Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler, GA-X58A-UD5, and Corsair Dominator RAM fit

Default Re: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler, GA-X58A-UD5, and Corsair Dominator RAM fit

Thanks Grnkjr0,

I completely agree with you about the security of those tings. I was mainly talking about the long term strain on the board, especially with the heat. Example, If you've looked at a CD case (book shelf type) after awhile you'll notice some warping. Now, will I have the board/system long enough to see that, probably not, but...

In this case my mind just goes to the physcal nature of physics here. Personally I don't think cooler manufactures care or give it much thought as most overclockers don't keep their current systems that long anyway. Just something to think about, especailly since towers are getting bigger and heavier.

BTW thanks for the heads up on the Prolimatech Samuel but I'm going to pass on that one, even if I don't get the SE14. In that case I "may" get a tower.

Thanks.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
    6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
    ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
    Antec Signature SG-850 PS
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler, GA-X58A-UD5, and Corsair Dominator RAM fit

OK, so I got the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 in. Got it installed and thus far…. Results are mixed. Overall it’s about 3c degrees cooler than my old Zalman CNPS 9500 AT. With the Zalman I was averaging 75c load, 45c idle on my overclocked 930, the SE14 is averaging 72c load, 42c idle. Hmmm.

Where it excels is in noise. This thing is quiet, even with the processor running at full load. This of course is due to its large 140mm 1200 RPM constant speed fan. Even at its full 1200 RPM speed, this thing is quiet. If I want quieter, at the cost of higher temps, I can use one of the two voltage adapters to lower the RPMs but I don’t need them as this thing is quiet enough.

As to fit/clearance…. There’s no issues using it on a GA-X58A-UD5 MB. There was however a clearance issue with my Corsair Dominator RAM. Depending on orientation the cooler will hang over the first stick. Reorienting the cooler took care of that issue. To be honest this was a concern going in, as seen by the title of this thread.

At any rate, reorienting the cooler leaves clearance for the sticks without having to remove the heatsink from the first stick.

Attachment 2592

Also, though this thing is big, it’s surprisingly light, even with the fan attached.

BTW the cooler comes with Noctua’s NT-H1-1 thermo compound which actually outperforms Arctic Silver 5, though not by any wide margins. Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste Review - Overclockers Club

My own unscientific tests show both giving about the same results. However it’s been noted that Noctua’s paste settles quickly whereas Arctic’s paste takes a few days to settle. Hmmm….

So….did I get what I expected with this cooler? To be honest, the book is still open. I’ll give it a few more days as the NT-H1 thermo paste settles in. Yeah, I know I just said it settles quickly, but I also said "Hmmm…."

What I DO like about it is the low profile and low noise. With the fan running at full speed, this baby is quiet. I’m running four 120mm fans in my Antec P182 case. Two S-FLEX SFF21E’s, top and rear (20dBA), one Enermax Magma (18 dBA) front, and a stock Antec Fan in the lower mid chamber (had to replace a faulty Enermax Magma). With the combination the fan noise is more like a low running whoosh sound… like an AC in the background.

Also with the SE14’s fan blowing down it also provides cooling to the board’s components. Nice.
    With that said… if you’re going anywhere near a 4gig overclock, this cooler isn’t for you. This is more for the light to medium overclockers where noise is a factor. That’s me.

That’s my report for now.

Later
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

SE14 Installed...

Attachment 2593

Later
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Yeah it is but it’s surprisingly light. Overall I like it.

Here's a shot without the fan...

Attachment 2597
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Ahh cool, so you can attach any 140MM fan then too right?

At least the ones that can be hold by the wire clips, I'd presume.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh cool, so you can attach any 140MM fan then too right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    At least the ones that can be hold by the wire clips, I'd presume.
    Yeah you could say that.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

What a monster!

How does it handle high voltage heat, did you test yet?

Maybe you could also attach a 120 or 140MM to the under-side/CPU side with some zip ties or paper clips bent up. Get some push/pull action going on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information