Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 & Q9550 E0 ! ..

Default Re: Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 & Q9550 E0 ! ..

Dear RedDwarf ,
    Thanks a lot for your response and adding your great comment to my thread. In fact, what you have said is correct and I agree with you. This is one of the reason of why I'm going to buy new case which is made by Cooler Master and its called as HAF-X (942) but still not release on the market.

Also, what do you think about Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler? because yesterday night, I read all reviews about this CPU Cooler and all of them agreed 99% to 100% that this type of cooler is the best one and working smoothly with overclocking ..

Because there is no Noctua stocks on my place hence I have to buy it via Online.

Thanks in advance ..

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AbuAli1981 View Post
    Hello Dear Lsdmeasap,
    Really I prayed for you today, do you know why?

I followed your steps and now I'm writing to you with overclock CPU and it reached to: 3.65GHz with FSB of 430 ..

I ran the Prime95 x64 to check the stabiliy and nothing happened within 53 minutes. in addition, one of the core's degree reached 71.

Aslo, I have 1 question dear, will this overclock affect on my PC component age life?

I attached for you the snapshot ..
    Download 365GHz.png
    Thanks for your prayers!

Nice to see you are making progress now!

71C is not too awful hot to worry about, but I would not push further without getting a different cooler.

You may also be just using more vcore than your overclock needs right now, have you tried lowering it yet?

I do see you are only using 1.24V, so ya you definitely need a better cooler so you can overclock further.

I am sure you will want a new system long before it would die from your overclock, nothing to worry about as long as you keep it cool
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-02-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuAli1981 View Post
    Dear RedDwarf ,
    Thanks a lot for your response and adding your great comment to my thread. In fact, what you have said is correct and I agree with you. This is one of the reason of why I'm going to buy new case which is made by Cooler Master and its called as HAF-X (942) but still not release on the market.

Also, what do you think about Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler? because yesterday night, I read all reviews about this CPU Cooler and all of them agreed 99% to 100% that this type of cooler is the best one and working smoothly with overclocking ..

Because there is no Noctua stocks on my place hence I have to buy it via Online.

Thanks in advance ..
    I had a look at that cooler as I have been considering replacing mine as it is getting old, if you consider 2 years old. The temperatures can get higher than I would like @ around 60C@3.5GHz depending upon whether I turn up my case fans it can hit 62C. I would like to see if I can get it any higher but the voltage is at about the limit I am prepared to go but I do have the Intel power saving enabled at that speed and DES disabled. With the power saving all disabled I might get it higher as they do tend to need more voltage to cope with the frequency changes while remaining stable.

That Noctua cooler is BIG. From what I read about the Noctua their compatibility charts do list the Gigabyte X48 boards as being compatible but only if the memory is also small enough to fit beneath it as it does overhang the first 2 dimms. Your backplate cooler would also need to be removed. You would also need to make sure the height will fit in the case. For my use I think it would be too big, I would need to buy new memory to use it.

What type of ambient temperatures do you get? I am interested how hot it gets inside where you are. That could have a big impact on air cooling capability.
    Attachment 2581

Motherboard compatibility
    Memory compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Thanks for your prayers!

Nice to see you are making progress now!

71C is not too awful hot to worry about, but I would not push further without getting a different cooler.

You may also be just using more vcore than your overclock needs right now, have you tried lowering it yet?

I do see you are only using 1.24V, so ya you definitely need a better cooler so you can overclock further.

I am sure you will want a new system long before it would die from your overclock, nothing to worry about as long as you keep it cool
    The Intel specification for AbuAli1981's CPU indicate that the maximum temperature is 71.4C, Intel CPU's do have a protection feature which is meant to shut down the CPU if the temperature gets too hot.
    Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 - SLB8V

That CPU voltage isn't very high, my CPU VID is 1.2125V so very close to that running at 2.66GHz but heat does increase the higher the frequency. I would like to know what his ambient temperature is as that can be an issue with air cooling when the temperature is high.
    Gigabyte X48-DS5 F7 Bios
    Intel Q9450 2.66GHz 8 x 333, 8 x 438 (3.5GHz when overclocked) 1.35V with Intel Power saving enabled
    Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500
    Corsair HX 520 PSU
    Gigabyte GV-RX385512H HD3850 512MB
    Western Digital WD5000ABYS 500GB SATA hard drive
    Western Digital WD5000YS 500GB SATA hard drive - disconnected
    Seagate 250GB SATA hard drive
    Samsung 1TB
    Samsung 500GB
    Seagate 80GB
    BenQ 1640 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    NEC 3520 IDE DVD-ReWriter
    Pinnacle Dual DVB-T PCI Tuner
    Mystique Dual PCI-e DVB-S2
    mCubed T Balancer Fan controller controlling 6 case fans and CPU fan - CPU fan recently changed after system freezing started with new higher speed CPU fan.
    minifan blowing through northbridge

I know the Intel specs, and I hear them, but that is about it.

100C is where thermal throttle happens, in case you wondered

I agree, ambient temps matter a lot. So it could be he has very hot temps in his house, or his cooler is not all that good, or maybe poor mount or too much paste?

Is he using stock cooler, those temps do seem a bit high for the voltage he is using

Dear RedDwarf & Dear Lsdmeasap ,
    Thanks a lot for your responses and updating the thread with great comments and knowledge.

Actually, definitely I'm going to buy new CPU Cooler within two weeks from now and I decided after reading most of CPU Coolers reviews that I selected NH-D14 to use it as CPU Cooler.

Thanks RedDwarf for the website that you provided. In fact, I read all these before two days and I understand that I have to follow some procedures before fixing the CPU Cooler.

Initially, I'm switcing off or changing the status of my machine into SLEEP before going to office. I'm running it once I come back from the office. Most of the days, the ambient degree is between 30 to 35 before switching on the A/C.

Dear Lsdmeasap,
    I have two points here:
    1) I tried to reduce the voltage to 1.252, 1.26 & 1.27. However, the machine is hanged when I start converting the video from HD to WMV. Because I'm working as a Video Editor. Can you solve this please?

2) Why its hanging dear, whereas it doesn't show any error or warnning while using Prime95?

Thanks in advance for both of you ..

I forgot to inform you Lsdmeasap ,
    yesterday I installed extra 4GB of RAM DDR2. I copied for you the details:
    Code:

DIMM1: Kingmax KLEE88F-B8KU6 2 GB DDR2-1100 DDR2 SDRAM  (6-7-7-25 @ 555 MHz)  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-15 @ 333 MHz)
    DIMM2: Kingston 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz)  (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
    DIMM3: Kingston 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz)  (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
    DIMM4: Kingston 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz)  (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)  (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
    I overlocked them with 2.00D = 900 of 800Mhz

Since you are having issues please only use matching memory, take our the Kingmax stick.

You may need to leave Vcore as you had it if lower causes hanging, it will be cooler when you get your new heatsink anyway so you will be fine then

Dear Lsdmeasap,
    I have followed below steps:
    a)
    1) Remove Kingmax DDR2 as you suggested ..
    2) Restoring Voltage Core to default
    3) Rebooting machine, its booting up perfectly
    4) Converting Video File, unfortunately it hanged ! ..

b)
    1) Increasing Voltage Core to 1.3
    2) Reseting DDR2 Voltage to default
    3) Rebooting machine, its booting up perfectly
    4) Converting Video File, unfortunately it hanged ! ..

My Question is,
    Since because I changed the RAM to kingston, don't I need to change anything in below details:
    Code:
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8] 
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.0]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450] 
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00D] = 900Mhz
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________6
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 5
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Manual]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Auto] 
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] 
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2] 
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]
    I uploaded for you the RAM Details from CPU-Z:
    Download RAMDetails.png

Dear Lsdmeasap,
    Also I returned 4GB of Kingmax to slots and removed all Kingston and added 0.3v to DDR2 and rebooting the machine.

converting the video and still hanging ..

Red face Re: Cannot Overclock with my GA-X48-DQ6 & Q9550 E0 ! ..

Dear Lsdmeasap,
    New Status and Testing ..

1) I re-fixed all Kingston DDR2 to their slots and removed all Kingmax.
    2) I decreased the CPU Frequency to 400 instead of 450. Therefore, the CPU is = 3.2GHz.
    3) I selected 2.00D = 800Mhz which is equal to original Memory
    4) Times = 5-5-5-18
    5) Rebooting the machine
    6) Converting is working fine
    7) However, according to Core Temp application, the CPU is using between 2.40Ghz and 2.80Ghz only instead of 3.20GHz. Why dear?

How can I solve it so it should use full speed of CPU?
    Download CPUDetails.png

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information