Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eSata addin card won't work - what am I doing wrong?

Default Re: eSata addin card won't work - what am I doing wrong?

Your board seems to be using JMB363 and on Jmicron datasheet that controller has spesifications like this : JMB363 is a single chip, one-lane PCI Express to two-port Serial ATA II and one-port PATA Host Controller. Also on your shop's page you can find this line : Internal or external port selectable for use of ESATA or SATA ports. And then you have a bunch of jumpers on board which seem to have some texts about Con1, Con2 etc. I can't find manual this board but I would guess that you can use jumpers to select either internal or external Sata connections, there is no way that all 4 ports can work at same time since board only has a 2-port Sata controller.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry MM67, this motherboard does not use any jumpers, or did you mean his add on card?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Sorry MM67, this motherboard does not use any jumpers, or did you mean his add on card?
    I meant his add on card, it has a lot of jumpers which look like they could be used to select internal or external ports.

Ahh ok, thanks!

Not sure if he noticed that, I know I didn't, but I didn't look at it all that much.

Nice find and thanks for letting him know! Hopefully this will help him select the rear ports to be enabled

Thanks for the continued posts guys, the support from this forum is brilliant!

I'll have a good look into that mm67 and see if changing jumpers make any difference.

I do have another question that I need answer to pretty quick if you could please...

I'm ripping out all the cabling and rethreading it as you have suggested Lsdmeasap...can you tell me which is the blue SATA 0 connector. Is it the set closest to the motherboard or the closest to me as I look into the case?

Thanks!

They are labeled on the board, but of course I guess you may not be able to see that.

SATA2_0 would be the stack of two at the top of the blue row, the bottom one against the board.

Hopefully you can figure out something with the jumpers on your PCI Card, do you have the manual?

mm67 you were right! Changing the jumpers on the card has allowed the eSata connections to be seen and used - well spotted!

There is a slight issue though as the Western Digital data lifeguard tools spot the drive as a SCSI drive, it doesn't know the serial number and reports that the health of the ext hdd is 'warning' - I know this is inaccurate as the drive is fine and new.

Any suggestions on how I can fix that?

Also I would still like answering which is SATA_0 connector - is it closest to the motherboard, or closest to you as you look into the case?

Thanks! :D

Hi Lsdmeasap, thanks for your reply.

I didn't see your reply before I started typing mine. Thanks for the clarification, I can see the labelling but I wanted to make sure which was _0 before I started plugging everything back in - I want to make sure I get the DVD on _5 as you suggested as well!

Good news about the addin card (see above) but another bit of a puzzle to go with it!

Nice fine mm67, thanks much! I didn't even think to look at the card much, next time I will remember this!

If you are concerned about the drive, plug it into a normal port and test it, then once you are sure it is fine you can ignore that warning, and possibly even tell it to not scan that drive anymore.

Ya, great to hear you got it working now!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information