Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RAID 0 boot drive diasppeared

alternety is offline Member

Default Re: RAID 0 boot drive diasppeared

I just had a thought (and a nice IPA to stimulate thinking). I am into the manyth day of trying to fix this. Nothing has worked. After getting the Acronis ISO from their web site, I was able to back up my C drive. The visible piece of the RAID array.

I got Acronis backup to work from my CD. I was able to backup my C (RAID) drive.

What if I destroyed the RAID array? Made the drives regular old drives and restored the C I just backed up. At the very least, it would get rid of the issues about some things seeing the RAID and others not. This is, of course, a one time choice. One way or another I can't get back where I am.

Right now if I use Win 7 install to got to repair and then cmd prompt, I see three partitions. With all other disk drives removed except the two comprising the RAID array.

C is a reserved space - that is probably the 100 GB set aside by the system when the RAID array was built. But it gets a letter in DOS.

D appears to be pretty much what should be on my real C.

E is a partition with a bunch of boot stuff, probably created either by Acronis or UBCD4Win.

I would appreciate some advice/analysis of this approach. Once done, there is no going back.
    Last edited by alternety; 07-20-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, you may need to first load the RAID Driver before the BCD Build.

Ohh wait, so you got a backup made? Does it look normal, and you can browse around in the backup if mounted? If so then yes, you can just delete your array (Or I'd actually just format that way you leave the same exact array parameters), then restore your backup image to it.

As for your repair options drive questions, I think you are correct. From there at the prompt is this where you tried to rebuild the BCD? If so, did you change the commands to build it on C or D?

If you did not, try it now and choose to repair it onto D, if that fails it shouldn't mess anything up just add to C is all. If it fails I would try rebooting and then choose the normal "Startup Repair" option and reboot and see if it worked, if not try once more.

If that fails, then try all of the above again, this time making the BCD built onto the C partition (100MB one)

OK, here is what I am doing.

I have traps set in the yard to capture a small furry mammal. It may become a vital part of the recovery.

I have an Acronis backup of the broken C drive on an external USB drive. I disconnected the drives in the RAID array. I added a new SATA drive and used Acronis recovery disk to make it an active NTFS drive. After some false starts, I am, as we speak, restoring the Acronis backup to the new C drive. I expect that when this is done, I will still have a boot problem, but it will not involve a RAID array. At this point I will onec again try Win 7 recovery. I really wish I had someone here as smart as I used to be.

Sounds like a good plan!

Sorry I am not there to help, if only I could help everyone directly!!

So now at least you have a backup, so if you don't have any luck with anything you will be stuck doing a clean install, but will still be able to get your important documents, files, ect from the backup you have.

Good luck with your plans, hope all goes well!

I am indeed in the midst of a clean install. I tried everything but a complete rebuild of all things boot. I was trying to do that and I was having problems getting things to boot of the CD. I just bit the bullet. I have spent waaay too much time on this.

Did you have it in AHCI mode, that would hinder booting to CD.

Ohh well you are in clean install mode now, sorry to hear, but good luck on the install.

You can mount and browse your backup right?

Well clean is not so good either. I thought I would be able to restore everything from my backup of the bad RAID drive over a new install that has a good boot. I don't think I can use Acronis to do that. One of thoes RTFM moments. I am thinking that is not working out. I still have found no way that works to get my original drive to become bootable. I still have the raid drives in the machine, but powered off. I could still use some new ideas how to repair the initial install that won't boot.

OK, the OS in question on the boot drive with problems is Vista or windows 7 right?

If so did you ever try the BCD rebuild, and then 2x startup repair after that?

What exactly are you trying to move over to the new install? You will need to reinstall drivers and programs for sure, but you can easily move all your documents, images, music, ect.

You can't just copy x partition onto your new install though, or any folders such as windows, program files, ect.

It is Win 7 64. It is installed on a RAID 0 array. I deleted BCU.exe and installed an MS patch.

No longer boots. Backup is old and I don't think I did backups correctly so that they include the system components. I thought I could reload system and data components without reinstalling the MBR and associated things. That does not seem possible with what I have.

I have tried BCD rebuild. When I tried the most complex version, I started having boot problems with the repair CD (which made no sense to me) so I went to the new install and try to recover programs.

It is the operating system components (drivers, settings, installed programs, etc.) that I am trying to recover. My data backup is just fine.

What I was trying is to do the copies you can't do under windows using a standalone repair disk (e.g., Acronis, UBCD4Win). For whatever reason I have not been able to accomplish that. I have spent hours and hours and hours trying to understand the processes and available software solutions; but I am just not getting there. My clean install is on a new disk. The original disks for the RAID 0 array are still available.
    Last edited by alternety; 07-26-2010 at 06:08 AM.

What is MS Patch?

As for backups, I thought you said you made a working/viewable backup last week during this process. That is what I mean for you to get your documents, ect from, but no you will not be able to transfer over system files or anything like that.

Sorry, no there is no way to move over your other install system data, drivers, programs, ect into a clean install - RAID or No RAID, backup bootable or not this is just not going to work like that.

Your best bet is to just start installing programs, nothing more you can do really, and since you have all your data backed up and accessible you have done all you can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information