Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: x58a-ud7: boot failure after changing ICH10R to raid

Default x58a-ud7: boot failure after changing ICH10R to raid

hi guys,

i must be missing something very silly and obvious here and have probably done things in the wrong order, but hope you can help me. sorry if a similar problem has already been addressed in the past in this forum. i have found one similar, but that was overclocking related, mine isn't.

the rig:

x58a-ud7
    i7 930 (running at stock)
    12 gb corsair

hdds:

SSD intel x25m g2 160 gb (os windows 7 64bit)
    2x wd caviar black WD2001FASS 2tb
    2x wd caviar black WD1001FALS 1tb

all of them connected to the onboard intel ich10r controller

what i have done so far:

1. set ICH to AHCI in bios
    2. format and install windows 7 onto the SSD

everything groovy for 2 days

today i decided to move on with the setup and raid1 the two 2tb drives as follows:

3. set ICH to raid (xhd) (unfortunately without enabling XHD on the first line)
    4. save changes to bios
    5. enter the intel matrix raid setup on reboot (ctrl-i)
    6. create a raid1 of the two 2tb drives
    7. exit, reboot

that's where things went amiss.

on the next boot the bios froze on the verifying DMI pool data screen, and later asked to boot from CDROM

8. trying to revert to the last working configuration i hit reset, entered bios and changed ICH back to AHCI... same result - boot from CD, then DISK BOOT FAILURE

9. changed ICH to IDE... same result

10. changed ICH to RAID, rebooted, entered the RAID config and deleted the RAID1

11. rebooted, changed ICH to AHCI in bios - same result

any clues?

the two 2tb drives are unformatted, not sure if one has to format them first and then raid.

or do you have to set up the raid first and only install the OS afterwards?

regards

tomas

p.s. attaching some screenshots (analogue)

Default Re: x58a-ud7: boot failure after changing ICH10R to raid

did you install the sata raid driver from gigabyte website??

GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    did you install the sata raid driver from gigabyte website??

GA-X58A-UD7 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE
    hi wazza300,

i did. in fact, after installing windows, i first installed all the drivers that came on the gigabyte install disc, and then download all the latest drivers from the link you posted and ran the installers just to be on the safe side.

even if the raid werent supported, i wonder why i shouldn't be able to simply change the ICH setting back to AHCI, and boot windows like before. i mean i haven't touched the OS installation, so there is no reason for it to be corrupt.

it just occurred to me, if that doesnt sound too far-fetched, i shut down and unplugged the machine yesterday because of a hefty storm, and replugging it today blew the fuses.

any chance the SSD could be affected, but would it then be recognised on startup at all?

i dont know,i dont know much about raid either as i havnt used it but i have done the reg tweak for win7 to enable ahci,have you tried that to see if things will run again in ahci mode?(ahh sorry forgot that you cant get into windows) have you tried clearing the cmos?? it will wipe any bios settings so make a note before you do it.....you havnt set the first boot device as your dvd drive have you? by mistake?
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

just gave it try, but clearing cmos didnt help. chose 'last know good' on reboot, but ended up with the same 'disk boot failure...'

the first boot device was set to hdd, with the ssd on top, even though failed boots seem to have reshuffled the booting order several times, putting the ssd after the two caviars, so i had to move it to the top manually and save, but to little effect.

thanks for your effort, much appreciated. i am calling it a day now, and will get back to the issue tomorrow.

t

its when you switch from ide to ahci and back that it shuffles the hard drives around in the boot order,when it prompts you to install cd have you tried inserting the win7 install disk and doing a start up repair?? just put the os disk in and follow the onscreen prompts it will let you repair the start up on the os sometimes,or even a system restore,its worth a try
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    its when you switch from ide to ahci and back that it shuffles the hard drives around in the boot order,when it prompts you to install cd have you tried inserting the win7 install disk and doing a start up repair?? just put the os disk in and follow the onscreen prompts it will let you repair the start up on the os sometimes,or even a system restore,its worth a try
    makes sense, i did try switching to IDE and back to AHCI, so that explains the boot order.

will try the win7 repair and see if it makes a difference. maybe feed it the intel driver exe again in the process.

thanks for the tip

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You either have to install the OS in RAID before you do this, or do the following registry tweak and then go change the BIOS settings

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    Remove all those drives for now leaving only the SSD in SATA2_0 port, and then set AHCI in the BIOS again at the top, then you should be fine. Once you get going make the above changes, then you can shut down and install the other drives, change BIOS to RAID (XHD either way is the same FYI), and create your array's

And yes, always check the hard drive boot order in the advanced BIOS page, to make sure the drive you want to boot from is first in this list.

hi lsdmeasap,

thanks for stopping by. will try the steps you suggested this evening and report back.

meanwhile, what i still don't understand though (granted, i have little idea about the bios<->windows interaction), how come that restoring the bios setting to AHCI and deleting the raid didn't fix the problem, since the OS installation on the SSD remained unchanged... but there is probably more under the hood than a simple switch.

regards

tomas

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

K, good luck, hope you can get it!!

What you asked about, that may have fixed it before and you just didn't go move your OS disk back to the top of the hard drive boot priority list is all.

What you did should not have messed anything up, setting RAID when it is not enabled to boot from in the OS should just cause a boot failure is all.

Now setting AHCI/IDE when RAID is already previously enabled/used and or arrays setup as the OS boot drive, will corrupt the array, but that isn't what you are concerned with.

What you did should have just caused a boot failure since you did not make the above registry changes first, your OS should have been fine and you should have been able to switch right back to AHCI as long as you then moved your OS disk back to the top of the hard drive boot priority list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information