Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: x58a-ud7: boot failure after changing ICH10R to raid

Default Re: x58a-ud7: boot failure after changing ICH10R to raid

[SOLVED] (at least for now)

a brief wrapup of the steps that might have done the trick for anyone plagued by the same issue.

following lsd's advice above, i disconnected all drives, leaving just the SSD win7 boot drive in port 0 on the intel controller, rebooted, entered bios to make sure ICH was set to AHCI and the SSD was the first boot drive (both was the case). quit bios and let the reboot run...

...same problem - DISK BOOT DRIVE FAILURE.

so it's back to google...

found someone recommending a bootable utility called partition wizard to fix system booting issues. download and burnt the iso onto a cd and rebooted into partition wizard.

the wizard displayed my SSD win7 partition, but its status was showing as NONE. so i set it to ACTIVE (hit apply) and quit to reboot.

next thing you know, it's no longer "DISK BOOT FAILURE", but a much more upbeat "BOOTMGR missing" message.

ok, more google yielded the tip of loading the win7 installation CD, entering system repair options and running the startup disc repair. i did, it said it fixed 1 error, and i hit restart.

nothing... same problem.

booted from win7 cd again (cussing that the CDDROM drive was found by bios at random, only like every other time, despite being set as first booting drive, alternatively greeting me with the BOOTMGR missing message), entered repair options, cmd prompt and executed a couple of commands recommended by another user - see below).

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

rebooted, entered bios to change booting drive back to HDD, but nothing changed - BOOTMGR missing.

at this point i was about to give up, but just out of spite rebooted from the win7 cd, entered the startup repair at just let it try the automatic repair one more time.

rebooted and the impossible happened, windows booted.

dont know what did the trick and still feel like i was all over the place making all sorts of logical changes first, later followed by random and desperate ones, but maybe there is a hint to be found in here somewhere for future victims.

@lsd

once in windows 7 i checked the registry keys you had pointed out, and the first two were set to 0 already, the last one was 3, so i set it to 0.

i also checked that i had the latest intel ICH10r driver installed (9.6.0.1014) - the one supposed to allow RAID arrays on the controller while supporting TRIM on a non-RAID SSD drive connected to the same controller (link below - text in german says what i just said and suggests that though the driver might not be that much better in terms of performance than the MSAHCI, at least it doesnt cancel TRIM if you set up a raid array p[not involving the SSD] on the same controller).

seit heute bietet zumindest Intel auch einen Raid Treiber an, der die Trim Funktionalität sicherstellt: Intel Rapid Storage-Technologie 9.6.0.1014 .
    Die Performance Unterschiede im Vergleich zum Microsoft MSAHCI-Treiber sind zwar nicht all zu groß, aber wer an seinem Intel ICH-Controller parallel zu einer einzelnen SSD noch einen RAID-Array aus HDDs betreibt, kann dies ab sofort auch zumindest unter Windows 7 tun, ohne das der Treiber die Trim-Funktionalität für die SSD cancelt !

for now, i am just glad to be able to boot windows again and havent had the nerve yet to create a raid array again (despite making the registry key change and having the latest driver).

thanks to wazza and lsd for taking their time.

bottom line for me is_ whether this was a bios or OS issue, it should be much easier to recover from changing an innocent setting like.

regards

tomas

did you format any hdd with the other hdd's installed or try to install the os with other hdd's with os's on them? as this usually upsets the bootmngr,and yeah sometimes you have to use the start up repair a few times for it to fix it completely,im glad you fixed it
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    did you format any hdd with the other hdd's installed or try to install the os with other hdd's with os's on them? as this usually upsets the bootmngr,and yeah sometimes you have to use the start up repair a few times for it to fix it completely,im glad you fixed it
    no, i didn't. what i have done was this:

1. plug everything in with all the drives factory-new and unformatted
    2. boot from the win7 install cd
    3. enter repair and cmd prompt
    4. format the SSD with a single partition and alignment 1024 (following a guide saying wrong alignment - though win7 should get it right on autopilot install - can slow ssd speed down by almost 50%
    5. install win7
    6. install most of the programs i use
    7. reboot, enter bios and change the ICH controller to RAID in order to create the raid (all caviar HDDs still unformatted at this point)
    8. reboot, enter the RAID config utility (ctrl-I)
    9. create raid 1 of the two 2TB discs
    10. reboot
    11. DISK BOOT FAILURE
    12. the rest described above

i forgot one more thing i have done before things started working again (namely the last 3 commands in the howto below, after that i used the win7 CD repair and that got me back on track):

you can rebuild the BCD store by using the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment. To do this, follow these steps: - Get your Windows 7 installation DVD and pop it into your drive.
    - Then restart your computer.
    - Press a key when you are prompted.
    - Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next
    - Click Repair your computer
    - Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next
    - In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt
    - Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and then press ENTER

• If Bootrec runs successfully, it will present you with the installation path of a Windows directory. To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes . A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

• If Bootrec cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it. To do this, type the following commands in the order shown below: (Remember to press ENTER after each command)

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

- Restart the computer.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You needed to do the Registry changes I mentioned right after step 6, then you would not have this problem.

The reason you needed to rebuild the BCD is due to what I described previously in regards to the SSD not being first in the hard disk boot priority, so the BCD was installed to another drive

Glad you got this all sorted now though!

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You needed to do the Registry changes I mentioned right after step 6, then you would not have this problem.

The reason you needed to rebuild the BCD is due to what I described previously in regards to the SSD not being first in the hard disk boot priority, so the BCD was installed to another drive

Glad you got this all sorted now though!
    you have a point with the BCD and SSD not being first in the boot priority after the raid was created in intel matrix, but it didnt occur to me this needed checking. when i checked (after a failed boot, meaning too late) the SSD was indeed demoted to no. 3 after the 2 raid disks, but at this point no amount of moving it to the top again made a difference, since as you say the BCD was installed to the raid1 (despite being unformatted?).

regarding the necessary registry change after step 6 (before the controller switch and creating the raid)... i mean, really, how many people besides you would have thought of that and the consequences of not doing it? with the latest ICH drivers installed and all...

i was probably a bit starry-eyed believing a PC build means plugging the parts together, formatting drives and installing the system, but i still dont believe most builders are that savvy in critical registry key tweaks.

anyway, thanks a lot for your help and i hope changing the third key from 3 to 0 will be enough not to derail me the day i muster enough courage for another foray into the raid manager:)

then it is on to 4ghz, but that's a different story where i can be guided by the tons of tips you and others have lavishly spread all over this forum.

t

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You will be fine this time around now that you know how to enable all those modes to be bootable!

Anytime you are ready I (And others) can help you with an overclock, just let us know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information