Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte motherboard reboot loop solution

Default Re: Gigabyte motherboard reboot loop solution

Thanks, All, for your suggestions!

Lsdmeasap, I hadn't thought one could get a CPU that cheaply -- that sounds like a good strategy. I've never heard of a CPU malfunctioning like this, but maybe it's an oddball.

Prof Jim, it's a PC Power and Cooling S61EPS – pretty hefty. The test replacement was an older Antec. Symptoms didn't change at all between the two, so I'm not guessing this is the cause.

I'd never heard of dust as a possible cause of computer malfunction – except as a factor in overheating. So I should add that to the list of possible causes? The machine is in a pretty dusty environment, so I'll definitely give it a thorough cleaning (again).

weirdg, I'd already checked most of what you've suggested here, except for swapping the surge suppressor. Again, I'd never heard of that one, but I'm open to all suggestions at this point.

Overheating is not an issue here. The machine has never been overclocked, and it's running in an unheated room in the winter. If anything it's sometimes running too cold (first thing in the morning), but these reboots have no correlation to extra-cold conditions.

Here are the specs:
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 bios f6
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600
    CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5
    PC Power and Cooling S61EPS

The drive is a Western Digital. It's not a primary suspect, because these reboots occur long before the drive has a chance to spin up. But I guess I shouldn't rule it out. I'm also not looking at Windows, for the same reason.

Thanks again for your help...
    Last edited by bootster; 03-08-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, you can get real cheap CPU's on ebay! Just look at your CPU compatible list and then search on ebay, you'll find plenty especially the ones towards the bottom of the list like Celeron400's and D's, but P4's are often just as cheap too.

I always use Celeron 420-440 though, just because I often find those dirt cheap so I keep a few on hand in case I need to let someone else borrow for something.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdg View Post
    I've seen tons of issues like this before. I'd suggest you try the following.

- Set your BIOS to factory defaults and load the latest BIOS version.
    - Check your North and South bridges and see if they are being sufficiently cooled. If not, apply a fan or some heatsinks.
    - Are the memory slots directly beside the CPU? If so, try placing the DIMMs in slots further away from the CPU.
    - Run diagnostic tools on the memory and hard drive. I use HD Tune Pro for my hard drives, and memtest seems to work well for the memory.
    - In my experience, I've seen reboot loops occur because of bad memory, bad hard drives, or bad PSUs. Try swapping all of those out if you can.
    - As I mentioned in my first post, make sure you have power going to the EPS12v connector.
    - If you're plugged into a surge protector, try swapping it for another one. Make sure it's not the same company.
    - Open your case, and check the board for any accidental damage. Capacitors damaged, fans not working, loose cables touching the board, etc. Also make sure you check the back side of the board.
    - Check the video card, and make sure it's not overheating. I know a lot of NVIDIA cards run hot.
    - Check for dust build up in your fans and PSU.
    - Make sure all of your components are seated properly.
    - Take apart the entire computer and reinstall everything component by component back into the case.
    - After checking all of the above, do a clean install of Windows. Don't do a quick format, make sure you do the long format so it'll check the drives for bad sectors.

Please provide exact manufacturer and model names/numbers for your memory, CPU, motherboard, PSU, and primary hard drive. Maybe there's a defective component.

Thanks,
    WG
    Hi, I have an answer that may help many. One bad stick of RAM was the end result for this exact looping problem.
    Funny thing is this is a brand new PC I just put together 2 hours earlier, it kind of worked, as in it would loop once or twice then work. But once I left it on for 2 hours it blue screened and from then on it would loop for ever on power up.
    Diagnosed it but using one stick at a time and in each slot just to be sure it's not the slot.

As for the suggestion from weirdg, most of those are useless in this situation as the problem is at POST (Power on self test) but a great check list for general troubleshooting.

Motherboard Gigabyte with i3 and DDR3
    In my case the brand of RAM was OCZ, so take my experience when deciding on your next RAM purchase! I wrote this when 4GB RAM was/is $30 (2x2GB) sticks so I guess lack of quality control goes with the price.

Happy computing

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lap View Post
    Hi, I have an answer that may help many. One bad stick of RAM was the end result for this exact looping problem.
    Funny thing is this is a brand new PC I just put together 2 hours earlier, it kind of worked, as in it would loop once or twice then work. But once I left it on for 2 hours it blue screened and from then on it would loop for ever on power up.
    Diagnosed it but using one stick at a time and in each slot just to be sure it's not the slot.

As for the suggestion from weirdg, most of those are useless in this situation as the problem is at POST (Power on self test) but a great check list for general troubleshooting.

Motherboard Gigabyte with i3 and DDR3
    In my case the brand of RAM was OCZ, so take my experience when deciding on your next RAM purchase! I wrote this when 4GB RAM was/is $30 (2x2GB) sticks so I guess lack of quality control goes with the price.

Happy computing
    I agree most of my suggestions might be useless, but I've run into many of those issues on my computer and many others before. I did also mention to check for faulty hardware such as memory, and to try and swap it out with known confirmed working sticks.

WG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information