Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 1.0 Issues - Boot Loop - Restarts itself - Bios resets on own

Default GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 1.0 Issues - Boot Loop - Restarts itself - Bios resets on own

I split this to it's own thread because my problems are compound now and I wanted to address all of them. To begin, here are my system specs and requested info.

CPU: Intel i7 920 Bloomfield
    MB: GA-X58A-UD3R
    PSU: Ultra X4 850W modular
    Ram: Corsair TR3X6G1333C9
    CPU cooler: Thermaltake SpinQ Black Widow Edition
    GPU1: XFX NVidia 220GT 1GB
    GPU2: XFX NVidia 220GT 1GB
    PCI-E: PCI-E SATA II raid card by I/O Gear
    PCI: 1394b/1394a Adaptec Card
    Pioneer BD-r 203 Bluray burner
    Kingwin Mobile Rack Tray Sata
    iStar 3bay Sata Rack tray
    9 HDD - 4x 2TB/2x 1TB/2x 750 TB/1x 320TB - All Hitachi Deckstars in AHCI mode

Additional info:
    O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
    Bios: F5

<div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_description">Bios Info:</div>
    <pre class="bbcode_code"style="height:200px;">M.I.T. MB Intelligent Tweaker
    -----------------------------
    -CPU Clock Ratio.................20X
    -CPU Frequency..............2.66 GHz

>Advanced CPU Features
    ---Intel Turbo Boost..........Enabled
    ---CPU Cores Enabled..............All
    ---CPU Multi-threading........Enabled
    ---CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E).. Disabled
    ---C3/C6/C7 State Support....Disabled
    ---CPU Thermal Monitor........Enabled
    ---CPU EIST Function..........Enabled
    ---Bi-Directional PROCHOT.....Enabled
    ---Virtualization Tech.......Disabled

-QPI Clock Ratio..................x36
    -QPI Link Speed................4.8GHz

>UnCore & QPI Features
    ---QPI Clock Ratio................x36
    ---Uncore Clock Ratio.............x17
    ---Isochronous Support........Enabled

-Base Clock Control....Disabled
    xBCLK Frequency..........133Mhz
    >Advanced Clock Control
    ---Base Clock Control........Disabled
    --xBCLK Freq...................133Mhz
    ---PCI express Freq..............Auto
    ---CPU Clock Drive..............800mV
    ---PCI Express Clock Drive......900mV
    ---CPU Clock Skew.................0ps
    ---IOH Clock Skew.................0ps

-Performance Enhance.............Turbo
    -System Memory Multiplier SPD.....10
    -Memory Freq..............1066..1333
    -DRAM Timing SPD...............Quick
    -Profile DDR Voltage............1.5V
    -Profile QPI Voltage..........1.175V
    >>>Channel A
    -CAS Latency Time...........8......9
    -tRCD.......................8......9
    -tRP........................8......9
    -tRAS......................20.....24
    -Command Rate...............2...Auto
    >>>Channel B
    -Command Rate...............1...Auto
    >>>Channel C
    -Command Rate...............1...Auto

-LoadLine Calibration.......Standard
    -CPU Vcore...........1.28125V...Auto
    -QPI/Vtt Voltage.....1.175V.....Auto
    -IOH Core............1.100V.....Auto
    -DRAM Voltage........1.500V.....Auto
    >Advanced Voltage Control
    >>>MCH/ICH
    ---PCIE..............1.500V.....Auto
    ---QPI PLL...........1.100V.....Auto
    ---IOH Core..........1.100V.....Auto
    ---ICH I/O...........1.500V.....Auto
    ---ICH Core..........1.100V.....Auto
    >>>DRAM
    ---DRAM Voltage......1.500V.....Auto
    ---DRAM Termination..0.750V.....Auto
    ---Ch-A Data Vref....0.750V.....Auto
    ---Ch-B Data VRef....0.750V.....Auto
    ---Ch-C Data VRef....0.750V.....Auto
    ---Ch-A Address VRef.0.750V.....Auto
    ---Ch-B Address VRef.0.750V.....Auto
    ---Ch-C Address VRef.0.750V.....Auto

PC Health Status
    Vcore........................1.268V
    DDR15V.......................1.520V
    +3.3V........................3.328V
    +5V..........................4.972V
    +12V........................12.365V
    CPU Temp....................43C
    MCH Temp....................44C</pre>
    </div>

Link to Initial Thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-x...tml#post357729
    </pre>
    Last edited by video pro; 05-31-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: add bios version

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 1.0 Issues - Boot Loop - Restarts itself - Bios resets on own

Issue 1:
    System will not recognize 12 GB of ram installed. If Ram is in slots 4 or 6, the system will boot loop. Sticks in slots 1-3 & 5 (all white slots and one blue slot) closest to CPU work but if in slots 4 or 6...instant boot loop.

Issue 2:
    With current bios settings (see above) system goes into several boot loops then posts and warns that overclocking caused an issue and resets Ram to 1066mHZ.

Issue 3:
    When system is shutdown, it powers off and then about 3 minutes later turns itself back on.

Issue 4:
    In o/s, the system thinks I have an a: drive (floppy) when none is attached.

What is going on here? Do I have a lemon?
    Last edited by video pro; 06-03-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: correction

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 1.0 Issues - Boot Loop - Restarts itself - Bios resets on own

See, this is why I said no need to split your issues into several threads, now I am not sure what has already been answered for you on your various other threads :)

Please keep everything in one post.

The system should post with a single stick in ANY of the white slots by itself, will it? I ask because you mentioned slots 5+6 as a problem, and slot 5 white should boot with one stick by itself, and we can easily test this.

Test with all six sticks one at a time in that slot and see if any of them act differently.

Please try that and see if it boots, if it does not then you may have a faulty kit of memory, bent CPU pins, A short somewhere on the front or backplate, or uneven pressure on your CPU mount.

If you do not want a A Drive, you need to disable the floppy in the BIOS. On the standard CMOS Page at the bottom, set A drive to NONE, then in the Advanced BIOS page set your first, second, third boot device to what you want removing floppy from the first one.

As for your settings (issues 2+3), lets get this slot issue sorted first then I will help with those. If you are not setting them right then what you mention as issue #2 happens, this is normal for incorrect settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    See, this is why I said no need to split your issues into several threads, now I am not sure what has already been answered for you on your various other threads :)

Please keep everything in one post.
    I am keeping everything in one thread. This one. I don't recall you ever saying anything to that effect but the reason I started this thread was because nothing had been answered in the original post and my problems have grown past the original post which was piggybacked on someone else's thread. To be clear I have no other threads related to this problem.

EDIT: I see now your reply in a PM indicating this advice. This thread contains all pertinent information relating to the issues I am experiencing.
    ...The system should post with a single stick in ANY of the white slots by itself, will it? I ask because you mentioned slots 5+6 as a problem, and slot 5 white should boot with one stick by itself, and we can easily test this...
    To clarify slots 1,3, and 5 are all white, while slots 2,4,6 are all blue. The slot order from the processor is 2,1,4,3,6,5. I have slots 2,1,3,5 currently with Ram installed.

I have tested each one and all sticks are fine. I have also checked socket and there are no bent pins.
    ...If you do not want a A Drive, you need to disable the floppy in the BIOS. On the standard CMOS Page at the bottom, set A drive to NONE, then in the Advanced BIOS page set your first, second, third boot device to what you want removing floppy from the first one...
    It is set to "None" in bios and removed from the boot list but it is still persistent in OS when nothing is attached.

As for your settings (issues 2+3), lets get this slot issue sorted first then I will help with those. If you are not setting them right then what you mention as issue #2 happens, this is normal for incorrect settings.
    How about we get these settings issues fixed and then worry about the issue in 1. Though with all 4 issues I am a little worried that the board has issues and I don't want to risk damage to my other components. I figured issue 2 might be setting related but I have never heard of issue 3 or 4 nor have I ever encountered this on any of my other builds. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by video pro; 06-01-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: tighten up the quotes and fix ram numbering error

I just saw you posted in several places the same info is all, I had not replied to them all yet. Sorry for the confusion

Any white slot will work with a single module, as long as everything is as it should be. I know the slots are 1, 3, 5, white (Physical 2, 4, 6 from the CPU), I have several 1366 boards and I help with these all day.

Can you boot with all sticks (One stick and slot at a time)? More specifically can you boot with all sticks one by one in slot 5?

Have you checked for shorts on the front of your board by the heatinks or mounting holes, and the reverse under the backplate?

Not sure about your A issue, I know if I disable it it disappears from my OS, and if I enable it then it reappears. Maybe after you disable it, reinstall chipset drivers, or open device manager and right click your computer and scan for new hardware, maybe that will remove it?

We need to check slot 5 by itself before settings or 12GB are even considered, if slot 5 will not post by itself then you either have faulty memory, incompatible memory, or a faulty channel caused by a short, bent pin, uneven CPU mounting pressure, CPU needs remounted, or a faulty board (And faulty board is way down on the list of normal causes of this)

I think I caused the confusion here on the slots.
    I have ram installed in slots 2,1,3, & 5. The problematic slots are DDR3_4 AND DDR3_6, both blue slots.

Can you boot with all sticks (One stick and slot at a time)?
    Yes. I can post with each stick one at a time. I tested in slot 1.

Have you checked for shorts on the front of your board by the heatinks or mounting holes, and the reverse under the backplate?
    I have visually inspected the board and see no signs of shorts but have not removed the backplate of the socket or factory installed heatsinks. My cpu cooler uses no backplate and uses the plastic clip retention system.

The memory is neither faulty nor incompatible. Each stick tests fine independently and all sticks performed fine on 2 different EVGA boards before being migrated to this motherboard. I have checked the pins carefully and none are bent but as I am out of thermal paste at the moment I am not able to remove again to post images. I also think uneven CPU mounting pressure is highly unlikely as I have been very careful installing the CPU level and checked the clips on the cooler for equal penetration prior to installing board in the chassis. Though human error is always a possibility so I won't rule it out.

As to the A: drive issue I am wondering if when the reset occurred (issue 2) that this change may not have been saved. When we get the settings errors corrected I will check it again.

Ahh, OK, thanks!

Ya, no way to test those slots by themselves! I thought you said 5 o6 6, so I assumed #5 you meant DDR3_5

No need to remove the board blackplate, I assumed you were using an aftermarket cooler than had an additional plate.

Well since you cannot post images of your socket right now, we (I) can't be sure you do not have any bent or broken pins.

So for now we will have to assume you are good to go, but it would be great if you can post some images soon because I have heard many times for 2-3 pages that sockets/[ins are fine and then when I finally talk users into showing me images they clearly are not.

So when you can images would be great so we can be sure.

For now try these settings, set with 3-4GB than save/apply/reboot to windows, then shut down and put in the rest of the memory
    Code:
    M.I.T. MB Intelligent Tweaker

-----------------------------

-CPU Clock Ratio.................20X

-CPU Frequency..............2.66 GHz

>Advanced CPU Features

---Intel Turbo Boost..........Enabled

---CPU Cores Enabled..............All

---CPU Multi-threading........Enabled

---CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E).. Disabled

---C3/C6/C7 State Support....Disabled

---CPU Thermal Monitor........Enabled

---CPU EIST Function..........Enabled

---Bi-Directional PROCHOT.....Enabled

---Virtualization Tech.......Disabled

-QPI Clock Ratio..................x36 or x44

-QPI Link Speed................4.8GHz

>UnCore & QPI Features

---QPI Clock Ratio................x36

---Uncore Clock Ratio.............x17  << Cannot be correct.  You are using x10 memory multi so you should use x20-22, x17 would not boot so this can't be right, anyway manually set x20-22 for x10 memory mutli

---Isochronous Support........Enabled

-Base Clock Control....Disabled

xBCLK Frequency..........133Mhz

>Advanced Clock Control

---Base Clock Control........Disabled

--xBCLK Freq...................133Mhz

---PCI express Freq..............100

---CPU Clock Drive..............800mV

---PCI Express Clock Drive......900mV

---CPU Clock Skew.................0ps

---IOH Clock Skew.................0ps

-Performance Enhance.............Turbo  << May be ok, I find Extreme to work best but you may want to try them all

-System Memory Multiplier SPD.....10

-Memory Freq..............1066..1333

-DRAM Timing SPD...............Quick  << Expert, then set each channel main timings one by one (If you have a channel that only has - or NA, then you have a problem set all voltages, ect below then reboot and see if it still is the - or NA, if so bent pins is highly likely.)

-Profile DDR Voltage............1.5V

-Profile QPI Voltage..........1.175V

>>>Channel A

-Command Rate...............2...Auto  << Another issue, all channels must match, Set all to same timings 999-24-1T

>>>Channel B

-Command Rate...............1...1T

>>>Channel C

-Command Rate...............1...1T

-LoadLine Calibration.......Standard

-CPU Vcore...........1.28125V...Auto

-QPI/Vtt Voltage.....1.175V.....Auto  << Here is probably a larger part of the problem if nothing else.   Set 1.25-1.35 

-IOH Core............1.100V.....See below

-DRAM Voltage........1.500V.....See below

>Advanced Voltage Control

>>>MCH/ICH

---PCIE..............1.500V.....Auto

---QPI PLL...........1.100V.....1.1-1.24

---IOH Core..........1.100V.....1.14-1.2

---ICH I/O...........1.500V.....Auto

---ICH Core..........1.100V.....1.14

>>>DRAM

---DRAM Voltage......1.500V..... << Set 1.6 (1.5V rating is for one kit, and you are having issues with two so using more is normal)

---DRAM Termination..0.750V.....Auto

---Ch-A Data Vref....0.750V.....Auto

---Ch-B Data VRef....0.750V.....Auto

---Ch-C Data VRef....0.750V.....Auto

---Ch-A Address VRef.0.750V.....Auto

---Ch-B Address VRef.0.750V.....Auto

---Ch-C Address VRef.0.750V.....Auto

Thanks!

I am giving these settings a whirl and will let you know how they do. The floppy was showing in the bios so i am guessing when it reverted settings that was one of the changes so I disabled it again and that issue is resolved. I will try installing the other 2 ram sticks tomorrow but it may be a week before I can get any socket shots.

so to summarize:

issue 1-pending further testing

issue 2-resolved

issue 3-so far so good-will keep you updated

issue 4-resolved

thanks for your help!

Nice to see you solved the floppy issue, we overlook the smallest things when trying to setup a system so I know it can happen don't feel bad :)

Any luck with the settings I gave you yet? Just checking in

Okay. Time for some follow-up.

After making those changes, the system rebooted and posted just fine. After working on it for awhile that night I shutdown and waited. This time it stayed off and everything seemed fine. I did notice that my bus powered WD passport HDD stayed on even when the system was turned off which has never happened on any other system.

Yesterday, I turned it on and guess what...boot loop. After it did these for several minutes, i flipped the power switch on the PSU waited 1 minute and then booted it again. This time it did one boot, reboot and then posted with the message that overclocking or voltage changes had caused issues and the system may not reflect current changes. The ram was back to 1066 and the A: drive is back again too.

I never got to add the 2 extra ram sticks so that is untested.

What do you think should we tweak the voltages differently or try something else?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information