Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel X-25 M G1 question about IDE vs AHCI and more

Default Intel X-25 M G1 question about IDE vs AHCI and more

Hey everyone

Some time ago - last year I bought one of those Intel X-25 M 80GB G1 SSDīs and I could use some help. For what reason I canīt remember now, but at the time when I installed my SSD it had to be in IDE mode I think, and it has worked well ever since. But right now a friend of mine is about to buy a Intel X-25 M 80 GB G2, and I read that for TRIM to work in Windows 7 it needs to be set in AHCI mode right?

I know that if you have your X-25 G1 installed in IDE mode and try to change it to AHCI you will get BSOD, and read about that work around to get it in AHCI mode. I then tried that and to my surprise it performs a whole lot better, see picture. I guess after almost a year my G1 has not lost its performance yet. I must say the numbers looks a bit strange if you ask me and nothing like it used to be - what happend here?

To my 1st question - at boot up on my screen it searches for drives and it is not the usual fast booting from the Gigabyte logo straight to loading Windows 7 - what have I forgot in BIOS to disable/prevent this search?

Onto my 2nd question: My friend wants to install a SSD to his Gigabyte P45 motherboard and use for primary boot device with Windows 7 - with a game or 2 on it. Windows 7 is currently on a Seagate 750 GB, but he wants that to be functioning as 2nd HD for pictures, films and stuff. Now he asked me for help, but being a newbie on this I thought it best to get some help. I am not sure if the first thing to do is to set to AHCI in BIOS and shut down the PC and unplug - then disconnect the Seagate HD and then install the Intel X-25 HD - repower and install Windows 7 - then on reboot go into BIOS and set the SSD as primary boot device? He could then reconnect the Seagate and partition it or whatever it is he wants to do with it. Or is this not even needed - to disconnect the Seagate I mean?

A step by step guide would really help - thanks.

Poul

Default Re: Intel X-25 M G1 question about IDE vs AHCI and more

do you have the ssd plugged into port0 and the storage hdd's in port 1-2?? any sata dvd drives should be in port5,i would unplug any hard drives and just keep the one you want to install your os onto just to be safe,then plug back in any extra hdd's and swap or arrange your files to how you want them,easeus partition master is a good program to partition/format and name your drives,to improve your start up times select 0 for hdd delay in the bios and disable any un-needed drives like floppy drives ect from bios and the boot order
    Last edited by wazza300; 06-07-2010 at 02:19 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey wazza300

I think Aaron (the friend I am talking about) who is browsing this site, could tell if he still has questions on how to install.

Poul

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

To speed up boot times use the latest BIOS, and disable A drive in Standard CMOS page if you do not have a floppy connected, it's at the bottom of the page

As for TRIM, it will work in IDE or AHCI mode

As for the SSD install, he could do it that way or just move the seagate first. You want the SSD in the first port (SATA2_0), then put the seagate in the second one, then adjust the BIOS hard drive boot priority (Top of the Advanced BIOS page) so the SSD by name is at the top of the list.

Then later he can either delete his windows install on that disk, or leave it, it wont boot to it anymore as long as you set the SSD to boot first

Thanks for responses and thanks Poul. Should'nt have any troubles once new SSD arrives.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Anytime!

Good luck setting things up, stop back in and let us know how you like it and how you get along with the setup.

Thread Information