Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobo with VT-x AND VT-d for i7-860

Default Mobo with VT-x AND VT-d for i7-860

As the title indicates, I am about to buy new mobo that supports the i7-860.

I will be running Linux with KVM as the virtualization SW.

My question: the chipset of the mobo MUST support vt-x AND vt-d. Can you please suggest a range of boards.

My initial thought was the GA-P55A-???? range, but I can not find any commentary on whether vt-x AND vt-d is supported by the board. Both vt-x AND vt-d are supported by the cpu.

Thanks.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Mobo with VT-x AND VT-d for i7-860

This would be best asked directly, sorry I can't say for sure. I use Vmware, but that is about the limit of my virtualization knowledge.

Ask them here and let us know what they tell you
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

Thanks for the comment.

It looks like the GA-P55A-UD4P does support vt-x AND vt-d. (Have look at this blog entry with a date/time of 01/15/2010 at 2.57.15am)

However I have submitted a ticked asking for a full list.

I will post their response.

Cool to know, and thanks ahead of time for posting back once they do reply to your inquiry

I have had a response from GByte, but that response was off the mark in that they commented that only the Q35 and Q45 chipset motherboards support VT-d, and this response is at variance with my previous post mentioned above.

The problem is that the two above mentioned chipsets are not associated with the LGA 1156 Intel processors (eg i7-860, which is the cpu I have chosen).

I have submitted another ticket 5 days ago, but no response.

All I asked GByte was "Please supply a list of LGA 1156 cpu supported motherboards that can enable BOTH VT-x AND VT-d".

Could you please escalate the request please as I want to purchase very soon.

Thank you.

Send in another ticket, maybe it was overlooked? Normally only 2-3 days at the most for a reply

I have now received a reply from Gigabyte:

<table class="Block_Main" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>
    </td><td>
    </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>6/12/2010 13:08</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Could you please give me a list of LGA 1156 compatible motherboards that support Intel virtualization (namely vt-x AND vt-d).

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-P55A-UD4P(rev. 2.0)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 2.0
    BIOS Ver : ?
    Serial No. :
    Purchase Dealer :
    C/tick Number :
    VGA Brand : Model :
    CPU Brand : Model : Speed :
    Operation System : SP :
    Memory Brand : Type :
    Memory Size : Speed :
    Power Supply : W</td></tr></tbody></table>

So only that one model?

If so, hmm, wonder why? At least they gave you an answer this time though, thanks for posting back

Yes, I am just as perplexed as you over the lack of choice with respect to support for Intel's virtualization on the P55 chipset from G'Byte.

Also, FYI, I was sort of reprimanded by them in their response, for daring to ask a similar question 4 days apart. For me that is not a pleasant way to treat a customer. When I was at uni, I learned that despite everything, the customer is always right, you, as a supplier my not like it, but just grin and bear it, as the customer has no knowledge of the supplier's internal workings, especially when the questioner gets no initial acknowledgement as to the response time.

Anyway thanks for guiding me though this.

I have now received a second response from G'Byte as consequence of my identical 2nd question.

As you can see below G'Byte are saying the "UD7" also supports VT-x and VT-d.

My difficulty is that each response only mentions a singe (but different) board, so .... do both support VT-x and VT-d or are they both incorrect.

Advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

G'Byte's response:

<table class="Block_Main" width="100%" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td>Sent : </td><td>6/15/2010 15:16</td></tr><tr bgcolor="#edf3fd"><td valign="top">Question : </td><td>Please supply a list of LGA 1156 cpu supported motherboards (ie P55 chipset ones) that can enable BOTH VT-x AND VT-d virtualization. Thanks

Model Name : GA-P55A-UD7(rev. 1.0)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : ?
    Serial No. :
    Purchase Dealer :
    C/tick Number :
    VGA Brand : Model :
    CPU Brand : Model : Speed :
    Operation System : SP :
    Memory Brand : Type :
    Memory Size : Speed :
    Power Supply : W
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information