Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eSata addin card won't work - what am I doing wrong?

Default eSata addin card won't work - what am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone

I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD5 which comes with an eSATA connector card to plug into one of the PCI slots.

I have tried plugging it into both a PCI and PCI-Express slot (I'm unable to use the PCI-X slot due to a Gigabyte heatsink on the board).

Unfortunately nothing shows up in Windows, which I plug an external HDD caddy into it, it's not recognised - nothing loads up.

The odd thing is my case has a front eSATA connector and if I plug that into the back of the addin eSATA board, then any external HDDs I plug into the front of the PC ARE detected.

What could I be doing wrong for the connecters on the back of the case not being recognised?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by The Big Cheese; 05-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: eSata addin card won't work - what am I doing wrong?

Where did you get that? UD5 doesn't come with any PCIE add in cards, do you just mean the cables and PCI bracket?

You do need to enable the eSATA ports in the BIOS, for the back of the board and connect the bracket and cables to latter blue ports, or the white ones.

What BIOS settings are you using for the following, and where do you have all drives connected (Color and port #, and device type)?

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) ........................
    ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) .....................
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) .............

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........

Thank you for your reply :)

Ah...it seems I'm getting a bit mixed up.

You're right of course, the addin card didn't come with the board...I think I've been at this too long today! This is the card and of course I bought it - d'oh!

You say I need to enable the ports for the back of the board? I don't think I understand you quite correctly there, as the backplate doesn't have any eSATA connectors, just 10 USB connectors.

All the internal connectors are full at the moment, I have (I think the colours are correct):
    x1 SSD boot - blue
    x1 Blu-Ray - blue
    x1 2TB 7200rpm - blue
    x3 2TB 5400rpm - blue
    x2 1.5TB - white
    x2 1TB - white
    (I do a lot of video editing work on this machine!), all blue and white connectors are full.

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    eXtreme Hard Drive (Intel ICH10R Chipset) Sorry, not sure what this is.
    ICH SATA Control Mode (Intel ICH10R Chipset) set to IDE
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge) set to DISABLED

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ENABLED
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) IDE

Ahh ok, sorry I forgot the UD5 didn't have eSATA back ports.

I need to know what ports (Port name such as SATA2_0, and color) you have things connected to.

I believe you may need to use AHCI to use eSATA, so this may be the issue. although I am not sure how it should work with an actual add-in PCIE card

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 you can enable that by making the following registry changes, then reboot and enable AHCI in the BIOS for the Intel controller

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

You should have your OS Boot drive on SATA2_0 Blue, and your Blue ray on SATA2_5 or one of the white ports

Thanks for your reply

I am very wary of changing any settings or swapping things round as I had a nightmare of a time getting the drives to be recognised when I first built the machine. I had Samsung F1 1TB drives in which one of the controllers refused to recognise, the link to the posts is here .

As far as I can see (it's wire city in there!) the SSD is plugged into blue 0,the DVD is plugged into blue 2.

If I need to change settings to enable eSATA how would it be working on the front port of the PC (plugged into the back of the addin card), I'm a bit puzzled with that!

Sounds like you have things all hooked up incorrectly, so this may be the cause of your issues.

Not sure why it would work up front, which port is the front connected to? Your settings may be fine then, and it's just this card is not compatible perhaps?

You will be fine moving your drives around, as long as you leave your OS Drive on SATA2_0, and you do not have any RAID Arrays

The front is connected to the back of the addin card, if you look at the link you can see there are two external connectors for outside the case and two internal ones, it's hooked up to one of the internal connectors...weird eh?

What differences will I notice if I rewire the drives?

Ahh ok.

So it's just the rear ports on this card that are causing the problems? If so they may be faulty, as they should work just the same as the front ports. Is the cable long enough to test using the front ports on your case, plugged into the rear of that card to see if they ports still function or not?

Well not sure if redoing things will help or not, I can tell you that you should have your DVD/Blue ray on the last Blue port SATA2_5. As for the rest it may not matter, I think possibly your card is not fully functional

Unfortunately not, the internal connecters are SATA, the external eSATA so they won't match up.

Oh well, I'll have to give it up as a bad job! Thanks for the prompt help though, it's really appreciated! I'll see what I can do about getting the DVD drive moved over!

Thanks again :)

Ohh! Well that is probably why it works up front then and not in the rear, front connection is SATA to your eSATA front connector right?

If so then the board may still see it as SATA, which means the rear may be seen as eSATA and thus is not functioning because you are not using AHCI.

Hopefully someone will chime in on this for you tonight to be sure, but I think you do have to use AHCI to be able to use eSATA.

Don't give up just yet, surely someone else who knows a bit more about this than me will stop in and help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information