Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

I should have some info on this issue this week sometime guys, hold off a bit and I will let you know what I can find out

BTW, here's some interesting background material regarding IOMMU and BIOS
    Ashok Raj (Intel) – Intel Software Network Blogs
    Last edited by Nizze; 06-07-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: zpelling

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I should have some info on this issue this week sometime guys, hold off a bit and I will let you know what I can find out
    I'm not in any rush to return anything, I'd rather not. Thanks again for helping us out, can't appreciate it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nizze View Post
    BTW, here's some interesting background material regarding IOMMU and BIOS
    Ashok Raj (Intel) – Intel Software Network Blogs
    Oh neat! What I've also found to be a interesting reading is:
    I/O Virtualization and AMD's IOMMU
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/34434.pdf

The PDF is AMD's IOMMU specification doc. It even gives tips on how BIOS programmers should go about initializing and providing the correct information to the OS, among using it on the application layer.

Hi,

Well I'm loving my gigabyte board that I bought for the living room. The POST is stupidly fast and it's some excellent <1W suspend mode. It's one of the SAM3 890GX MATX boards.

So if I can get a matching one for the server that would be great.

However, there is a screenshot of the setting in the Asus BIOS in this page posted earlier by Nizze and it's from somebody on this site.

Attachment 2607

I'm going to try to get in touch with the guy (Stu Radnidge) and talk to him about the IOMMU. The good news is that vinternals appears to be about VMWare virtualization so it's looking good that we'll be able to find out if it works in the way we want or not.

Regards,

J1M.

Hi guys. Registered just to post to this thread. First off, thanks for all the info that you guys have put up. I am also seeking to use IOMMU with consumer-level boards.

I'd like to add what little I can here, which is to say that I can verify that the BioStar 890FX board does NOT support IOMMU (suspected before due to BIOS Manual), but I can verify that now. Throwing up the lspci and the dmesg.

I am going to exchange it for the ASUS Crosshair IV, so if nobody writes in regards to whether the IOMMU works on that before I get one, I'll let you guys know.

And again, thanks for putting the information out there. Hopefully the more people who talk, the more manufacturers realize that this is a feature that many enthusiasts would like.

lspci:
    lspci_vvv - Google Docs

dmesg:
    dmesg - Google Docs

Quote Originally Posted by falcon9xr View Post
    I'd like to add what little I can here, which is to say that I can verify that the BioStar 890FX board does NOT support IOMMU (suspected before due to BIOS Manual), but I can verify that now. Throwing up the lspci and the dmesg.
    It looks like you are running Xen, could we also see `xm dmesg` for the dmesg of the hypervisor? I what you showed us is the dmesg of what Xen calls dom0.

Thanks for posting, the more the merrier! Like you said, the more people who post about this sort of thing, the more (hopefully) manufactures realize that we want this option enabled and working correctly.

Cheers!

Just thought it might be useful to confirm that, at least in bios 0801, the Asus Crosshair IV Formula has an option in the bios to enable IOMMU.

I don't have a board myself otherwise I would be digging through Xen. I asked a forum member on another board to confirm if theirs has it. I *really* hope other manufacturers enable this feature. Essentially little to no work on their part and it is one of the big differences between the FX and GX chipset.

I am honestly surprised to see no Xen oriented reviews on this mobo. It is all 'Crysis' and 'Sandra' benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaxmetal View Post
    Just thought it might be useful to confirm that, at least in bios 0801, the Asus Crosshair IV Formula has an option in the bios to enable IOMMU.

I don't have a board myself otherwise I would be digging through Xen. I asked a forum member on another board to confirm if theirs has it.
    That's good to know. But there's still a possibility that it might not really work as expected. Any chance you could convince the person to test it (with PCI passthrough in KVM or Xen)? Or to get the output of
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i -e IOMMU -e AMD-Vi -e IVRS
    on a non-Xen kernel with the IOMMU enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by kuzew
    It looks like you are running Xen, could we also see `xm dmesg` for the dmesg of the hypervisor? I what you showed us is the dmesg of what Xen calls dom0.
    My apologies, I was switching between Live Debian and Live Xen discs. And truth be told, I didn't realize that there was a difference (lol, can you tell I'm a Xen n00b?) Luckily I haven't sent the board back yet, so I'll hook it up again and get the `xm dmesg`. I should have the results up by tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon9xr View Post
    My apologies, I was switching between Live Debian and Live Xen discs. And truth be told, I didn't realize that there was a difference (lol, can you tell I'm a Xen n00b?) Luckily I haven't sent the board back yet, so I'll hook it up again and get the `xm dmesg`. I should have the results up by tonight.
    Heh, by no means am I a Xen expert. I've only played with it. Thanks again.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information