Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarckdale oddness?

Question Clarckdale oddness?

Recently I got an i5 655K I put on my GA-P55 UD4, it's working alright but there is some odd stuff too. I'm on bios F8 (did try F9d too)

In bios the qpi multi is doubled, ie. MIT displaying 48x ratio, and setting a ratio results in:
    set - result
    48x - 24x
    44x - 22x
    40x - 20x
    etc.
    24x - 12x
    anything below 24x - no boot

turbo boost it should do 1C-26x, 2C-25x, but 1C-26x is not working, always at 25x.

the mem controller on clark's is different from 45nm's, it has different timings and registers, tools like cpu-tweaker do show this and yet bios memory settings page remains the same. some timings from bios don't seem to do anything, like commandrate always at 1, no matter what I set in bios?

is this normal behaviour? is it the unlocked cpu? is it the different mem controller?

seems to be a bit odd to me...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Clarckdale oddness?

This is normal, Gigabyte users double QPI multi's compared to other boards

Or did you know this, and are trying to say this is a new bug with a board you have been using and know about already? Sorry not sure if you are seeing a new issue, or just coming to these boards.

And yes, some bugs may be due to the new CPU as it may not be fully compatible yet with the current BIOSes.

Thanks for the answer, I did not know, it's my first gigabyte board for a long time, and my first clark too...

The 655 did behave odd on an other board too, that's why I tried this one. Just wait for bioses to mature I guess.

Other than that it seems to be running fine, at least I can up the multi. haha not that I really need to after putting it on 200bclk I'm kind of bound to lower the multi on air, but it does work...

Ahh, so how did you know the QPI multi's looked odd, just due to the other board you used?

Ya, it's normal for Gigabyte, other boards use 18/22/24 and Gigabyte uses 36/44/48 for the same thing. Why I don't know?

You can for sure overclock with that board, so if you are getting a better cooler or water you will be able to go higher if you want.

I got mugen2 rev.b on it and this is what I'm at oc-wise:

*clickable*

21x 200bclk, 1.328vCore/1.23vTT, ram 800mhz c9, 1.6v, not too shabby for a start.

edit:
    On the QPI , the other board only allowed 2 settings, 4.2 and 4.8GT and the multi would not go over 24... well in bios it would but irl it did not work...
    turbo on the other hand did work slightly more like expected.
    Last edited by Darkje; 07-01-2010 at 07:03 PM. Reason: forgot to comment on qpi on other board

That's a decent overclock for air, not much to complain about there :)

I have not used 1156 socket, so not sure, but I think you should have 3 QPI multi's now on your Gigabyte right? 36/44/48 (may not be correct multi's for 1156, but that is what X58 uses anyway)

I have qpi multi's all the way from 12-24 on the even numbers, 24-48 in bios. Leaving it on auto it sets 48x all the way up to 190bclk, only ay 200bclk it would drop to 44x, I did try some at 36x, hoping running uncore and qpi at the same freq would boost mem read... ;) but it's still low nevermind what I try... must be the way the chip and icm work together...

Ahh, well that is nice to see!

Your memory issues could be timings, are you setting them yourself? How about any of the advanced ones? The real issue is you can raise your uncore, if you could that would be great for memory speeds

At first I left everything at auto, giving me 10-9-9-20-100, but then I set the main 3 to 9-9-9 by hand and using mit and cputweaker/everest to try to determine what auto actually did.

it gave me the 9-9-9-24-98 from the screen. solidified those and tried to find the other settings, that's when I noticed some of the odd stuff. like when I change certain settings in bios nothing seems to have happened when I'm looking at cpu-tweaker or everest's chipset page.

The uncore is locked at 18x Bclk so its running at 3600Mhz, it should be enough for a descent score, but latency is killing it... roughly 12k read/14k write and lat. 65ns guess the offdie imc is the cause of this...

But I'm still playing with it, so maybe I can tighten it a bit more.

Today bios F9 was released, so I'm checking that out first. It seems to have fixed the turbo issue I mentioned in the op, so I'm quite happy there...

Well glad to hear the new BIOS is helping!

What settings are you talking about that you set, but do not see a change with in windows? Some have to be set together, so if set wrong they may fail to boot or be ignored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information