Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: do i need to install the gigabyte drivers for ga-ma785gm-us2h

Default Re: do i need to install the gigabyte drivers for ga-ma785gm-us2h

Quote Originally Posted by rezcar View Post
    stravy, To answer your questions, 1. Had latest version but found it unstable, not sure if it is the BIOS' fault 2. Last I checked, did have the latest drivers. 3. Memtest gave errors right from the start. Never tried it from a "cold" start, after the PC has been sitting OFF a while. 4. Thanks! 5. Not sure. 6. Win XP Pro SP3. Mid ATX case, SATA DVD-ROM, 300GB SATA HDD main, 1TB SATA HDD additional. External USB hub for wireless keyboard and a Hauppage PVR capture box. Audio and Video over HDMI to receiver. No additional sound or video cards. This PC is, GA-MA785GM-US2H Bios ver 7 (had 11 for a while then started to work backwards hoping for stability) Crucial 4GB BL25664AA80A16FE5 5-5-5-12 2.0V (just did this today) AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor 2.81GHz not overclocked
    rezcar, you might want to contact crucial to verify your timings. I cant find a match for your part number b/c the last 3 characters (FE5) do not match anything. I was using the timings of 4-4-4-12 and tried all other combinations but could not get a stable system.

If memtest is giving you errors then you must first try to resolve those errors. No driver update is going to help with that but a bios update might. I know you said your were having problems with the newer bios but I would probably go back to F11. There is a F12A which is a beta bios. It has been out for a few months and hasn't gone final yet which is kinda weird so I would be warry of that bios.

I would start off by just building a barebones system and follow the recommendations in the link I provided a few posts back. Check system stability then start adding components. You will also have to start off with a fresh build of WinXP. If you were having memory problems during installation then there might also be some problems with the OS.

However, I am affraid all of this is going to be moot. I am usually a very optimistic person but given all the troubleshooting I went through I could not get this system to run stable. I followed all the guides and recomendations from many forums. I would run "burn-in" software to test system stability. Everything would be great then I would wake up in the morning and I would have a BSOD and tons of memory errors. Sometimes it would take a few days to get my first BSOD or even a couple of months. The funny thing is I could play Dragon Age: Origins and stress the system and would not have a problem. All of my BSOD's happened when I was doing something simple like surfing the net or when the computer was idle during the middle of the night.

I know that does not solve your problem but I would recommend saving yourself a lot of time and frustration and purchase new ram or a new MB. If it is infact a voltage\heat issue then purchase DDR2 ram that runs at 1.8volts. Or get a replacement Ballistix kit and install RAM fans.
    Last edited by stravy; 12-06-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: needed to add something
    Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
    AMD Athlon II x4 630
    Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H, rev 1.1, F11
    Crucial Ballistix 4GB Kit (2x2) DDR2 800 BL2KIT25664AA80A
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL-1GI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-Bit DDR3
    Seagate 320GB 7200RPM 16MB cache
    WD Caviar 250GB 7200RPM 8MB cache
    LG DVD Burner
    Corsair 650 Watt PSU
    Coolermaster Midtower Case

I put a new video card in my box and the ati driver wrote over the onboard video driver! I want to run both my ati card and onboard video card so I can have 4 monitors running off my computer. what's the best way to install the onboard driver so they don't write over the video card drivers?

Are you wanting surround view? Look in your bios setup. Look under Advanced BIOS setup. Check to be sure you have the correct settings there for what you want to do. Before you install the card. Also be sure you have the correct card.

ATI Hybrid Graphics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Code:
    Advanced BIOS Features
    Internal Graphics Mode j [UMA+SidePort]
    Internal Graphics Mode kl [UMA]
    UMA Frame Buffer Size [Auto]
    x Surround View Disabled   Enable
    Onboard VGA output connect [Auto]
    AMD C1E Support (Note) [Software SMI]
    Virtualization [Disabled]
    Patch AMD TLB Erratum (Note) [Enabled]
    AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control [Auto]
    } Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter]
    First Boot Device [Floppy]
    Second Boot Device [Hard Disk]
    Third Boot Device [CDROM]
    Password Check [Setup]
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability [Disabled]
    Away Mode [Disabled]
    Backup BIOS Image to HDD [Disabled]
    Init Display First [PCI Slot]
    Internal Graphics Modej
    Allows you to determine whether to allocate the system memory for the onboard graphics controller.
    UMA Allocates memory for the onboard graphics controller from the system memory.
    SidePort Allocates memory for the onboard graphics controller from the SidePort memory.
    UMA+SidePort Allocates memory for the onboard graphics controller from the system memory and SidePort memory. (Default)
    Disabled Disables the onboard graphics controller. Internal Graphics Mode
    Allows you to determine whether to allocate system memory for the onboard graphics controller.
    Disabled Disables the onboard graphics controller.
    UMA Allocates memory for the onboard graphics controller from the system memory. (Default) UMA Frame Buffer Size
    Frame buffer size is the total amount of system memory allocated solely for the onboard graphics controller. MS-DOS, for example, will use only this memory for display. Options are: Auto (default), 128MB, 256MB, 512MB. Surround View
    Enables or disables the Surround View function. This option is configurable only if an ATI graphics card is installed. (Default: Disabled)
    (1) Only for GA-MA785GPM-UD2H.
    (2) Only for GA-MA785GM-UD2H.
    (3) Only for GA-MA785GM-US2H.
    (Note) This item appears only if you install a CPU that supports this feature.
    Onboard VGA output connect
    Specifies the graphics display of the onboard VGA output from the D-SUB/DVI-D or D-SUB/HDMI.
    Auto Lets the BIOS automatically determines the primary display port for output, depending on to which port the display device is connected, D-SUB/DVI-D or D-SUB/HDMI. (Default)
    D-SUB/DVI Sets the D-SUB/DVI-D as the graphics display.
    D-SUB/HDMI Sets the D-SUB/HDMI as the graphics display. AMD C1E Support (Note)
    Enables or disables the C1E CPU power-saving function in system halt state. When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption. (Default: Disabled) Virtualization
    Virtualization allows a platform to run multiple operating systems and applications in independent partitions. With virtualization, one computer system can function as multiple virtual systems.
    (Default: Disabled) Patch AMD TLB Erratum (Note)
    Enables or disables the Patch AMD TLB Erratum function. (Default: Enabled) AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control
    Auto Lets the AMD Cool'n'Quiet driver dynamically adjust the CPU clock and VID to reduce heat output from your computer and its power consumption. (Default)
    Disabled Disables this function. Hard Disk Boot Priority
    Specifies the sequence of loading the operating system from the installed hard drives. Use the up or down arrow key to select a hard drive, then press the plus key <+> (or <PageUp>) or the minus key <-> (or <PageDown>) to move it up or down on the list. Press <Esc> to exit this menu when finished. First/Second/Third Boot Device
    Specifies the boot order from the available devices. Use the up or down arrow key to select a device and press <Enter> to accept. Options are: Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, Legacy LAN, Disabled. Password Check
    Specifies whether a password is required every time the system boots, or only when you enter BIOS Setup. After configuring this item, set the password(s) under the Set Supervisor/User Password item in the BIOS Main Menu.
    Setup A password is only required for entering the BIOS Setup program. (Default)
    System A password is required for booting the system and for entering the BIOS Setup program. HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
    Enables or disables the S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology) capability of your hard drive. This feature allows your system to report read/write errors of the hard drive and to issue warnings when a third party hardware monitor utility is installed. (Default: Enabled)
    (Note)BIOS Setup
    Onboard VGA output connect
    Specifies the graphics display of the onboard VGA output from the D-SUB/DVI-D or D-SUB/HDMI.
    Auto Lets the BIOS automatically determines the primary display port for output, depending on to which port the display device is connected, D-SUB/DVI-D or D-SUB/HDMI. (Default)
    D-SUB/DVI Sets the D-SUB/DVI-D as the graphics display.
    D-SUB/HDMI Sets the D-SUB/HDMI as the graphics display. AMD C1E Support (Note)
    Enables or disables the C1E CPU power-saving function in system halt state. When enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption. (Default: Disabled) Virtualization
    Virtualization allows a platform to run multiple operating systems and applications in independent partitions. With virtualization, one computer system can function as multiple virtual systems.
    (Default: Disabled) Patch AMD TLB Erratum (Note)
    Enables or disables the Patch AMD TLB Erratum function. (Default: Enabled) AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control
    Auto Lets the AMD Cool'n'Quiet driver dynamically adjust the CPU clock and VID to reduce heat output from your computer and its power consumption. (Default)
    Disabled Disables this function. Hard Disk Boot Priority
    Specifies the sequence of loading the operating system from the installed hard drives. Use the up or down arrow key to select a hard drive, then press the plus key <+> (or <PageUp>) or the minus key <-> (or <PageDown>) to move it up or down on the list. Press <Esc> to exit this menu when finished. First/Second/Third Boot Device
    Specifies the boot order from the available devices. Use the up or down arrow key to select a device and press <Enter> to accept. Options are: Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, Legacy LAN, Disabled. Password Check
    Specifies whether a password is required every time the system boots, or only when you enter BIOS Setup. After configuring this item, set the password(s) under the Set Supervisor/User Password item in the BIOS Main Menu.
    Setup A password is only required for entering the BIOS Setup program. (Default)
    System A password is required for booting the system and for entering the BIOS Setup program. HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
    Enables or disables the S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology) capability of your hard drive. This feature allows your system to report read/write errors of the hard drive and to issue warnings when a third party hardware monitor utility is installed. (Default: Enabled)
    (Note) This item appears only if you install a CPU that supports this feature.
    Away Mode
    Enables or disables Away Mode in Windows XP Media Center operating system. Away Mode allows the system to silently perform unattended tasks while in a low-power mode that appears off.
    (Default: Disabled) Backup BIOS Image to HDD
    Allows the system to copy the BIOS image file to the hard drive. If the system BIOS is corrupted, it will be recovered from this image file. (Default: Disabled) Init Display First
    Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI graphics card, PCI Express graphics card, or the onboard VGA.
    PCI Slot Sets the PCI graphics card as the first display.(Default)
    OnChipVGA Sets the onboard VGA as the first display.
    PEG Sets the PCI Express graphics card as the first display.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

You have some different options than I do, My Bios reads
    internal graphics mode UMA
    um buffer auto
    surroundview disabled
    onboard vga d-sub-dvi
    init display peg
    virtualization disable

so You think I need to enable surround view?
    1 other thought I had is when I went from a 3400 ati card to a 4550 card would that have messed up the using of the onboard and the pci-e carss the would have 2 different drevers instead of the one? Hey Thanks for the help

I don't know If it were me I would uninstall the new drivers. This can be done easily by using the restore feature to a time before the new card was installed. When asked to reboot say no shut down. Then remove the card, connect a monitor to the onboard vga and see if the onboard graphics are displayed correctly. Then go into bios and enable surround view in bios. Shut down. Install the new card again. hook up all 4 monitors to the vga and or dvi. Then start it and allow windows to load the drivers from online. See if that helps. Just a suggestion to try. I believe that it works with DVI and HDMI on that system as well.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan