Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX58-UD4P + AHCI + SSD == unstable

Default EX58-UD4P + AHCI + SSD == unstable

Hi all,
    I am getting random crashes (cold boots!) when I connect SSDs to any SATA controller in AHCI or RAID mode. My aim is to use two Supertalent UltraDrive GX 128GB SSD on the Intel ICH10 in a RAID 0 configuration.

My system is a EX58-UD4P board with Intel ui7-940 and OCZ 6GB RAM. This setup has been working perfectly with three Samsung 640GB Spinpoint HDD drives connected to Sata 0-2 in a RAID 0 configuration with Windows 7 x64. No crashes, no problems whatsoever.

But as soon as I connect and use an SSD, the system becomes unstable: It will run fine for about 30 minutes to two hours, but then suddenly power down completely, fans stop running, leds go off, for about two seconds. It then does a cold boot. There is no entry in the Win7 logs except "system lost power unexpectedly".

I can rule out:
    1. sata controller (tried three different ones)
    2. operating system (used an existing installation and did at least 5 fresh installs)
    3. cables (used cables that had been working for over a year with my hdds)
    4. power (used external power supply for SSD)
    5. SSDs (used three different SSDs bought over a period of three months)
    6. Bios (used F11, F13, F14d)

Using IDE mode with the SuperTalent drives works fine, but I need a RAID configuration for speed.

SSD + AHCI + Gigabyte Motherboard = unstable ?
    SSD + RAID + Gigabyte Motherboard = unstable ?

Here are the details of my lastest attempt:
    I disconnected all drives except the SSD. The SSDs was connected to the Intel SATA port 0.
    I updated my Bios to F14d (suggested by Gigabyte Support).
    I did NOT keep DMI data, it was rebuild at first boot after Bios flash.
    I did erase CMOS data.
    Immediately after flashing the Bios I changed these settings in the Bios:
    Load optimized default on the CPU / Clock page.
    Changed Intel SATA controller mode from IDE to RAID.

I then installed Win7 with Intel RST 9.6 F6 floppy driver for the ICH10 mode. Installation took a while but was fine.
    I then ran Atto Diskbenchmark. It showed me write performance up to 190MB/s and read performance close to 260MB/s, which is what I expected.
    The Supertalent SSD firmware is 1916, it came with that firmware installed.

I set Atto Diskbenchmark to run continuously. After about an hour the system suddenly powered down, waited two seconds and did a cold boot.

Now for the really weird parts:
    These symptoms happen with three entirely different SSDs
    1. I tried a Samsung 256GB in feburary
    2. an UltraDrive GX 256 in march
    3. and currently an UltraDrive GX 128GB with Firmware 1916.
    4. and also with a second UltraDrive GX128GB

I tried lots of different setups:
    1. connecting the SSDs to the onboard Intel IHC10 Controller set to AHCI
    2. the onboard Intel ICH10 Controller set to RAID
    3. the Gigabyte onboard Sata Controller (jMicron) set to AHCI
    4. and a PCIe Sata Controller set to AHCI.

I swapped SATA and power cables and even tried an external eSata Dockingstation. All setups showed the same symptoms: random cold boots after a while.
    Note: The same settings work absolutely fine when my Samsung HDDs are connected.

So I finally decided the mainboard must have a problem, even though it is working just fine with a regular HDD, and took my computer to my computer shop. Thats when things got really strange.

They connected the Ultradrive SSD to two other computers with an X58 chipset: a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 and UD7 and tested with their harddrive test suite. Both these setups showed the same symptoms.

To sum things up: I have not been able to get a stable setup with SSD and AHCI. I've tried many different combinations of cables, power, Sata controller, mainboard, SSDs, Operating System. IDE mode works fine, but I need a RAID configuration.

What should I do?

Best regards

Hajo Kirchhoff

Specifics of my system:
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4P, Intel Corei7-920, Intel IHC10 Sata, 6GB RAM, not overclocked - running at correct speed, nVidia Graphics Card, BeQuiet PSU 600W, Bios F14d
    currently Supertalent Ultradrive GX with Firmware 1916

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX58-UD4P + AHCI + SSD == unstable

What do you mean by this, there is only 2 controllers on board?

1. sata controller (tried three different ones)
    I have this exact board and had no issues with 2 x Crucial SSD's in RAID, used it for a long time and never had issues. I did use the older Intel drivers (IE Not the RST ones) though, maybe this could help you?

Are you sure your system is stable otherwise, I mean have you tested with Prime95 or LinX? I ask because leaving Atto running like that will stress the system, and if it is not stable that could be why it is shutting down/failing on you and not really be caused by the disk or settings.

Not sure what to make of them testing on UD5 and UD7, other than these new SSD's you have maybe have issues? I have not used SSD on UD7 yet, but like I said I ran RAID on UD4P for at least 8 months, and also ran it on EX58-UD5 as well with no issues.

I have also ran a single SSD in NON Member RAID mode on both boards too, without issues. I'd suggest trying the older Intel RAID Drives for now and see if that helps you any

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I bought an separate PCIe RAID Controller for $30, plugged it into a PCIex4 Slot and got the same symptoms.

I did use the older Intel drivers (IE Not the RST ones) though, maybe this could help you?
    I have used MS AHCI drivers, Intel Matrix Manager Drivers and Intel RST drivers. Same problem with any driver.

Are you sure your system is stable otherwise, I mean have you tested with Prime95 or LinX?
    Absolutely 100%! This system has been 100% stable (no crashes, no blue screens) since May last year. I am a C++ software developer, working on a high-performance application, frequently maxing out CPU and RAID HW performance. The software I am working on is recording Gigabit LAN Network traffic and storing it on the RAID. No problems with the 3x Samsung HDDs, but unstable with SSD.

I ask because leaving Atto running like that will stress the system,
    I am only running Atto to speed up testing. The first crashes occured while the system was almost idle: I was reading mails, when the system shut down.

Not sure what to make of them testing on UD5 and UD7, other than these new SSD's you have maybe have issues?
    Four different SSDs all have issues? By two different manufacturers (Samsung + Supertalent)? Manufactured over a longer period of time so they are not from the same batch (first SSD bought in februar, second in march, third and fourth in mid april)?
    And the SSD is working fine in IDE mode?

I don't think its the problem of the SSDs.

Well, I'm glad to hear it works for you. Unfortunately it does not work for me.

Regards

Hajo

Ahh ok, about the controller.

The exact version I used last was 8.​​9.​​0.​​1023, did you try that version? I can upload it for you if you like, if so let me know in case you cant find it at Intel anymore. Do you have write back cache enabled? I always did, so just wondering.

Ya, this is odd for sure! Surely you couldn't have that bad of luck to get this many faulty drives in this same similar fashion, I agree!

Maybe it is your board, maybe the ICH is faulty somehow? You haven't RMA'd the board already have you? I guess that would mean the shop's UD5/UD7 is also bad too which is highly unlikely too.

Really not sure at all about this, you are the only one to have these kind of issues with RAID on these boards, and I have helped 1000's of users with them.

Sorry I can't offer any real fixes, only advice on how I used my boards in RAID. I wish I could be of more help!!

The exact version I used last was 8.​​9.​​0.​​1023, did you try that version? I
    Do you have write back cache enabled? I always did, so just wondering.
    Really not sure at all about this, you are the only one to have these kind of issues with RAID on these boards, and I have helped 1000's of users with them.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I did try Intel 8.9 but since the problems appear even with the Gigabyte onboard sata controller, it shouldn't matter really what intel driver is loaded.

My computer shop tested the drive on UD5 and UD7s, as I wrote already. Today I double-checked that they were using a different CPU and memory. They indeed used an entirely different HW setup. None of my original components were involved, except the SSD.

I'll be testing a different motherboard next. And I'll test the SSD yet again, this time with my Dell Latitude Intel Dual Core 2 and ICH8 controller. I am pretty sure the SSD will work just fine in AHCI mode, though.

I really have no clue what is going on. Perhaps anyone else?

Regards

Hajo

To me, it sounds like the SSD's themselves, I know that sounds crazy but that is the only thing I can see that would be the cause since you see the same results on someone else's 2 other boards.

I know it doesn't make since due to the multiple SSD's you used and their age differences, but not sure what else could be the cause at all? Sorry man, wish I could help more!

Are you using Native mode enabled when yous set RAID/AHCI? Also, did you remove the Gigabyte/J.Micron drivers when you were done testing those ports and started using the Intel ones again?

If not please do, these can cause issue sometimes and it's best to not have them installed if you are not using those ports.

I have this exact board and had no issues with 2 x Crucial SSD's in RAID, used it for a
    What Power Supply are you using? This is a long shot, but I am currently using a BeQuiet 600W PSU. It emits a very faint chirping noise that changes with the load. The BeQuiet FAQ says its normal and it never has been a problem with my 3xHDDs.

But five years ago I had a case of random reboots with a BeQuiet + Asus Mainboard combination, which was solved by replacing the BeQuiet with a Targa PSU.

Are there any known problems with BeQuiet+Gigabyte UD4P?

My working assumption would be that since SSDs result in a much higher IO rate, the voltage load must act differently compared against the RAID configuration.

Regards

Hajo

To me, it sounds like the SSD's themselves, I know that sounds crazy but that is the only thing I can see that would be the cause since you see the same results on someone else's 2 other boards.
    Well, the same argument could be used against the mainboards. Choose your side: either four different SSDs of two different brands failed or three motherboards of the same brand and product line are faulty.

Are you using Native mode enabled when yous set RAID/AHCI? Also, did you remove the Gigabyte/J.Micron drivers
    Thanks for asking. Yes and yes.

What bugs me is that the SSDs seem to work fine in IDE mode. At least the one I was testing monday and my computer shop said the same. Reboots in AHCI mode, works fine in IDE mode. If I didn't actually require the RAID configuration for my project I probably wouldn't mind.

Regards

Hajo

Quote Originally Posted by hajokirchhoff View Post
    What Power Supply are you using? This is a long shot, but I am currently using a BeQuiet 600W PSU. It emits a very faint chirping noise that changes with the load. The BeQuiet FAQ says its normal and it never has been a problem with my 3xHDDs.
    I should add that I am pretty sure my computer shop also used BeQuiet PSUs in their tests with UD5 and UD7 mainboards. They usually only sell these.

So if there was maybe a systematic problem with some BeQuiet PSUs and Gigabyte mainboards that could explain it.

I'll keep you updated.

Regards

Hajo

I am using an Ultra X3 850W

Your PSU might be part of the problem? 600W is pushing it on X58 and I have seen several issues with various sub 500 and 550-650W PSU's.

I have not heard of any issues with BeQuiet PSU's and Gigabyte boards, but not many people here (That I see anyway) often buy them so I may not hear issues as much as I would with others.

Ya, I see what you mean about the board vs SSD, but I help tons of users here with these boards everyday and you are the first I have seen with such issues. And since the SuperTalent drives you are using are Indilinux, they would be the same as the Crucial's I was using that I had no issues with on several boards, so really not sure what to think?

This is very odd to say the least, if you can please do go ahead and try a larger PSU. What did they test with at the shop, do you know? *Edit* do you know what wattage the ones they used was? It could be the brand/model or the wattage, but I haven't seen any issues with the brand itself and GIgabyte, so it may just be the wattage amount?

Very odd!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information