Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Sorry 2 All - I May Not Be In Tonight (Dry Ice Session In Progress)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Sorry 2 All - I May Not Be In Tonight (Dry Ice Session In Progress)

Well it's that time finally, the ohh so sexy GA-X58A-UD7 and I are busy playing with some Dry Ice.

I have to say..... I am kind of disappointed, I think some much needed work is definitely in order!

I'm a "Max it out" kinda guy, more into MAX clocks than I am stable or usable settings. I really like to push it I guess you could say. Some people try for max stable settings, and I do too but only to an extent, and only less than everything else.

I like to push Max Bclk Validations, Max memory clock validations, Max Uncore, ect, and until I settle for what I think is the max I wont do anything else.

Anyway, it seems to me that the UD7 stalls out at 245 Bclk or so, and this time I know for sure it is NOT my CPU or the board itself in particular (as I have used two UD7's). I could obtain basically the exact same Bclk's on water at low voltages, that I have been able to hit so far tonight on Dry Ice @ -69C. There is no way this is the max Bclk that this CPU can do, otherwise I wouldn't get even close to it on water.

So I think a Mod or a board revision is in order to break the current QPI wall, previously on older gen. boards it was 222 Bclk or 8.0GT/s QPI without a hard mod, now I am almost positive this is the issue I am seeing with this board at current clocks. At 8.85GT/s QPI freq. (245x anything) the board stalls same as you would see previously with an unmodified older gen. board at 222 Bclk. Pushing past 245 Bclk you have to be able to go past that, at any multiplier you run into hits that same freq, and this is where it stalls no matter how much love you give it.

I have even tried no HT, Dual/quad core action (W/ - W/out HT also), PCI instead of PCIE, more voltages than needed, ect. I think the issue is, aside from the freq., "QPI Slow Mode" will not function properly, this I believe is the problem. Setting QPI Slow mode should amount to 120Mhz or so, and no matter what BIOS I use it is always still the same as setting x36 QPI (8.8GT/s)

I am sure this has to be some physical limitation in the boards construction/design, or BIOS programming issue related to QPI Slow mode issues, as you all know other boards can surpass this Bclk. I will definitely be sending in a report/questionnaire to Taiwan and see if this can be resolved via mod or otherwise!

Max Bclk tonight so far, and I am pretty much done trying that!

Booting just under max, so you know the CPU has WAY more left in it for sure

Max Bclk validation

246.18 - 4.9Ghz

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

I have several runs I need to do for a review I am working on with GIGABYTE 5870 SOC, so I will be unable to stop in tonight until I get finished. So I just stopped in real quick to apologize to everyone, let you know what I am up to, and to say I will be in late tonight or tomorrow.

I will be posting a new thread on my Dry Ice session tomorrow or the next day, and I will be making out a full review on the Gigabyte SOC 5870 GV-R587SO-1GD over the next few weeks. This card is VERY impressive functionality wise and in looks, it's super cool and quiet, and surprisingly it's also very overclockable (Much past it's already impressive overclocked specifications)!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-18-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Default Re: Sorry 2 All - I May Not Be In Tonight (Dry Ice Session In Progress)

So I think a Mod or a board revision is in order
    yes Sir its comming it called A Gigabyte-X58A-UD9
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
    Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
    6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
    2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt
    Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

no chance of trying out another board, maybe the one you got is bad for rail noise and is letting you down where another one may not

Something just doesn't seem right here
    Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
    : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
    : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
    GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Judge-dredd View Post
    yes Sir its comming it called A Gigabyte-X58A-UD9
    Ahh, it will have the same wall! I found out this is a issue caused by IOH, still hoping something can be done with QPI Slow mode.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertylesh View Post
    no chance of trying out another board, maybe the one you got is bad for rail noise and is letting you down where another one may not

Something just doesn't seem right here
    It's not the board, I have used 2 of them and they both act the same. I am talking with GIGABYTE Taiwan about it now.

Max clock I was able to reach, you know I had to try a bit more

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

Max Frequency I could reach, I ran out of Dry Ice, the store only had 10 pounds so will have to try again in a few weeks

5.22Ghz

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1193141
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-18-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Thread Information