Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 and X6

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 and X6

I would like to suggest, when you get it. Perform a out of case P.O.S.T. test. I believe you should always do this with a new motherboard anyhow.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/how-...ch-test-38512/
    Last edited by artdrivers; 05-18-2010 at 12:02 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

If it doesn't work, I mean due to you needing the latest BIOS into the board, you could probably find a very cheap old CPU on ebay that would work. I keep 775 socket Intel celerons around just for updating BIOS on certain boards that need it for newer CPU's, and they sell on ebay for $10 or so.

Surely you could find a similarly cheap AMD CPU on ebay for just this purpose as well, at least if it would need an update to the latest BIOS anyway and that was the only issue. I guess that wouldn't help much if it wasn't supported at all though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If it doesn't work, I mean due to you needing the latest BIOS into the board, you could probably find a very cheap old CPU on ebay that would work. I keep 775 socket Intel celerons around just for updating BIOS on certain boards that need it for newer CPU's, and they sell on ebay for $10 or so.

Surely you could find a similarly cheap AMD CPU on ebay for just this purpose as well, at least if it would need an update to the latest BIOS anyway and that was the only issue. I guess that wouldn't help much if it wasn't supported at all though.
    Oh it will be supported. A member on another forum got a review board from GB and said it works without issues and he was still on a pre-release BIOS. OCing, Turbo core and all the X6 features seem to be working on the pre-release model. The boards are shipping with F1.

I was informed the reason it was pulled from the CPU list is they are awaiting official certification for X6.

Ahh ok, well that's sounds promising then!

Cool to know, and thanks for posting about that so others will be aware

Got the board setup without any issues. Booted straight up and recognized the 1055T. Turbo core works as well. Haven't OCed yet though as I don't see an option to disable Turbo core.

Too bad migrating my C2D system to another box wasn't as painless. After thinking the CPU, Board, Ram and everything else was dead, turned out it was the PSU. Using an older Antec 430w 20pin ATX PSU for now to power that one. Good thing I barely have anything connected to it :)

Yep, glad it worked without a hitch. Now to wait for a BIOS update that disables TC so I can OC this beast!

You can't disable turbo? Hmm, that does not sound right, of course I don't know AMD BIOSes though.

Did you look in all BIOS sections? Did you try the hotkey? Hotkey is Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, after you press it the screen will flash, then go back and look in all sections

I think that the new AMD OverDrive has a Turbo Core Control utility. Maybe you can try that and let us know how that goes.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can't disable turbo? Hmm, that does not sound right, of course I don't know AMD BIOSes though.

Did you look in all BIOS sections? Did you try the hotkey? Hotkey is Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, after you press it the screen will flash, then go back and look in all sections
    Well, I'm not too familiar with AMD BIOS either as I have been building Intel systems for quite a while. All I really remember seeing was C1E and Quiet N Cool but don't recall anything with TC even in the advanced Ctrl + F1 menu.

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    I think that the new AMD OverDrive has a Turbo Core Control utility. Maybe you can try that and let us know how that goes.

As for AMD Overdrive, I think you are correct that you can disable it there. But I always preferred to keep my OCing (or anything really affecting the chip) in BIOS for the processor. But in AMD OD, the TC controls seem pretty nice. Can change the cores affected from 0 to 5, the Multi (max 16.5), VID and all that. But again, I was always weary in using non BIOS OCing for the CPU.

The real annoying thing now is I have speaker interference and not sure where it's coming from! The USB (mouse) and loading 'hum'. It's very low though.

Edit: Wow, they just lowered the price on Newegg to $99.99 with free shipping. Surprised this is now the cheapest 870 board out and looks like the best too.
    Last edited by qwertyaas; 05-21-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information