Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: $5,000 Gigabyte i7 980x PC: Configuring BIOS and Overclocking CPU / RAM

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: $5,000 Gigabyte i7 980x PC: Configuring BIOS and Overclocking CPU / RAM

Don't be so scared, you will be fine as long as you go slow and connect everything :)

Default Re: $5,000 Gigabyte i7 980x PC: Configuring BIOS and Overclocking CPU / RAM

Yeah the only thing I am paranoid about is these hard drive cages are the worst, they jar and scratch getting them in and out of the case. I hope my hard drives are ok... Only one way to tell, but even if they work I can't help but think there is long term damage done or they will fail sooner.

Then I think of the UPS delivery guy and how many times he dropped the box with the hard drives in them...they usually work fine.

Ahhh I am just O.C.D Lol :P

Anyways I am using this new thermal pad (not paste) called Indigo Extreme, it tops all the charts for thermal compound of 2010. However, I need to be able to boot into Windows 7 and bench all my cores to "reflow" which means I am turning off my fans to my heatsink and letting the CPU get to 100C which is dangerous but...that's what you gotta do for this stuff to work.

So stay tuned, been real busy with film sets and work. So I will do this asap.

I know what you mean! They will be fine though, hard drives are actually fairly tough

UPS Dropped a box? You mean threw it right? LOL

I know about Indigo paste, you do not need to let your CPU reach 100C, and I strongly advise you do not!

You can let it reach 50-70C I think and that will reflow it

Hey Guys,

Alright it's been awhile. Mainly due to work I have been busy with. Also some add on accessories I had to buy for my lian Li.

The 1500W Silverstone power supply is extended, meaning you need a extended power supply bracket.

I needed to buy an additonal hard drive cage, along with extenders and adapters.

Got the wrong fan controller, so I sent it back for an exchange. Then I had to RMA a sound card because it was DOA.

So stay tuned, I should get this build going by today or tomorrow.

Doing some more modding, ugh. Fan controller with the knobs inteferred with the door on the lian li so I am going to be dremeling tonight.

I promise I will have this up soon with pics.

Alright, I got into the BIOS and running memtest overnight on my 12GB of G.Skill Ram, then in the morning I will flash my bios and flash firmware for my SSD. All I got to say is 4TB scratch disk raid 5 ftw...LOL

I will upload picks of my rig on the table tommorow, so far so smooth... Actually I forgot, my windows 7 license on my oem copy is not working! Hope it wasnt stolen.

But no hardware issues as of yet!

Woot no errors in memtest after 10 passes, going to flash bios then firmware. After that I will set up my SSD for real, then I have to mount my noctua heatsink and reflow the indigo extreme thermal pad.

In the BIOS do I choose AHCI mode or IDE mode for my hard drives? Also what CPU burning software is the best for running all cores at 100% thanks!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information