Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new build won't post

Default Re: new build won't post

have you tried with 1.3v for dram and 1.2v for qpi? you just might need more qpi/vtt voltage anything from 1.1-1.2v is safe to use
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with your suggested manual ram settings wazza the system now seems to be working fine on 1.3v even with qpi at 1.1v (tried first with 1.2v, after success i lowered it to 1.1v). with this setting mit reports back the voltage to be 1.344v. tried several reboots with these settings and the cpu fan didn't stop once. i then ran memtest+ for roughly a half hour completing about 1.5 passes and no errors were encountered :) the only time that the cpu fan still stops now is immediately after turning the computer on. i press the on button, fan spins very briefly, stops for 2 seconds, then teh system wakes up & starts working as one would expect. i never noticed such a behaviour on my more recent amd or older intel builds, but if this is normal for 1156 platforms, i guess this issue is resolved at least for the time being (hopefully i won't get into more/other trouble while actually installing an os).

one more thing... here are the cpu temps by core as reported by the bios:
    0: 32c
    1: 27c
    2: 33c
    3: 28c
    i know even the highest one is nicely low, but is the 6 difference between highest-lowest indicative of anything i should take care of?
    the passive chipset cooler is hot enough to the touch that it's hard to rest the finger on it for more than a few seconds (bios says pch temp is 46c, i'd guess more by the touch, but i'm no thermometer ;)) - also normal? keep in mind the mobo is still running open air out of a case, as i like to test everything out before committing it to a case and making it less accessible for possible tweaks.

temps seem fine to me,pcb temp could be the northbridge temp which are usually hot anyway,even on my board,you could try with cpu voltage set to normal in the voltage list and see if you can lower temps a bit more,its normal to get a few degrees difference from first and last core
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

oh ffs here we go again... i tried running the latest ubuntu64 from a usb key and the monitor just went to sleep in the middle of ubuntu booting (specifically on the screen with the 5 white dots showing progress by turning red). i had to do a hard reset (ctrl-alt-del did nothing) and the cpu fan shut down for a few seconds again. didn't get any oc warning right away, but on a hunch i entered the bios anyway and what do you know, when i went into mit here comes the oc/voltage warning. reloaded optimized defaults again, then set things manually as before and bumped up the dram voltage to 1.400 just in case. everything seemed fine on reboot, but monitor went to sleep on ubuntu boot at the same spot. another hard boot, another oc warning in mit/bios, another optimized defaults/manual setting cycle. i decided to check whether a hard reset makes the fan stop every time, or if it's happening because of the system freeze while trying to run ubuntu. so i didn't ran ubuntu, did a hard reset and now i got an oc warning immediately, even without entering bios. and now even with the exact same settings that worked flawlessly before, i get the oc warning & cpu fan stopping on every boot. this is getting frustrating.

clear cmos a few times,when you get a freeze like that and you restart and get the oc warning msg its normal,just look at the bios it will still display your oc settings but you have to press f10 to save them again and exit then reboot and it will boot up with the altered/original oc settings/ voltages
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

i left the computer turned off until now, loaded optimized defaults, haven't changed anything and tried running ubuntu from the usb key like this - the exact same freeze happened, so the reason for it shouldn't be dram settings. downloading ubuntu 32bit now to see if it makes a difference. i then entered the previously working manual settings and now it seems to work fine, without any oc warnings or fan stopping.

i don't get it how only certain times a reboot changes some conditions so that problems (re)appear. first everything runs fine at some bios settings, several reboots after everything's still ok, but then after a reboot i get the oc warning and i can't enter the exact same settings without getting the oc warning and fan stopping on all further reboots. i disconnect the computer from the mains for a while and then the same settings magically don't give me trouble anymore (for a while apparently). it's not like i'm pushing some crazy oc, i'm just trying to run the components at spec value they're declared for. it also shouldn't be a temperature problem as they reach their peak soon after turning the computer on and then remain stable.

edit: just tried ubuntu32... monitor just goes to sleep at the exact same spot as with ubuntu64. i will connect a dvdrw next and try booting win pe. are there any comprehensive diagnostic apps i can run to exclude hardware faults? memtest+ ran for cumulatively 3 passes and returned no errors, so i assume ram is fine. is there something to thoroughly check out the cpu & mobo?
    Last edited by tweekTek; 06-18-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added info

things will improve with newer bios's,you always have problems like that with new boards
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

hehe here's hoping to that, but one would think getting to f7 is enough updates to clean up the mess. i assume you're blaming the mobo for my problems - i'm still in time to return it and get something else ;)

i had no issues now running win pe from a cd @ dram 1600mhz/1.344v, except that it's not multicore aware. while there, i took a few cpuz and hwinfo screenshots if someone cares to check if something's off in them: h55build - Imgur

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would setup a windows install and see if your issues persist, it could just be and sounds like it might be ubuntu/linux issues?

Just thinking out loud I suppose, worth a try though to check I would say.

yeah that monitor going to sleep while booting was almost definitely an ubuntu issue, as i managed to successfully run a different live distribution. i then installed my old xp sp3 and ran a few tests there... 10 passes of intelburntest (5 on standard, 5 on high) + twice occt for an hour and both tests reported no errors, so i think i can safely conclude that the build is stable.
    however i'm not familiar with how should the various voltages behave under stress as i've never payed that much attention to it, so could you please have a look at the occt screens and check if everything's normal (temp graphs for all cores were similar, so i posted just the hottest one):

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information