Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RAID 0 boot drive diasppeared

alternety is offline Member

Default Re: RAID 0 boot drive diasppeared

All righty then - I am back to where I started (I think). Reset conversation. I reconnected the RAID drives. I am going to attempt to fix it again. I will do the BCD things again after a bit.

Here is what I see on the reserved space Win 7 puts on the disk for RAID. I am including the file dates because it gives a sense of where the files are from. March is when the system was built. It failed toward the end of June. I believe everything after June is something added by the attempted repair process.

Boot Folder:

A whole bunch of little files that I believe are language related
    BCD 7/19
    BCD.log 7/19
    BootStat.dat

BootWiz Folder:

asm.bin 7/18

Sys Vol Info:

EFAData folder 6/24
    lighteningSand.cfd 6/24
    Mountpointmanaagerremotedatabase 7/19
    tracking.log 3/27

On the C drive

.md 6/12
    aawtboot.log 7/7
    csb.log 3/27
    install.log 3/27
    mbam-error.txt 5/3 contains - error not registered
    rhdssetup.log 3/27
    vkit_ea 4/21

Looking at C on this machine I see bootmgr - This would strike me as what is missing.
    Last edited by alternety; 07-29-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Been watching this thread for awhile and I have very little experience with RAID but I am curious. What is it that you have on these drives that is worth wasting so much time on? It sounds as though you were able to retrieve your data so why not simply reinstall the operating system, drivers, and programs? I have a LOT of programs on my system and it usually takes a day or two to get the operating system, drivers, personal data, and most of my programs reinstalled (tweaking is a perpetual thing so I won't count that). I guess if you are simply using the experience as a learning tool then the frustration may be worth it. If you have "mission critical" information that you need to keep then a stripped RAID is a real bad idea in the first place unless you are also mirroring it or backing up on an ongoing basis.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I have a number of applications protected by DRM. A few of them are a real pain in the a** to get reactivated. Vendors way more concerned with me trying to steal their IP (instead of just downloading a cracked version) than they are about me accessing what I paid for. These vendors shall remain nameless; but that is the answer.

hmmm .... o.k. ... . Please excuse the noisy neighbors. Carry on then.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

OK. I have closed the triple pane windows. Real input is enthusiastically solicited.

I have backed up the RAID drives and restored the partition to a single drive. Much fooling around, rebuilt the boot pieces from a manual procedure, still gives me 7b blue screen. The drives appear to be fine. It has to be something wacked in the OS. I don't know any way to fiddle with drivers since I simply can't boot to the OS.

Any suggestions of what to try next?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So once it's a single drive you do not have any luck witha double startup repair, and or a BCD rebuild?

Did you replace the Boot folder back onto the Root of C first? If not try that, then startup repair twice, then BCD Rebuild.

If you still have no luck you can try connecting this drive as a secondary spare, with another OS drive bootable as the first drive.

Then use VistaBootPro and then in the "System BootLoader" section you can try both ways of fixing this. You can either tell it to repair/reinstall the vista bootloader on all drives, or install the XP bootloader (Windows Legacy) on all drives.

They both will boot vista, and either one should give you a dual boot menu which you can then remove later once you are sure everything is working the way you want it to

Download VistaBootPRO 3.3.0 Free - VistaBootPRO can be used to make changes to the Windows Vista Boot Configuration Data registry quickly and easily - Softpedia

This manually allows you to rebuild the BCD Store, and choose what drive to place it on, or all drives as I suggested since you are having issues.

If you do install the XP boot loader you will have to then repair the vista one, you can use the above app for that or follow the info here.

Page 4 and 6
    How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

That is correct. Single drive version; no success with multiple repair or manual BCD rebuild.

I am somewhat concerned that almost all the discussions, threads, and software I find (or am referred to) specifically address Vista. I just don't know if everything said is applicable to Win 7 64.

I am very concerned that nothing I have seen accounts for/discusses the reserved partition that Intel RAID creates that seems to have the boot components. And how this relates to the C partition containing the actual Win 7 installation. Or how any of the suggested applications deal with this.

How does VistaBootPro compare to EasyBCD?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I address Vista because that is what I use, but when talking Vista or Windows 7 BCD Store they are both the same, so that is why I just continued to talk to you in that fashion.

It all applies to Win 7 as well.

Intel does not create this partition, Windows 7 does (100MB), and it does it with RAID or not if you let windows 7 create and manage the partition while you install. The above will change this, or would ignore the need for it, and put the BCD Store in C instead of that hidden partition. That is why I suggested you do this

EasyBCD and VistaBootPro are pretty much the same, just different GUI', you could use either for the above mentioned methods.

I am still working on it. I am now trying to get my old XP drive to boot on the new machine. So far results are PC 1, me 0. In passing, I noticed something you asked about earlier about the "browser Configuration Utility" whose uninstall may have caused this mess. It is on the Gigabyte CD that comes with the motherboard. It is described a a browser search. I have no idea if I was asked about installing it or if it just happened.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information