Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 dropping USB ports when recovering from sleep (fixed, I think)

Default EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 dropping USB ports when recovering from sleep (fixed, I think)

I have two EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 boards

One was running the older FB BIOS and the other I had upgraded to FD and then FE. The latter would often leave the keyboard and mouse disabled when recovering from sleep (causing me to not use sleep mode at all). I think it was not properly restoring power to the USB ports. Unplugging and replugging the keyboard and mouse didn't help.

After many attempts to fix the problem by changing Windows 7 settings or BIOS settings, I finally downgraded the BIOS on the latter system back to FB and the problem went away. I did spend just a little bit of time trying to find BIOS settings on FB that would then break it again, but once it was working my interest in spending hours trying random things went down pretty quick.

Just thought I would report this in hopes that somebody at Gigabyte would notice and investigate further. It is nice to have sleep working, as it cuts the electric bills!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 dropping USB ports when recovering from sleep (fixed, I think)

Please go ahead and send them a report
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

Sleep should work on FE, once you have 100% stable settings (And these may not be the same as your previous FB Settings)

Default Re: EP45-UD3P rev 1.6 dropping USB ports when recovering from sleep (fixed, I think)

Yeah, the FE BIOS definitely didn't solve the sleep problem (it was why I tried upgrading to it). Everything else seemed to work with FE though - there were no other stability issues.

Again, this is after numerous attempts to change multiple settings - it wasn't a quick try and give up sort of thing.

How long and with what are you stability testing? I rarely see S3 issues now on the UDx series P45's so I assume you may still have a stability issue, I mean it should be working for you otherwise.

Mind giving me your current settings you are trying with?

Memory stability was done with memtest86+, running both overnight and also hammering on test 5. If you search my previous posts (there are probably less than 10) you will see that both systems were freezing intermittently for quite a while. This turned out to be incompatible software. One system has now been running Win7 x64 and my multiple apps (outlook firefox, Quicken, etc) for days on end without failure. The other system is a MediaPC with win7 x64, so runs mostly Windows Media Center (or whatever they call it) and Firefox. It also has a set of 6 disks set up as a RAID 5 array with Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers. It also runs all day and is entirely stable (finally!! It took months to sort out the source of the freezing). The only troubles are when recovering from sleep using FD and FE BIOS, and the symptoms are the same for both - dead keyboard and mouse. I was led to suspect the BIOS because one system was running FB and didn't exhibit the problem until I upgraded it to FE. The sleep problem appears to be entirely fixed with FB (although until I have run it for a couple weeks I won't declare total success).

I would be happy to send you the BIOS settings. I forget if your template captures all of them though - I have an internal version I have been using for the memory settings (most of which are AUTO). Can you send me a pointer to it?

PS: I am aware that you don't believe that all AUTO memory settings could possibly work with 8Gb. All I can say is that for me it does. Just hoping to avoid an unfruitful line of inquiry.

Thanks!

Are these USB keyboard/mice? If so can you test them using PS/2 adapters to see if they act the same under a resume.

Even if they don't work right in windows, I know some USB dont work with Adapters, just wanted you to test this if possible.

Templates are linked in my signature

Well in a way yes, auto memory timings may work for 8GB, but they would be killing performance (IE Main timings of 599-24 or worse)

The main setting for 8GB timing-wise to check is tRFC, as long as that is high enough you can likely set the rated spec for main timings and leave the rest on auto. of course not setting tRD will also kill performance, or hinder progress depending on what value it is setting.

You can see exactly what auto is giving you by checking with Memset, please post an image of this as well when/if you post your full settings
    Tweakers.fr

Here are the settings for my 8gb computer

Here are the settings for the 4Gb with RAID setup for a media PC

Do you need help with those, or were you posting for others to use later?

No need to help. The computers generally are working well.

The Media PC computer does occasionally go into the power cycle of death when recovering from sleep. Not sure why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information