Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ep35-ds3 overclock won't hold

Question ep35-ds3 overclock won't hold

giga ep35-ds3 per the sig

for some weird reason if is as slow as a wet weekend to exit the bios (whereas previously it was very fast) and then after f10 to save the previously very stable settings it enters power save and reboots, defaulting to stock

had been 3.75 as per the sig, at 395x9.5, and rock solid

a reflash of the f4 bios effects no improvement; it had been working okay then crashed and re-set the bios to f1... and although i chose f4 i am uncertain that it was the previous bios (2nd hand board, didn't look until it crashed, 'cos it had been working - although i'd swapped out the q6600 it came with for the xeon, and had no problem till i changed the boxes)

no new hardware or other fiddling since it last worked... the only thing it'd done was sit unused for a few days after the bios was set to f4 after the crash; i am perplexed, as ttbomk it booted fast and fine in the interim a few times, although maybe never from a completely cold boot after the initial flash

i intend to rebuild it on the bench to see if it's a short (if i can't avoid that), but wondered if there are issues with the f4 bios that mean the f3 may be a better - and possibly the initial - bios, when i got it

so - easier to reflash to f3 and see... but can anyone confirm f4 is tricky with 45nm e0 ?

xeon e3120 @ 3750 1.20v / t.r.u.e. / 2x2gig geil pc6400 / wd black 640 / chaintech av710 + klipsch promedia ultra 2.0 + audio-technica ad700 / antec nsk6500 & corsair hx650 / xfx hd5770 1gig @ 950/1435 / dell 2407wfp / win7

is what my sig would say if i could see it (it's in my profile)

Last edited by scruffy1; 06-06-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ep35-ds3 overclock won't hold

About your signature, did you maybe fill it out after you made this post? If so that is why it was not included this time, it had to be filled out before your post to be shown

I would flash back to the very latest BIOS here, and please DO NOT USE @BIOS (page 2 for this board I believe)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

You need to start from optimized defaults F7, then adjust your settings as needed per your hardware (memory voltage, MCH Voltage, ect)

I would avoid flashing back to a older BIOS since you have the Xeon in there, you may end up having to switch back again to the Q6000 to get it working if you flash to a unsupported BIOS for the Xeon.

I'd stick with the very latest, no reason to use a old BIOS at all.

Give me a link to your memory, and flash the latest BIOS and start with optimized defaults. Then set your ram voltage, MCH to 1.2-1.24 for 4GB, and maybe adjust tRD (Static tRead Value) to 8-9 for now until we get this sorted.

Then once you have tried getting things going like that, give me your full settings in a template from my signature if you are still having issues and I will advise back

already managed some success with upping the tRead to 8 and bumping the mch to 8

the o/c seems to hold as long as the board is already heated up from a cold boot, but after prolonged "off" time it boots into the splash screen then cycles to power down before rebooting with the stock settings after a very prolonged "think" at the splash screen

if i let it boot and then stress the cpu to warm it up it seems more obliging with the o/c settings holding

the only other variable is that i have 2 usb drives connected at boot up, and i will experiment without them

i'll fill in your attached chart after a little more tweaking

thx so far

addn : boots without complaint with legacy usb support off (maybe a red herring)
    my suspicion is that giga need to provide a choke for the board, so like my motorbike it won't stall when it's cold
    Last edited by scruffy1; 06-08-2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: further info
    xeon e3120 @ 3750 1.20v / t.r.u.e. / ep35-ds3 / 2x2gig geil pc6400 / wd black 640 / chaintech av710 + klipsch promedia ultra 2.0 + audio-technica ad700 / antec nsk6500 & corsair hx650 / xfx hd5770 1gig @ 950/1435 / dell 2407wfp

MCH to 8?

Yes, please try removing those drives, and or leaving them and disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect in the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS, these devices and or this setting has been known to cause issues in these older boards.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [395]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [auto]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______ 5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ auto (3)
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ auto (3)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________auto (6)

Refresh to ACT Delay______________auto(52)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________auto (3)
    Static tRead Value_______________ 8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ auto (0)

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV] n/a
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal] n/a
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal] n/a

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.00V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.0V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.0V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.275]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Enabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Enabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

fwiw the usb drives made no issue with the ep35-ds3p or the 965 based board

and should i turn off virtualisation (don't use virtual machines) ?

the usb was previously enabled when i went to try and flash using the usb - it didn't work, and i flashed to the current (f4) bios the old floppy way with success
    Last edited by scruffy1; 06-08-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    xeon e3120 @ 3750 1.20v / t.r.u.e. / ep35-ds3 / 2x2gig geil pc6400 / wd black 640 / chaintech av710 + klipsch promedia ultra 2.0 + audio-technica ad700 / antec nsk6500 & corsair hx650 / xfx hd5770 1gig @ 950/1435 / dell 2407wfp

Ya, go ahead and turn off Virtualization if you do not use it.

Yes, Legacy USB Storage needs to be enabled to use USB Devices in DOS, you can enable for flashing then disable when you are done if you find it correct the booting with USB Devices connected issue for you

MCH needs to be +0.2-0.3 for 4GB, and you should set your ram voltage to spec manually as well (+0.3 = 2.1V so adjust accordingly)

Why not use 400 FSB round?, if you set 395 it is just before the strap change. I remember having problems with 390 or 395, ended using 400 instead.

here is what hppend with the perormance level and voltages,

if you have MCH on AUTO and 400FSB or MCH +0.2 it results trd8 and 1.42V on MCH when it is hot, and trd7 / 1.32V when it is cold. that is bad. it will affect how motherboard boots from cold boot. more voltage will worsen the chances of success by adding phase delay. keep it to +0.1 instead.

if you have possibility check the Phase delay in everest, it has to be neutral, and every time you boot the dimm delay should be the same numbers. sometimes the board tries to add tread delay and this is bad, set it manually to something. in my case it didn't add delay, but with 395 FSB it probably does.

Here is what happends if you leave MCH, tRD on auto depending whether the chipset is hot or cold, depending on the voltage of mch, and if you are using the closest dimm to the cpu 1+3 or 2+4. the wiring is shorter in the closest dimm, the motherboard tries to set more agressive dimm delay if it is cold, that doesnt work well. some dimm delays just cause corruption of data as the mch passes the information between cpu and dram.

i managed to get 9 out of 10 successfull boots with 400FSB on P31 board.
    Last edited by yuu; 06-08-2010 at 05:43 PM.

the ram is spec'd at 400fsb 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8vdimm

memset doesn't suggest i have the option of bumping +0.3v for tighter latencies, and i would prefer to not fry the ram (hand on heart for the late lamented patriot 2x2 that i fried one stick of due to poor seating in a sloppy swap out in the ep35-ds3p, that also took out the ram slot)

i know from long experience that the xeon needs a disproportionate vcore bump to exceed 3750 and remain stable, although that may be ram related in light of the comment about +0.2v for the mch with 4 gig of ram

and is the colour of the ram slots of any importance in terms of placement ?

the ds3p i burnt the patriots in has only the red pair to choose from now, although it did a good job running 4 gig as 2x1 in the red and 2gig single in the remaining yellow slot - the mobo manual confirms it is possible, and the monitoring told me it was dual channel

i'll bump the mch as suggested; it may be one of the factors making it unhappy on a cold boot

and i lack everest for monitoring the finer settings; hwmonitor suggests the ram is at 1.9vdimm even though it is at +0v (=1.8v) in the bios settings

thx to all for the help thus far
    Last edited by scruffy1; 06-08-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Ya, I often suggest using 399 or 401, so you are not right on the line.

Memset, I am not sure what you mean by it suggesting voltages to you? What did you mean? I am not aware of your memory since you have not linked it or gave the model number, so I wasn't sure on voltages and was only stating +0.3 = 2.1v so you would know what is what when adjusting.

Auto = Supposed to be 1.8V
    +0.1 = 1.9
    +0.2 = 2.0
    +0.3 = 2.1

Color of ram slots lets you know which slots go together you should use the yellow slots (1+3)

the ram is geil - 2gbx2 pc6400 cas5 ; they have the silver heat sinks and are listed as "value ram" on their site, and the sticks say gx24gb6400dc

memset gives the tabular options for settings; there appears to be no intrinsic option to overvolt them for greater speed or better latencies

since turning off the boot from usb option i am looking stable

should i try my luck with setting -0.1v for the ram given hwmonitor suggests it's actually getting 1.9vdimm ?

again, thanks for good advice all involved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information