Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unable to boot from usb stick

Default Unable to boot from usb stick

I have an iso on a usb stick that boots fine in my netbook, but not on my desktop system which is a GA-K8NS MB with Award Modular Bios V 6.00 PG. Am running Mandriva 2010.0. I've tried setting bios as USB-FDD and USB-HDD and USB-CDROM. Not even sure which is correct, but none of them work. I have never been able to boot any usb stick, iso or otherwise. Any ideas?

As far as I know I don't have any AHCI option in the bios.
    Last edited by RVDowning; 07-09-2010 at 04:01 AM.

Default Re: Unable to boot from usb stick

That sounds like the boot menu. Go into the BIOS and select it in there to boot first off the flash drive. Then do exactly the same with the boot menu. Hope this helps.

I'll check it when I get home, but I don't remember seeing anything related to flash. (Of course, maybe that is my problem.) I just saw the boot order offering.

I just checked the GA-K8NS bios manual online and the only mention of the word "flash" relates to flashing the bios.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Enable all the Legacy USB Settings in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page, then leave your USB Stick installed and reboot.

On reboot hit F12 to get to the boot menu, then choose Hard Drive + and on the next screen choose your USB Stick, if it is not listed then it is not going to be possible for you to boot via USB

I have finally been able to boot from usb, but the F12 key does nothing. I have to go into the bios (by pressing delete) and push the usb stick to first place in the boot order by hitting the plus key, and then selecting usb-hdd as the first boot device.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you got it anyway!

F12 should work at bootup unless your key is broke or something, it should give you a black screen with boot menu choices

Thread Information