Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P55M-UD2, i5-750 & F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ unstable at stock clocks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: P55M-UD2, i5-750 & F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ unstable at stock clocks

Hmm, very odd to hear since it passes mem test so long. Are you sure the Vcore is stable for your settings?

Maybe try a clean OS install?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Maybe try a clean OS install?
    I could try it, however the OS install is virtually clean already (-3 days old), all I've installed are drivers, directX, java and system diagnostics/feedback apps (Sandra, CPU-Z, HardwareMonitor, Speedfan, OCCT, Prime95, etc)
    Oh, and fallout 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Hmm, very odd to hear since it passes mem test so long. Are you sure the Vcore is stable for your settings?
    I'm not sure, Vcore is set to auto, as is the base clock/multiplier/etc....
    In-Windows voltage readings range between 1.232v at full load turboboost 1core, ~1.12v full load 4cores, to 0.848v/0.896v idle

At this point I'm not trying to overclock, just to get it stable at stock clocks.

It seems like it cannot be a defective/incompatible memory problem since the same issue occurs with the known stable (+6months) DDR3 kit from my P55-UD3R build, as well as when I swapped in a different PSU. (Both still installed, issue unchanged)

What are my next steps? At what point do I RMA the motherboard as defective?
    Last edited by Logicaluser; 06-05-2010 at 04:21 AM.

Well maybe some drivers are the issue, that's more what I was asking about a clean install for.

I'd only really do it if you have a second disk that would be easy for you to do it with, otherwise I know it can be a hassle if it's not something you are used to doing.

Vcore Auto may be the issue, try setting this yourself to a higher value than you see now under load, and use level 1 LLC

I doubt it is the motherboard, not very likely. Try more voltage and see how it does, if it still fails then I would think about RMA'n the CPU not the board

So.... I pulled the video card yesterday, and the machine did not freeze when equipped with an 8600GT.

I reinstalled the GTS 250 and the freezing returned, even after I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, as well as when booted into safe mode (although it seemed to take far longer to freeze?)

So... to confirm my suspicions I again swapped the GTS 250 out with a similar card (9600GSO 512MB w g92 core & 6-PIN PCI-E power) and have been testing since early this morning without a freeze, so it seems a likely suspect.

However... the machine I swapped cards with (p45-DS3R/E5200) has somehow yet to freeze either, even tho its running the GTS 250 now. I mean... I've only tested it for a couple hrs now, its just puzzling that it hasn't froze yet, even when put though the same conditions. Still testing, if it freezes I've confirmed the issue, but if it doesn't I'm confused.

Is it possible there is something to do with some aspect of the P55/i5-750 combo (or its settings) that is exposing a flaw/weakness in the GTS 250 and freezing the system? (yet not affecting the other cards?) Or something on the P45 that is different enough to prevent the freezing?

I could try it in my other 9 month old P55/i5-750 build and try to replicate the crash, I just went to the least used machine we have I could pull a similar video card from
    Last edited by Logicaluser; 06-06-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Hmm, not sure what to surmise until you have finished testing the 250 on the P45 setup.

both machines are still stable, both subjected to the same conditions that resulted in freezing with the p55+gts250 without a freeze (idling with nothing open, idling with CPU monitoring apps open, CPU stress testing followed by idling, web browsing, navigating through the HD, etc...)

I'm going to keep testing both, hopefully one of them freezes so I'll know wtf is going on...

If not, tomorrow I'll reassemble the p45+9600GSO machine and try swapping the gts250 into my stable p55-UD3R+i5+9800GTX+ build and see what happens to both it and the p55m-ud2

After tons of testing I was all ready to RMA the graphics card (all boxed up & everything), but missed the cutoff yesterday for shipping, and I'm glad I did, heh

So... I had decided to just use the 9800GTX+ and I went about prepping the machine for use, but the machine is still freezing with the 9800GTX+ installed, just not as frequently.

Much, much less often mind you, but what appears to be the same symptoms (frozen screen, no keyboard/numlock response requiring hard reset) has occurred 3x in the past 36hrs, in addition to one crash @ black screen when left overnight idle (computer sleep disabled, display set to sleep) that could be related, and another @ black screen while on OS 10.6.0 & left idle (may be OSx86 related tho)

Now... this freezing happened 20x more often with the GTS 250 installed, yet the GTS 250 never did have any issues running in either of my other builds, so my suspicions are back on the mobo. I can't ship anything back till monday anyways, so will get the GTS 250 back in my other i5 build to test until then

Any suggestions?

Hmm, try increasing your PCH and ICH voltages a bit and see if that helps any, put in your 250 so if the issue is going to occur it will show up quicker.

So... another two freezes with the 9800GTX+ since I posted that last night

I've now disabled both sleep & display sleep entirely (and turned brightness/contrast/gamma to 0 to avoid burn-in) so I can see what's happening when it crashes. (one crash while downloading in firefox when otherwise idle, the second overnight with no real activity)

I'll throw the GTS250 back in shortly and see what if anything happens when I play with the PCH & ICH voltages. (both @ 'auto' currently, is there a safe range I should stay within?)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information