Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Bios freezes after selecting MB Intelligent Tweaker menu

Default Bios freezes after selecting MB Intelligent Tweaker menu

After some searching I'm having trouble finding someone with a problem that seems to match mine. I've just built a new rig and I can enter BIOS fine and select any menu and change and save values without problems except when I select the MB Intelligent Tweaker menu it loads up the screen and there's a long pause after which it populate info on the main tweaker page.

Once there, pressing anything causes the machine to hang. Pressing enter to view M.I.T. Current Status freezes, pressing the down arrow to go to the Advanced Frequency Settings menu causes it to hang as well. So I decided to try installing windows 7 just to see what would happen and it installed successfully.

I tried rebooting and checking the tweaker screen again and it still behaves the same.

What are some steps I can take to troubleshoot this and what information about my system would be helpful? Thanks for your help!

Here's my main components:

Motherboard: GA-X58A-UDR3 rev 2.0
    BIOS date 4/20/2010
    CPU: core i7 980 extreme
    One hard drive connected to the standard SATA (not the 6 GB/s slots)
    One DVD drive hooked up to a 6 GB/s SATA slot
    4 BG of corsair DDR3 2200 memory in slots one and 3
    Video card: Radeon HD 5970
    Water cooled - BIOS reports CPU temp at 35 C (no fans plugged into mobo)
    750W corsair power supply

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Bios freezes after selecting MB Intelligent Tweaker menu

Does this happen if you do not go into the "Current Status" section of the MIT (Top section)?

I know it is very slow when it loads that info section, so really best to avoid it unless you need to check something out.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, it's slow even to load the menu with the four options starting with "Current Status" and if I even hit the down arrow to go to the next menu option (not hitting enter key and therefore not viewing the current status screen) it hangs up. I've got another pc sitting here with another gigabyte mobo and it loads the tweaker menu really fast as well as loading the current status really fast if that information helps anyone.

Okay, after widening my search phrase a few times and ending up with simply "GA-X58A-UDR3" and reading through a ton of posts I found this post with the answer: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...r-2-0-a-39877/. It's the USB keyboard that causes the problem. Using a PS/2 solves the issue. Flashing the bios to the most recent and enabling usb keyboard in the bios did not make usb keyboard work - simply can't use it.

Kind of funny Lsdmeasap that you solved this for someone else but had forgotten about it for me! :P

Thanks for your help.

Ha, I'm glad to see you found the cause of the issue! I would have got there for you, just was checking to see more of what the issue was first before we got into that.

So, which keyboard is it you have? Are you using the latest BIOS, the date you mention looks kinda old.

Did you have USB Keyboard enabled in the BIOS?

Haha yeah, no worries. I was using an old POS Belkin no-name keyboard that happens to be USB. Yes, I flashed the bios to the latest version and enabled USB keyboards in the BIOS and it still didn't work with that particular keyboard. So I dug up a PS/2 keyboard and that worked fine.

But I'm happy to report that my PC is all built and running BEAUTIFULLY! I think I'm in love! Haha ... anyway, thanks for your help and the quick replies.

Well nice to see you figured it out anyway and got things going!

It's probably just that Gigabyte does not have that keyboard, so they never added compatibility for it is all.

Thread Information