Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Default Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

The BIOS has a ACPI suspend type in the Power Mangement Setup. Here are the default values. Maybe a change in it will help.
    Code:
    Power Management Setup
    ACPI Suspend Type [S3(STR)]
    Soft-Off by Power button [Instant-off]
    USB Wake Up from S3 [Enabled]
    Modem Ring Resume [Disabled]
    PME Event Wake Up [Enabled]
    HPET Support (Note) [Enabled]
    Power On By Mouse [Disabled]
    Power On By Keyboard [Disabled]
    x KB Power ON Password Enter
    AC Back Function [Soft-Off]
    Power-On by Alarm [Disabled]
    x Date (of Month) Everyday
    x Resume Time (hh:mm:ss) 0 : 0 : 0
    ErP Support [Disabled]
    Last edited by artdrivers; 06-01-2010 at 05:21 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by joro80 View Post
    Hmm, thats very sad :-( No IOMMU ACPI table is present (IVRS) and even the PCI device for the IOMMU itself is not enabled. The device would show up in lspci as device 00:00.2 if it where present.
    Yeah, I was reading the IOMMU spec from AMD and the BIOS needs to describe the IOMMU in a ACPI table, which therefore leads me to believe that the BIOS is broken for this 890FX chipset. I'm fairly sure that this chipset has the capability for this feature, it is just not turned on in the BIOS -- or I could be totally wrong.

So, where do I go from here? What can I do to help get this enable? I've already submitted a ticket to Gigabyte complaining about this. Do you know of anyone else that has this same chipset as I but *has* IOMMU enabled and working? Is there still hope to get this working?

Thanks a whole lot for looking in to this for me.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    The BIOS has a ACPI suspend type in the Power Mangement Setup. Here are the default values. Maybe a change in it will help.
    Code:
    Power Management Setup
    ACPI Suspend Type [S3(STR)]
    That is dealing with the power interface part of ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface). The different S-types deal with the different power states of the system. IIRC S3 is sleep or rather, suspend to ram. Here is a good detailed explanation: Advanced Configuration and Power Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I /could/ try, but I doubt that the power settings will enable IOMMU. Thank you anyway.

I was not able to get iommu to work on my MSI 890FXA-GD70. Before I purchased, an MSI rep told me that the motherboard is supposed to support it, but it looks like they did not implement the necessary bios support either. I am waiting to hear back from them as to when/if they plan to add support, so I would not recommend swapping for this board until I hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzew View Post
    Yeah, I was reading the IOMMU spec from AMD and the BIOS needs to describe the IOMMU in a ACPI table, which therefore leads me to believe that the BIOS is broken for this 890FX chipset. I'm fairly sure that this chipset has the capability for this feature, it is just not turned on in the BIOS -- or I could be totally wrong.
    No, the BIOS vendor just don't support it. You can try to complain to them so that they may support it in a future BIOS version.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzew View Post
    So, where do I go from here? What can I do to help get this enable? I've already submitted a ticket to Gigabyte complaining about this. Do you know of anyone else that has this same chipset as I but *has* IOMMU enabled and working? Is there still hope to get this working?
    I am looking for an 890FX board which has IOMMU support in the BIOS myself. I will try to ask the motherboard vendors too if they want to build in support into their BIOSes.
    I also want to have an IOMMU system at home :-)

Cheers.

A question to the other owners of 890FX motherboards in this thread:

I need to verify a few more boards if they have the IOMMU enabled. So if one of you have a 890FX board and can verify this please send me a note. I can assist with the verification steps.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jdma View Post
    I was not able to get iommu to work on my MSI 890FXA-GD70. Before I purchased, an MSI rep told me that the motherboard is supposed to support it, but it looks like they did not implement the necessary bios support either. I am waiting to hear back from them as to when/if they plan to add support, so I would not recommend swapping for this board until I hear more.
    Can you also send me your full dmesg and lscpi output so I can see what the BIOS enables for the OS?

Thanks.

No, the BIOS vendor just don't support it. You can try to complain to them so that they may support it in a future BIOS version.
    Ack, yes -- that's what I intended to say.

I am looking for an 890FX board which has IOMMU support in the BIOS myself. I will try to ask the motherboard vendors too if they want to build in support into their BIOSes.
    I also want to have an IOMMU system at home :-)
    Cheers.
    Oh, cool. Alright, well like I said before I have a ticket in with Gigabyte about this... I /should/ hear from them soon, otherwise I'll need to send it in again. It's a rather nice board, but I don't understand why they wouldn't turn on IOMMU support in the first place, that's one of the key differences between then 890GX and 890FX chipsets are the IOMMU. If I didn't want IOMMU, I could of saved myself some money and went with the 890GX on board.

Cheers.

Hi,
    I'm looking for a motherboard with AMD 890fx chipset and working IOMMU too.
    I found that the ASUS Crosshair IV Formaul has IOMMU support in the BIOS:
    Ubiquitous Talk

But ASUS has a bad reputation with Intel VT-d, they don't support Linux.
    KVM and Xen cannot use IOMMU in the Intel based motherboards.

Please let us know if you find a motherboard with working IOMMU.

Leonardo

Quote Originally Posted by leo1981 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a motherboard with AMD 890fx chipset and working IOMMU too.
    I found that the ASUS Crosshair IV Formaul has IOMMU support in the BIOS:
    Ubiquitous Talk
    Oh very cool... I still need to play with ZFS on FreeBSD or Solaris...

Quote Originally Posted by leo1981 View Post
    But ASUS has a bad reputation with Intel VT-d, they don't support Linux.
    KVM and Xen cannot use IOMMU in the Intel based motherboards.
    VTdHowTo - Xen Wiki -- Might be worth looking at this... The Xen guys have compiled a list of Intel motherboards with VT-d enabled/compatible. It does list 890FX, but I still have yet to see someone have it 1) property supported in the BIOS and 2) working with KVM or Xen. Might want to check out the Intel board list before jumping over to the AMD side of things, until this is sorted.

I was looking at porting coreboot [1] over to my motherboard, but that would be quite a chore and I don't have the time ATM. Reverse engineering/decompiling Gigabyte's AwardBIOS would also be pretty painful, I'm sure they wrote it in C and not in ASM, then there is the matter of the checksum problem... bleh. I'd paid for AwardBIOS to enable this feature if that's what it comes to.

Best of luck Leonardo.
    Cheers!

[1] - coreboot

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information