Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Quote Originally Posted by leo1981 View Post
    The GA-X58A-UD7 (from your signature) has an Intel X58 chipset.
    That chipset is capable of IOMMU (or VT-d), does your BIOS implement IOMMU?

If not, I think Gigabyte doesn't want to implement it.
    If yes, probably they have some problems with AMD implementation.
    Not sure, how can I test? I do have VMWare installed, but it is a older version (I can update if need be)

Let me know how to check and I will test for you

Quote Originally Posted by kuzew View Post
    Well, Gigabyte technical support finally replied back...

"Dear Customer

Unfortunately the feature is not supported on this board"

I guess that answers that... ):
    Not much detail on why or even recommendations for what board they have that has IOMMU enabled. I'm really not too happy with that answer.
    But what does this really mean? That the board isn't wired for IOMMU, or they are just not going to support IOMMU even if the board is fully capable of supporting it? Does anyone know how I can tell if this chipset has the ability for IOMMU and they just turned it off/locked it?
    From the AMD Comment above it seems like this support person may not have been fully informed of this, I will find out for sure since it does seem to be chipset supported and BIOS implemented.

They may or may not add it of course, but at least now we know it is controlled by the BIOS and a hardware change is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jdma View Post
    I emailed AMD a few days ago to ask because I have read a lot of conflicting information on this subject:

Thank you for contacting AMD. I would like to verify for you that yes, the 890FX chipset does offer the IOMMU feature, however you will want to keep in mind that manufacturers can decide to enable or disable this feature through the BIOS and therefore you will want to verify with manufacturer of your specific board. But in short, yes it does offer the ability to do so.

Interesting news there, and good to hear! I will pass that along when they reply.

They are busy right now with Computex, but I assure you I speak with them directly and not the support team either so I will get a real answer for you

Thumbs up Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

OK, I'm in, I'm in.

I currently have a 790GX AM2+ board running Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit.
    I'm using KVM to host 2 machines running eBox and Mythbuntu

Problem is, without hardware IOMMU I can't pass the PCI tuners through to myth. :(

So, I'm after as close as I can get to a drop in replacement board that has IOMMU and 890FX is supposed to do it!

I have this from ASRock:

Dear Sir,
    Thanks for contacting ASRock,

The 890FX Deluxe3 doesn't support the IOMMU technology.

IOMMU only supported with AMD server platforms, such as SR5650, SR5670 and SR5690 chipset.
    Please refer it from following link.
    Link: AMD Platform Specifications

Thanks for your mail.

Kind Regards,
    ASRock TSD
    Which means nothing as the chipset is known to support it, it just requries manufacturer support.

I for one will buy one in a heartbeat if it enables Just Works(tm) PCI passthrough to guest VMs!

J1M.

I'm going to compile a list of what motherboard are out there that use the 890FX chipset AND has IOMMU support in the BIOS. Hopefully each motherboard I investigate has the BIOS manual online... they normally do. I think the motherboard manufacturers really want you to buy the (more expensive, less PCI-type I/O) server boards rather than the "cheap" (comparatively) desktop boards to have IOMMU officially supported/enabled. Just an observation.

I Asus /might/ have a board with IOMMU support in the BIOS. I'm going to check that first. But we can rule out Gigabyte, MSI and ASRock for now until something changes. I don't think that leaves many other boards that have that support in the BIOS. Time to check...

Hi,

I've emailed Anand from Anandtech asking him if he could take a look at the board he used in his Phenom X6 review. He does actually reply to things so you never know, it's a Biostar board.

The ASRock manual is online, no mention of IOMMU.

I'll see if I can find the Biostar one.

I find it unlikely that they're just trying to get us to buy more expensive boards as none of the companies we're looking at sell server boards.

More likely supporting it is no use for marketing purposes so why bother?

Personally I think we're fast approching the situation where Intel is the only affordable solution, but it's still expensive and a technological dead end (Core 2 Quad/Duo and DDR2 RAM)

Or Coreboot?

Regards,

J1M.

Manual for the Biostar Board

No mention of IOMMU

J.

Nothing in either of the ASUS board manuals.

Maybe it's just always on? :\

J.

So, I suppose it is safe to say no one that has the 890FX chipset enabled with IOMMU on the desktop boards. Unless if Lsdmeasap brings us some great news saying that Gigabyte will/has plans to enable IOMMU for us in the BIOS.
    IIRC the only difference between 890GX and 890FX is IOMMU, more PCIe lanes, more DMA engines and no integrated video card (and well, price).

It's interesting, you can really tell that all the above mentioned motherboards are all in direct competition with all the same overclocking configs in the BIOS... but none of them have IOMMU. IMO, it's a waste of a great northbridge chipset.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzew View Post
    So, I suppose it is safe to say no one that has the 890FX chipset enabled with IOMMU on the desktop boards. Unless if Lsdmeasap brings us some great news saying that Gigabyte will/has plans to enable IOMMU for us in the BIOS.
    IIRC the only difference between 890GX and 890FX is IOMMU, more PCIe lanes, more DMA engines and no integrated video card (and well, price).

It's interesting, you can really tell that all the above mentioned motherboards are all in direct competition with all the same overclocking configs in the BIOS... but none of them have IOMMU. IMO, it's a waste of a great northbridge chipset.
    Well, according to Ubiquitous Talk
    the Asus Crosshair IV with an updated BIOS has an IOMMU enable/disable setting (not mentioned in its PDF manual though). But I can't verify this myself as I'm not in possession of a Crosshair IV...

Quote Originally Posted by Nizze View Post
    Well, according to Ubiquitous Talk
    the Asus Crosshair IV with an updated BIOS has an IOMMU enable/disable setting (not mentioned in its PDF manual though). But I can't verify this myself as I'm not in possession of a Crosshair IV...
    Plus also mentioned in thread Asus Crosshair IV 0801 Bios - Page 4 - XtremeSystems Forums

So it seems Crosshair IV really supports IOMMU in BIOS - but if it has been 100% properly implemented may be another question...

But we could from now on refer to the above links when asking other 890FX board manufacturers for IOMMU support !
    Last edited by Nizze; 06-07-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Hmm, good to know. Well then, if we can find someone confirming that it's properly implemented then I can return my Gigabyte motherboard and switch over to Asus, given that everything is 100% supported under GNU/Linux. Can we get a chipset list on that Asus motherboard? lspci and such? Time to do more digging.

Thanks for the info. Cheers!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information