Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-P55A-UD3 not enabling DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 with ram installed

Default GA-P55A-UD3 not enabling DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 with ram installed

Hello Everyone,

Been so long since I've been on these forums I forgot I had a username! Anyways I'm building a system for my dad (gaming and video editing).

Here is my short story:

[i]I was getting nothing on boot; no beeps (found out later my case/mobo does not have a speaker so that explains the lack of beeps, but it still wouldn't have mattered since the mobo/memory give the same 1 long, 1 short beep), just a quickly turning on and off of the main power. The odd thing was if unplugged the system would turn on for about 10 seconds, then turn off/on/off/on, but if I just rebooted the system it would happen almost immediately. All of the fans, HDD's, and DVD-drive seemed to be working so I was really worried. I got really freaked out thinking it was the CPU overheating and turning off prior to damage but I took my time with the installation.

So after spending about 3 hours this morning and getting really upset I tried to remove everything one at a time. Fan headers, extra HDD, restart button, HD activity, nothing was working. Then I thought the ram could be the issue (again since there was no post beeps that would lend me to believe it was ram I didn't put much thought into this). After my last build almost drove me mad (1 of my 2 sticks of ram was bad), I always do the single stick in the proper slot (DDR3_1 on this mobo). I started playing musical chairs with the ram (I have a total of 8GB in 4 sticks). When I put the stick in either of the farther away ram slots DDR3_4 or DDR3_3 suddenly I was able to POST with no problem! I was so happy, until I did some more experimentation and believe both the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 slots are faulty (I can do any combo of sticks (so I know none of my ram modules are faulty) in the 3 and 4 slots, but once I try to put anything in the 1 and 2 slots the system goes back to the no POST reboot-loop).

What this means is I can't run in dual-channel mode correct? When looking at the mobo manual in order to run in dual-channel you need to be in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 (for 4 gigs) and obviously all 4 for 8 gigs. The only way I'm able to get it to work is in the farther 2 slots (DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 which while giving 4 gigs of memory is I don't think going to operate in dual-channel). As an aside, what program can I use to see if I'm running in dual-channel?

Here is my build from Newegg:

N82E16832116754 WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP 1 99.99
    N82E16819115215 CPU INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G R 1 199.99
    N82E16822152185 HD 1T|SAMSUNG HD103SJ 32M 7K % 1 89.99
    N82E16817139005 PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-650TX 650W RT 1 89.99
    N82E16813128412 MB GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 P55 R 1 129.99
    N82E16820231276 MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH 2 114.99
    N82E16820167016 SSD 80G|INTEL SSDSA2M080G2XXX OEM 1 194.95
    N82E16814125318 VGA GIGABYTE|GV-R585OC-1GD RT 1 309.99
    N82E16827106289 DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 % 1 19.99

For this discussion the important information is that my PSU is more then adequate, everything was properly installed (I build a handful of systems each year for friends and family), and I have confirmed that EVERYTHING (each stick of ram, HD, SSD, video card, etc) works. As an almost-last resort I just successfully flashed the mobo bios to F8 (from F7 that was from the factory) using Q-flash, but no dice, still the same wierd results.

So I've come down to two options:

1. the mobo is faulty (and by faulty I mean 2 of the RAM sockets)

2. the ram I have (GSKILL F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH a.k.a. RipJaws 2X2GB) is somehow not compatible in dual-channel mode

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciative because I would highly like to avoid tearing the system completely down. One thought I had (since I have no DDR3 systems personally) was to go and buy some other brand from Staples to confirm it's not a ram incompatibility but I'd like to avoid the hassles if this can be determined to be a faulty board.

I can't post pics right now but in the bios I actually see all 4 stick in each slot (2048 MB), but on the next line under "Enabled Slot" Only 1 and 2 are listed while 3 and 4 have -. Total memory size is 4098MB. Same thing in windows. It says :

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 3.21 GB

How can it recognize the memory (meaning the mobo is somewhat working in those slots) but not allowing me to use it?!?!??

Thank you again in advance.
    Last edited by 7Enigma; 05-31-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-P55A-UD3 not enabling DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 with ram installed

Since you only have 2 sticks of memory you can only use the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 slots, the only way the others will work properly is if you have all slots populated.

You are reading the labels on the board right, and not just counting slots? 2 sticks need to be in the white slots, so just checking to be sure

Since you do appear to be having an issue with slot DDR3_1, can you please try again and set your own Ram voltage manually, and set QPI/Vtt to 1.15-1.25 and see if that allows slot 1 to work properly.

If this does not help the next thing to check would be shorts, make sure your CPU backplate is not shorting anywhere on the back, and make sure the front is also not shorting anything out.

Then if no shorts, you will need to check your CPU socket for bent pins.

Be careful when you look, don't want to bend anything trying to check! If you are unsure, please post a few high res images so we can check, it would be best if you did this anyway really so we can be sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Since you only have 2 sticks of memory you can only use the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 slots, the only way the others will work properly is if you have all slots populated.

You are reading the labels on the board right, and not just counting slots? 2 sticks need to be in the white slots, so just checking to be sure

Since you do appear to be having an issue with slot DDR3_1, can you please try again and set your own Ram voltage manually, and set QPI/Vtt to 1.15-1.25 and see if that allows slot 1 to work properly.

If this does not help the next thing to check would be shorts, make sure your CPU backplate is not shorting anywhere on the back, and make sure the front is also not shorting anything out.

Then if no shorts, you will need to check your CPU socket for bent pins.

Be careful when you look, don't want to bend anything trying to check! If you are unsure, please post a few high res images so we can check, it would be best if you did this anyway really so we can be sure
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have 8GB of memory (4 2GB sticks, all the same ram). But I'd be willing to deal with 4GB if it means I don't have to RMA the mobo and tear apart the system.

Here is what I've tried and the results:

-DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 gives me 2GB total, does not see the ram in DDR3_1

-DDR3_2 and DDR3_4 does not boot (lights/fans power up but no POST)

-DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 gives me 4GB total but only in single channel mode

The case (Antec 900) I have has a back-panel with a cut-out right behind both the ram and the CPU I'm assuming to avoid the possibility of shorting here. As it is, none of the pins look bad (burnt, deformed), and nothing is there to cause a short. I blew on the area heavily just in case there was metal dust or something I can't see by eye.

I put a stick in DDR3_3 and DDR3_1 since this boots but does not recognize the ram in DDR3_1. With this setup I tried 1.15 and 1.25 QPI/VTT with no change. I've already been using the manual Ram timings of 7-7-7-21 1T that the ram is rated at (using the Dram timing "quick" setting and only changing those 5 settings). I've tried both on auto and using these custom timings, and also with and without the XMI memory thing that reads the SPD info off the ram chips.

Here's another weird thing when looking in the bios with ram installed. When I have 2 sticks in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 under the enabled tab it shows DDR3_2 as having 2048MB with nothing in 1 and 3. There is NO STICK in that slot, but that's where it is showing.

I've got to leave for a sunday dinner but will attempt to get some pictures up later of exactly what I mean.

One last question as I leave: is the CPU capable of operating with bent pins, causing Dual-channel mode to not work and also one of the ram slots, but still be able to function fine in windows/gaming? I have a hard time believing that is possible since other than this fluke everything is working great?

Thanks again for the reply.

I wanted to also mention that while the G-skill ram I'm using is not directly on the memory compatibility .pdf on Gigabytes site, on the G-skill site it is listed as compatible, which is why I'm having a tough time imagining it's anything other than a faulty mobo.

Could you please answer my question at the end of my last post:

is the CPU capable of operating with bent pins, causing Dual-channel mode to not work and also one of the ram slots, but still be able to function fine in windows/gaming? I have a hard time believing that is possible since other than this fluke everything is working great?

OK, I tried some other things last night (removing some mounting screws on the mobo, really tightening them down, etc.) still with no luck. I'm currently running Memtest on the ram (slots 1 and 3 which is only giving me 2GB since 1 isn't working) to test. No errors so far but it's only been a short time.

The craziest thing again is that Memtest is showing BOTH sticks of ram with their proper information (I'm assuming pulled from the chips themselves), but only working on the 2GB stick in slot 3. It's driving me crazy. So I'm starting to really not like the idea of tearing this system apart (wife is having a baby in about 2 days), and started doing some research on just how bad 4GB of ram is in single channel vs. dual channel.

What I'm coming up with is that in most instances the performance benefit is very small (<5%) and so I'm seriously considering just living with the 4GB in single channel (to have this I would need to use slots 3 and 4). Thoughts?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, bent pins cause missing memory channels now, this is because the memory controller is now inside the CPU. This is a VERY common occurrence now with 1156/1366 boards

It is also normal for many programs to show the memory is there, but if you do not see it in taskmanager total memory it is failing you can ignore what you see in memtest, CPU-z, ect the memory/channel is not working.

I would not run 4GB single channel, for a few reasons, you wanted 8GB and using 4GB alone would suck add to that single channel and it's an easy no.

Have you removed the CPU and looked for bent/missing Socket pins yet? If not please do, and if you can't tell please take some high res images from a few angles and post them here so I can look for you (Do this anyway if you don't mind)

I'm having this same issue, I have four 2gb matching chips. I cannot get any chip to work in the slot that is labeled as dimm_1 it lists it in the bios as having 2048 memory but it isn't listed as enabled. I did what was suggested and looked at the pins, none were shorted or bent. I also adjusted the voltage and can't get the memory to show up in that slot. If I use slot/3/4 then it shows up with 4GB ram and seems fine. Anything else you would suggest?

Thanks,
    Paul

Post some pics of you cpu socket,close up ones if you can,what make/type of ram? Forget all software look in bios to see how much ram its detecting
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a picture of the slot...odd thing I found is the bios says that it sees 8gb of usable ram. But it shows that all four slots have memory. I tried 4x4gb 1066 gskill lifetime memory and it does the same thing only slots 3/2 work, can't get 1/4 to work no matter what.

GA-P55A-UD3 not enabling DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 with ram installed-p1020234-jpg

I can't see very well from that pic sorry,but there's three or four in a row on the right hand side/bottom row of pins?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information