Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, CPU multi stuck at 6

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, CPU multi stuck at 6

This is with both FEb and FD rev BIOS running Prime95 (64bit). EIST and C1E enabled. Would it be worth the effort to bootup in ubuntu and/or change to the E8400?

The following is from a program called Windows 7 Manager. I have highlighted the "issue". What does it mean?

Thank you,

Chris

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Not sure about that?

Yes, see if things work properly in Ubuntu, if they do you may need to do a clean install of windows

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.6, CPU multi stuck at 6, Fix, sort of

I decided to try one last thing, I disabled the CPU thermal monitor (TM2) and now the system works perfectly. With EIST and C1E disabled the CPU stays at 3GHz (353x8.5). Enabling EIST and C1E cause the CPU to throttle and even the smallest load, e.g. opening CPU-Z, causes the CPU to increase to max freq, 3GHz in this case.

About a month ago, I gave the computer a complete cleaning. I visited the Arctic Silver 5 site to determine their method of application for a quad core Intel CPU. I followed their directions. Previously, I had applied a then layer of compound to the CPU and to the base of the cooler. I just assumed this is how you would normally apply the compound. What is curious is that none of the core temps are over 44C, but my experience with temp sensors indicates they are not accurate.

Plan: clean and re-seat the CPU. Is there a best method of applying the thermal compound? I am using an Arctic Pro CPU cooler.

Best regards,

Chris

I use the small dot method myself, or use the line method they mention, either will work just fine as long as you do not use too much (Less is more).

Great to hear you found the cause of this issue! So now, did you test enabling TM2 again to be sure it acted the same proving this is the problem?

If so please send in a report, tell them how to reproduce the issue, and ask them to forward to the BIOS engineers so they can correct it
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

As for your temps, surely they will raise over 44C if you put the CPU on load right? Like with Prime95 or Orthos, ect?

The "give-a-way" occurred when I loaded up ubuntu and it did the same thing. I reloaded Win 7 x64 and enabled TM2. It went back to its "stuck state". I disabled TM2 and the system is working fine again (I am using FEb BIOS rev). Sidebar, an interesting feature appears when I press F9.
    Background: I keep backups of all my OS' I use with different CPUs, etc I have three 1TB external USB drives for this purpose. I loaded XP(32bit), ubuntu (64bit), Win 7 (32bit) and Win 7 (64bit), all stayed in the "stuck state" with TM2 enabled. And all started working when I disabled TM2. I tried the E8400 CPU and it did the same thing under each OS., stuck with TM2 enabled, un-stuck with TM2 disabled.
    What is very curios is that both the E8400 and Q9550 worked perfectly, un-stuck, until I tried setting up a RAID 1 configuration. I do not remember if TM2 was enabled or disabled in this situation. The problem started when I tried clearing the CMOS after I screwed up the RAID configuration.

Yes, Prime95 (64 bit) sends the core temps into the low to mid 60's. Core 0 always runs a few degrees hotter than the rest. 32 bit programs seem to "hog" core 0 while the 64 bit program share all cores (core aware programs). Attached is the core temps, when running 3 virus scans and Diskeeper defraging a 1.5TB drive.

Thanks, sounds like it is easily reproducible, please go ahead and send in a report on this if you have not already.

Good, your sensors are working then, no need to worry about Idle temps if one core is stuck. The temp will just readout wrong, it wont necessarily be that hot unless it is close to the other core temps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information