Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memory running at 1066mHz in X58A-UD3R

Default Memory running at 1066mHz in X58A-UD3R

Greetings,

I just built a new system and my memory is running at 1066mHz. I know this is a problem with Gigabyte boards, and I've read the sticky on memory timings....but, this is my second build. I picked the parts with the intention of doing a middling overclock but this is my first trip into the depths of the BIOS and most of the lingo here is over my head. I'm also a little worried about cooking my brand new parts:-0

Would someone be willing to do a little hand holding here? Or, a web link for beginners would be great. I'm more than willing to do some reading, in fact I would like this to be step 1 on 'learning how to overclock'.

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R with F5, Rev 1.0
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline DDR3 1333, 7-7-7-20, 1.5-1.6v
    Win 7 64bit25

Thanks

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Memory running at 1066mHz in X58A-UD3R

This is not a problem, this is normal for all boards by JEDEC Standards. Over 1066-1333Mhz you need to set the memory yourself manually.

I can help you out! Please give me your current full BIOS settings in a template from my signature, and tell me what you would like to run and I will advise back.

If you are planning to overclock the CPU at all please also let me know what cooler you are using.

As for guides, sorry there isn't one for Gigabyte X58 that I have seen yet but if you google X58 overclock guide I am sure you will find a few with some similar terms to help you get a little bit of knowledge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    This is not a problem, this is normal for all boards by JEDEC Standards. Over 1066-1333Mhz you need to set the memory yourself manually.

I can help you out! Please give me your current full BIOS settings in a template from my signature, and tell me what you would like to run and I will advise back.

If you are planning to overclock the CPU at all please also let me know what cooler you are using.

As for guides, sorry there isn't one for Gigabyte X58 that I have seen yet but if you google X58 overclock guide I am sure you will find a few with some similar terms to help you get a little bit of knowledge though.
    The settings from your template are attached as a .txt document.

My time zone is ahead of you so I tinkered with EasyTune 6 mostly to check the cooling in my set up. The current settings in the uploaded txt file are from profile 3 in ET6. I ran Prime95 until temps settled down, usually 20-40 min. Using Speedfan I had the following temps:
    Temp 1: 44
    Temp 2: 58
    Temp 3: 60
    Core 0-4: 57-61
    Cooler is a CoolIT ECO

My goal is for a very stable overclock. This is my main workstation in my home office. Lots of apps running simultaneously, some video encoding, maybe gaming when I get caught up on work:-)

TIA

Attachment 2695

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, please do not use easytune to overclock. Since you are, be sure you now set it back to default and set it so it is not applying anything at startup.

Try these settings for 160 Bclk

920 CPU Right?

Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]<--21x
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled] << Disabled and set 21 above, or set 20 above and enable this
    CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
    CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]<--Enabled << Disabled
    C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]<--Enabled << Disabled
    Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]<---? Not in BIOS ? << Different page now

Uncore & QPI Features:
    QPI Link Speed .............................. x36<--Auto (5.76GHz) << Set x36
    Uncore Frequency .......................... (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)<--Auto (3200MHz) << Set manually to 16-18
    Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... <----160
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100] <----Auto << Set 100

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
    CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
    Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]<----Turbo << Extreme may be best
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO] << Set x8 = 1280Mhz
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual]<----Auto << Manual/expert then set each channel main timings and cmd rate one by one

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ...................... 7
    tRCD ....................................... 7
    tRP ......................................... 7
    tRAS ....................................... 20
    Command Rate (CMD)........................... 1

Note: Channel C matched the settings listed above for Channel A, but the settings for B were 8,8,8,20,1 all in (Auto)

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine.

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ........................................ (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
    tRRD .......................................
    tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
    tWR ........................................
    tWTP ....................................... (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
    tWL ........................................ (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
    tRFC .......................................
    tRTP .......................................
    tFAW ......................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    Round Trip Latency ...................

B2B CAS Delay ..........................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]<---Standard << Enabled Level 1
    CPU Vcore ............................... 1.3v (auto) << Set manually, you will need more than you see currently in CPU-z under load, since you are failing stress tests. Set a higher value and then check in windows to see what the new amount is under load, then if more is still needed to raise the load amount adjust accordingly with easytune (Use apply, not save) until you get it stable. Once you do then go back into the BIOS and set that amount
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.175 (Auto) << Set 1.2-1.3
    CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... ??? not in BIOS? << This should for sure be there, you sure?

MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... All settings match those on the left (Auto) << Auto/left can be ignored, these are not always current/used values so don't base anything from what they show
    QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... "
    IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.0-1.14
    ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... "
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................ "

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.55-1.62
    DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Lsd,

All settings are per your post. CPU is 930 just in case that changes any numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]<---Standard << Enabled Level 1
    CPU Vcore ............................... 1.3v (auto) << Set manually, you will need more than you see currently in CPU-z under load, since you are failing stress tests. Set a higher value and then check in windows to see what the new amount is under load, then if more is still needed to raise the load amount adjust accordingly with easytune (Use apply, not save) until you get it stable. Once you do then go back into the BIOS and set that amount
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.175 (Auto) << Set 1.2-1.3
    CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... ??? not in BIOS? << This should for sure be there, you sure?
    I'm not sure what you mean by failing stress tests. If I set a higher Vcore, what is the "higher amount under load" that I am looking for, how much is too little/too much?

Does "stable" mean no errors in Prime 95 (using Blend), or not crashing?

Lots of choices in the BIOS for QPI/VTT, do I start with 1.25?

I did find CPU DLL, should I leave that one on 1.8?

Do you know what Temps 1 through 3 represent in Speedfan 4.4?

Right now I have the following settings and the hottest core is ~57C
    CPU PLL: 1.8
    Vtt:1.215
    Vcore: 1.33125

yes you need to stress with prime95 blend test will do,57c at 100% load? if so thats fine,voltages at the moment look fine but as long as its stable,notsure about speedfan,usually mb/northbridge/cpu notsure though or in which order
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the numbers above were after running Prime 95 until the temps stabilized. Would you tweek from here?

What would you recommend for temp monitoring? I was using speed fan so I could monitor the fans in my case, as well as watch the CPU temps.

How about turning Turbo back on? That seems like a useful feature for a general use computer.

Thanks for your help.....

yes try with turbo enabled and if stable in prime95 then i would tweak cpu voltage and try lowering if possible,aim for 1.20000v,for all your temps,fan speeds use everest, here

http://www.lavalys.com/sites/default...va5wsj2nrx.zip
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, just to make sure I'm doing this right....I turn on Turbo, and then make small reductions in the CPU voltage, nothing else, run Prime95 for a bit to see if its stable. When I get errors in Prime then I go back a step or two? If I get all the way to 1.2000v then call it a day? And I do all this in EasyTune until I get my final voltage, at which point I make the changes in the BIOS?

How about CPU PLL? I see from your signature that yours is in Auto. I think you also had Eist and/or C1E enabled....comments?

Thx for the PM Wazza ;-). Most excellent......

what is the recommanded setting "QPI Link Speed " for i920 i975 and how calculating this setting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information