Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Fine on Bench, Not in Case

Default GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Fine on Bench, Not in Case

This one is really stumping me. Second build, here are the specs, problem below:

SPECS:
    NZXT Hades Case
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
    Antec TruePower 750W
    Intel i7 930 [with stock cooler]
    HIS Radeon HD 5850 Turbo
    G-Skill PI Series 6GB [3 x 2GB]
    LiteOn DVD Writer
    2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    1x Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB

PROBLEM AND ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:
    First thing I did when everything arrived was bench test all the core components. Motherboard posted fine with and without RAM in, got display from the video card after the CPU was installed, etc. Note that the CLR CMOS light is solid here.

So, I think that everything is just dandy and I go ahead and install everything in the case. I go to power the thing on for the first time and nothing happens. I try taking out the cables to attach the power button and doing it manually and still nothing happens. I notice that the CLR CMOS light is now blinking, so I try holding the button in, to no effect. I try taking the CMOS battery out for 10 minutes and popping it back in, no dice. I try a different power supply just for fun [even though the PSU gave the motherboard, CPU, RAM and video card power fine on the bench--I also know that the case is getting power because I was able to get the case fans to spin for half a second when they first receive power by reseating the 24pin mobo power cable], and nothing. I try every combination of RAM, doesn't make a difference. The only thing I could think of that I didn't try was moving my video card from the second PCI-E slot to the first. I couldn't do it while it was all still in the case because the wiring was a little messy. Frustrated, I resolve to take it all apart again and bench test again to see if I screwed something up while I built.

Bench test #2 [took everything but the PSU out of the case--this rules out the possibility of the PSU being in the case being the source of the problem]: mobo posts fine with just CPU, fine with each individual stick of RAM, fine with all 3 sticks of RAM, not fine with graphics card in second PCI-E slot. 'Woohoo!' I think, figuring I found the source of the issue when it DOES post after moving it to the first PCI-E slot. So, I go about reassembling and when it's all said and done, I get the exact same behavior.

So, all my components work, but not when they are in my case. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Fine on Bench, Not in Case

you have a short somwhere inside the case,makesure you use all the brass stand offs underneath the mb,makesure that your cpu cooler backplate isnt touching the case,you can even stick some electrical tape on the metal square on the cpu bracket on the underside of the mb
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks wazza, I'll rip it all out [gently, of course] again and install everything fresh, hopefully it'll fare better this time.

Solved! It was shorting out. Thanks again, wazza. I took everything out and put it all back again, no problems this time, did the screws on the mobo a little looser, not sure if that's what did it, though.

I am currently installing Windows 7 on it, so that's good, but I'm now having a different problem: it won't power on [same activity as before] when I plug the front USB cable into any of the motherboard's three f_usb slots. I just left it unplugged so I could get the thing up and running in the meantime, since that functionality, though annoying not to have, is by no means necessary. Is it possible that the other end of the front USB cable has some exposed wire and is shorting it out up there. It's a pain to get to those plugs and I can't really see what I'm doing in there, so I might just live with it as is, unless someone has any insight...

makesure you plug the usb connector into the right socket on the mb,did you plug in a usb device before you installed the os? if so you might need to update the intel inf chipset drivers from gigabytes website first,also look in the bios and enable usb 1 usb 2,and usb legacy devices if your using usb storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you found the short and fixed it!

As for yous USB, be sure you are plugging it into the USB ports and not the firewire ports, they should have a cover on them so you don't unless you removed them.

I am currently installing a new cooler in this same machine and decided to hell with flashlights, I'm going to take the top of the case off and really see what is going on with this front USB. I am positive that I had plugged it into the correct spot on the motherboard previously after checking over the manuals several times just to be sure.

When I got the top of the case off, I removed the end of the F_USB cable that is attached to the actual ports. Upon inspection, I noticed that a tiny section just before the header of the ground [black] wire looked a little twisted and crimped and seemed to twist around a little easier than the others [I also did a manual--i.e. not that accurate--test of the other end of cable]. I'm no expert, so I came here. Is it possible that the wire inside is severed and this is the cause of my computer not turning on when I have this cable plugged into the motherboard? If so, is there anything I can do about it, short of RMA-ing the case?

Besides that little thing in the wire, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary. I tried to get a picture of it, but they all came out blurry. If you don't think that's the cause of my problem, do you have any other ideas/things I might try? Thanks in advance!

it will be hard to repair as you will need to strip the end of the black wire and re-insert it into the usb plug and tape it up to stop it coming loose,you could try and rma the case or just leave it unplugged and use an external usb hub
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Thanks again wazza. I'll probably just get a card reader for one of my extra 5.25" slots. Not quite the same, but better than taking my whole computer apart and waiting for a new case to arrive just to do it all over again.

yeah thats the best way,it will plug into the mb usb slot,just keep the case/front panel usb plug unplugged,you usually get usb ports in fan controllers too or go for a card reader with some usb ports built in
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information