Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

Default Re: GA-890FXA-UD5 IOMMU BIOS Switch?

This thread is probably the most detailed source information about AMD IOMMU support in the 890FX in the entire world.

Just out of interest, when we all have our fully functioning AMD based VT solution, we should really all find a relevant place to continue discussing user issues for the various VT techs.

I mean look, we're on a forum for owners of Gigabyte boards and most places don't even know what an IOMMU is or are strictly focused on one companies tech (VMWare, Citrix, Microsoft, Linux)

Everywhere else I've asked questions has either provided no answers because I'm the most knowledgable person there or there all so smart they wrote the tech in the first place and don't even notice you exist.

A bit OT I know, apologies.

The wikipedia page on the AMD 800 series chipset and IOMMU could probably do with being updated as well.

Something to do while we wait for the go/nogo signal from Gigabyte. :)

J1M.

I registered just to post in this thread. I asked a similar thread about 890FX + IOMMU over at [H]ardOCP and was directed here.

Who do we contact at gigabyte about getting IOMMU supported? I am not buying an 890FX board until someone confirms it's supported correctly with Xen & KVM. In the meanwhile I've bought an Intel board to toss an old E8400 onto, but have a 1090T itching for an 890FX board with IOMMU.

Who do we e-mail at gigabyte to tell them we want IOMMU support?

Please keep this thread going....as a previous poster said, this is the only thread I can find in google where there is an actual discussion about 890FX + iommu.

Quote Originally Posted by Robstarusa View Post
    I registered just to post in this thread. I asked a similar thread about 890FX + IOMMU over at [H]ardOCP and was directed here.

Who do we contact at gigabyte about getting IOMMU supported? I am not buying an 890FX board until someone confirms it's supported correctly with Xen & KVM. In the meanwhile I've bought an Intel board to toss an old E8400 onto, but have a 1090T itching for an 890FX board with IOMMU.

Who do we e-mail at gigabyte to tell them we want IOMMU support?

Please keep this thread going....as a previous poster said, this is the only thread I can find in google where there is an actual discussion about 890FX + iommu.
    Lsdmeasap (a admin here) might know how we can contact Gigabyte for a feature request. I'm not going to switch over to Asus because they are not Linux friendly so their chipsets they use are sorta odd. I did some googleing around and found the Ubuntu people having problems with Ethernet drivers and other chipset related oddities.

I would also like to know how we can notify Gigabyte for a feature request. I think we need to draw more people for IOMMU support so the likely-hood of Gigabyte supporting IOMMU would be greater. I doubt they will spend the time/money programming support for IOMMU for 10-20 people that would ONLY run under GNU/Linux for now. Like I said before, the lack of IOMMU support for Windows (e.g. native Windows drivers, not VMware) would, I think, make Gigabyte less willing to build in support. I might be wrong about the Windows support, I don't run Windows as my main OS. (Can anyone correct me on that?)

Hi!

I have ordered a Asus Crosshair Formula IV for testing. Will report next week. I send asrock support a mail about this Asus board and they will give the information to their bios-team in Taiwan. So we will hope the best.

In the xen-devel-list I got this message from an amd employee:

We talked with AMD client managers. They believe all 890FX platforms should be capable of supporting IOMMU. There must be mis-communication with motherboard vendors. We are in the process of contacting with them. Hopefully the vendors will turn on this feature soon. For now, please just purchase the motherboards with IOMMU enabled (I think Joerg pointed out ASUS at least. I can't verify it myself though.).

Nizze (a.k.a. balle) received an answer on the Asus forum to the question about IOMMU support in the other 890FX-based boards (M4A89TD PRO{,/USB3}):
    Yes IOMMU is in both variations of this board. Both the USB3 and without. The bios has a simple on/off setting for it. Upon reboot windows finds IOMMU device.

So Asustek has now CONFIRMED that all three of its 890FX boards support IOMMU. Sweet !
    Then high time to get some validation on their proper implementation of the IOMMU v1.2 spec e.g. by using Xen 4 or latest Linux+KVM.

My personal futuristic scenario is running 32-bit XP under 64-bit ArchLinux w KVM with near-native speed for disk access and ditto for 2D/3D/video. Hmmm, wonder what fanless graphics card (only to be used by XP when running KVM) would be best driver-wise for that purpose - one of the ATI 5000-series or some upcoming Fermi...

(..seems Michich delivered the good news to this thread while I was composing my contribution..)
    ##########

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- IOMMU support in BIOS (like for Crosshair IV) ?
    > Yes IOMMU is in both variations of this board. Both the USB3 and without. The bios has a
    > simple on/off setting for it. Upon reboot windows finds IOMMU device.
    Last edited by Nizze; 06-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Ah, progress! Now if we can get the rest of the motherboard vendors who sell motherboards with 890FX chipsets to confirm that they have IOMMU, I think the community will be very happy to hear this great news (I know I am)!

Like I asked earlier, anyone know how I can contact Gigabyte directly? I think emails should also be sent out to MSI, Biostar... et al. I'm sure if one vendor is doing it on this class of motherboard, they all should be doing it.

A mail on the xen-devel-list says that MSI support confirmed that

At the moment MSI has replied (in Dutch) that the MSI 890FXA-GD70 should support it. But it would be nice if it has user confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzew View Post
    Ah, progress! Now if we can get the rest of the motherboard vendors who sell motherboards with 890FX chipsets to confirm that they have IOMMU, I think the community will be very happy to hear this great news (I know I am)!

Like I asked earlier, anyone know how I can contact Gigabyte directly? I think emails should also be sent out to MSI, Biostar... et al. I'm sure if one vendor is doing it on this class of motherboard, they all should be doing it.
    Well, I don't know if she answers your email but:

Google - Gigabyte spokesperson
    Gigabyte And IBuyPower : CES 2010, Day 3: Thermaltake, Gigabyte, MSI, And Shuttle
    -> Angela Lan, spokesperson for Gigabyte’s US operation
    -> Tim Handley, Gigabyte’s deputy marketing director

Google -Angela Lan Gigabyte
    -> angelalan _AT_ gigabyte-usa.com

No harm trying her out...

http://www.gigabyte.us/Company/Conta...=4#sel_country
    U.S.A.
    G.B.T. INC.
    ‧ TEL: +1-626-854-9338
    Last edited by Nizze; 06-10-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: phone added

Quote Originally Posted by lt.cmdr.data View Post
    A mail on the xen-devel-list says that MSI support confirmed that
    I have this board (MSI 890FXA-GD70), there is no bios support for IOMMU. MSI presales told me that it was supported before I bought it, I am thinking there might have been some miscommunication there. I have been waiting about a week for a response as to when/if they plan on adding support in the bios.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information