back up to x21 after running the system for a bit and it seems to work stable again so far.

- I have run windows memtest and memtest86+ without errors, so the ram seems fine. It doesnt matter if I run one stick of ram or all 3. Same cold boot issue.
    - I dont think its a PSU issue as it worked fine earlier this week on mye old build witch was heavily oc'ed.
    - I have tried to switch the hard drive and done a fresh install of Windows 7 on it with the same issues.
    - I have tried to change the GPU from my current 5870 to a gtx 8800 without any results.

Any tips or simular experiences?

Default Re: GA-x58a-UD5 + i7 930 cold boot issue

Also I have tried to change the ram to run at xmp settings (9-9-9-24 1t) ,witch for some reason showed up as 10-9-9-24 1t in bios and cpuz. It doesnt matter if I run the ram in xmp setting or default 1066mhz 8-8-8-20 1t setting, the cold boot/cyclic reboot issue was still there until I changed the cpu multiplier to x15.

have you tried updateing the bios to GA-X58A-UD5 - F6d http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
    Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
    6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
    2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt
    Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, please try the very latest BIOS posted here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Then load Optimized Defaults, NOT Fail safe and then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS again set your SATA/Disk settings, then go set your ram and QPI/Vtt voltages (This is probably your issue, try 1.25-1.35 QPI/Vtt for now and 1.66 Dram).

Then give me your full current settings in a template and I will advise back. No need to use x15 CPU multi either, please do as I mentioned above and you shouldn't have any issues (At least for a bit) once you set those two voltages

I will try the latest beta bios, and post back results. Thanks! The latest I could (easily) find on Gigabyte's page was the f5 version.

Now, when it comes to voltage.. I problably failed to mention that I have not done any overclocking yet. Only running stock. I find it wierd if I have to manually set any voltages on my motherboard to get a supported cpu to run at stock settings, as I have never had to do that before. Now, I have always been an Asus man, and I'm new to this whole Gigabyte thing, so what do I know? I will give it a try if upgrading to beta bios doesnt help.

We host all the current Beta's here, they do not publish them on the main site due to possible issues with un-knowledgeable users flashing constantly as updates come out.

Overclocking or not, you need to set your own ram voltage and QPI/Vtt, this is a must. This is memory related, not CPU related, just the memory controller is now in the CPU is all. You don't need to change vcore or anything like that.

I can help you with full settings, don't worry! Once you update and set your own QPI/Vtt and Dram voltages, tinker with the QPI/Vtt a bit and then if you dont have any luck give me your full settings in a template from my signature and I can advise back settings for you to tinker with.

Auto settings is really only for you to get the board up and running, Gigabyte makes enthusiast overclocking boards not OEM Plug and Play types. So don't expect auto to work always or for very long, these are really only meant to get you going so you can set your own settings.

Hi,

I just manage to pull of my first cold boot with no issues.

I set the QPI/Vtt to 1.255 v
    Kept the dram voltage to 1.5 v, but that is according to ram spec for my current setting (1066 mhz, 8-8-8-20 1t).

I have not touched the bios yet, and will not touch it if manually setting QPI/Vtt voltage solved the problem.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is stable. Will most certainly post results. Thanks for input so far:)

See what I mean! I knew you could get it, it's all about the settings even if you are running stock.

Your memory is 1600Mhz C9, not what you mentioned. Or did you mean just for that 1066Mhz speeds you wanted to leave things like that?

I can help you setup all your settings so you can run your memory at it's intended stock speed of 1600Mhz CAS 9 if you want, just let me know

Just booted up again this morning, no problem. Everything looks good so far!

Yeah, I know my memorys xmp profile is 1600mhz c9. I just ran it at 1066mhz for now, but will change it for sure. My plan was to do some mild clocking for starters on the system when I get it 100% stable, so I will try to get the best out of my memory as well. I'm looking for lowest timings, not highest mem clock speed at first. Will problably up the mhz to 1600 when I get up to higher clockspeeds on the cpu.

Will problably as for som tips and tricks on this forum as this is my first x58 build and oc. But I see there is a lot of topics on the subject allready so I might find alot of info there:)

Btw. is 50 c northbridge temp normal for my setup running as it is on x58 chipset?

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post

Btw. is 50 c northbridge temp normal for my setup running as it is on x58 chipset?
    I have no extra cooling on it yet, but pretty decent airflow i my Lian Li.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information