Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Q6600 + EP45-DS3 Overclocking

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Q6600 + EP45-DS3 Overclocking

Only the upper end models usually have all the features such as this, so on your next board find out if the BIOS has it before you buy or get a upper end model.

Since you bought silver ink, please do tape off the surrounding area, so you only get the ink where you need it. Silver ink will work, as long as it is really silver, not just colored.

You may be better of doing it with a pencil

If you are looking at new boards but keeping that CPU, check out PE45-UD3R or UD3P

Im very curious about this pencil mod. Anyone know where I can find pics/guide for the EP45-DS4 board? And is it really enough just using a pencil? I find that extremely exciting for some reason haha

Edit: Does this look right?
    Last edited by NWA; 06-18-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Yes this is it, in the last picture it is visible the path between the PIN 16 and pin 17, that resistor is part of.

This member did this.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...tml#post282919
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8382/p2110619ir5.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3983/ep45ds3pps5.jpg

It is important to note that pencil should be used, by using silver ink will be almost no resistance at all.
    i mean pencil at least only affects the resistor, not removing it entirely. Don't know what the ramifications of that are.

Ink or solder will remove the resstance as mentioned above, this may or may not be what you want.

Some people do that, others use pencil as you have more control and can remove it later if you want, it's up to you to decide but I also would use pencil if it were me.

Ive had a good think about it and also read an article on vdroop at Anandtech which explained why vdroop is necessary. My conclusion is that I wont be doing the mod.

Instead Ive opted to try something else.

Im currently at 3.5ghz (9 x 390) with an actual vcore of 1.48 idle and ~1.42 on load. Temperatures are acceptable, 56C on load in normal usage (but 74C with IBT). Any more FSB and I need to pump the vcore to above 1.5 idle which I dont think is worth it for only 100mhz improvement on the CPU.

The only thing I think I should sort out is the other voltages. Since I have been unable to find any real clear information about what these other voltages do and how they work together, I dont understand what I should be setting them to. I dont agree with the way a lot of people are overclocking and that is to do guess work. There is also no information on the limits of these voltages, for example the NB voltage, what is the upper limit on air cooling? Ive found no information on this, some say 1.3, others say I dont need to increase it, others have it at 1.6+. Some even say to reduce them from their defaults, no one really knows whats going on. So what Ive done is put everything on auto except vcore and ddr voltage. I have no idea what voltages it is using as there is no where in the bios to see vtt, PLL, etc. Would I be able to find these out with a voltage meter?

Everything seems to be ok, cpu temps are fine, system temps are fine and unchanged by putting them to auto, and its fully IBT stable.

I would have liked to push the chip more, I had a e5200 at 3.75ghz before this and thought perhaps I could achieve around 3.6ghz+ on a q6600 and utilise the increased cache it has. So far at 3.5ghz I think it has worked out well, and temps are actually better with this chip.

So overall Im pleased.
    Last edited by xiphrex; 06-20-2010 at 09:27 AM.

if you leave voltages on Auto, with the previous bios they will increase with >299>349>399, that is 3 times increase by 0.1, 0.15 or 0.05. With the latest bios you get different increase scheme at 15% and 30% ovreclock and at some point a very big bump occurs, say Vtt from 1.3 goes to 1.5V with 449 to 450 Mhz, =+1 Mhz change and 1.6V at 500FSb. That is with 333 Fsb CPU, but WIth 266 CPu you get a lot higher voltages, as with 200 FSB CPU levels would be totaly insane as you reach 400FSB, because that is one time more >249 threshold to pass.

You can find these with meter, or easier with Easytune6.

if left on Auto you may be looking at this. With 10d bios at 306 Mhz on auto you get 1.65 PLL, 1.2 MCH, next on 346 you get 1.75 and 1.3 VTT, and then perhaps at >349 VTT goes 1.5. my guess is that.

You should lower them PLL VTT and MCH to whatever doesnt restart, Bsod or freeze the system and then adding 0.05+ to it, do this With Easytune while Intelburntest is running at 2047MB 200 loops to run. or 204-500MB 2000 to run, wich will popup results every few seconds and faster to work with.

Just so you know Intelburntest Succes message also means failliure in case of only partial finish of the tests, say 10 out of 20.
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3...pboard01ha.png

In my case I couldn't go lower than 1.05, 1.00 on PLL VTT, as the software doesn't allow any lower than that.
    Last edited by yuu; 06-20-2010 at 01:38 PM.

If you are overclocking, then you should not worry about spec limits and such, as you are already voiding your warranty so to speak anyway.

So no need to worry about voltage limits or LLC concerns, your hardware will outlast your desire to keep it provided you keep temps under control anyway

Yeah I agree, Im not worried about going out of spec, but it would be nice to know them. For example, in easytune now it says my CPU PLL target is 1.75, according to another forum I found via google someone says 1.7-1.8 is fine if its necessary, but would be nice to know just how much out of spec 1.75 is, or whether that is still within spec etc.

The other voltages that were on auto seem to be quite good - vtt is at 1.3, mch core is 1.2 (less than what I required to boot into windows just a few posts ago) and everything else is at default values.

Im concerned though as I thought CPU reference was meant to be 2/3 vtt but it is at the default 0.76 (maybe should be 0.871?). Same with the other reference voltages.

Anyway Ive had the pc on now for just under 24 hours and have played games, ran IBT couple more times, ran vantage benchmarks, etc and no hiccups so far.

In easytune "Target" or the right side is what you (or auto) set in the BIOS and is the actual applied amount, power on can be ignored as it is often what the target value one when you installed easytune or some previously used amount.

Target is actual "in use" values, for Q6600 PLL should be kept under 1.6, so your mention of 1.75 leads me to believe you are using Auto PLL correct? Please set this manually when overclocking otherwise it can be way overvolted, same applies with Vcore and Vtt.

CPU Ref and MCH ref please see my signature for a guide explaining default values and how these appear in the BIOS/easytune/

Well I took your advice that 1.75v CPU PLL is too high and actually I think it makes sense to try reduce that.

So I tried today CPU PLL 1.5 which is default and with vtt 1.3 and mch core 1.22 and its still fully stable with the same vcore as before.

Ive turned down my memory voltage from 2.1 to 2.0 and it was still memtest stable.

With regards to static tRead I remember reading an article that explained the best values at each fsb but I cant seem to remember where that article was! Its currently set to 7 but in bios it shows that it is at 8. I tried 6 and it wouldnt boot so I either need more MCH voltage or its too low for the FSB im at.

Also, I have 2x1gb GEIL memory just 4-4-4 2.1v just lying around, I was thinking to put that in and have 6gb in total, but my current memory is OCZ reaper 2x2gb. Would I be able to mix memory like this or would it just lead to too many problems? I dont necessarily need more memory, but it would be nice to put 2gb in and then use that as a ram drive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information