Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RAID 0 boot drive diasppeared

alternety is offline Member

Default Re: RAID 0 boot drive diasppeared

Something strange. Booting from my old XP drive, on a different legacy IDE controller, I still get a 7b.

I was trying to get the XP install disk ro update to see if it would repair the copy of XP. It needs a new HAL installed at the very least.

OK, I am beginning to think it's a haunting. I booted from the XP install CD. It did all its' loading thing and then it got a 7b before it got to the menu for installing.

How can that be. It is running from its' own RAM disk; right?
    Last edited by alternety; 08-11-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Help! I am going mildly crazy about this. I just do not understand what is happening or how to fix it.

I also have a real problem replying to this thread. I leave it open, and when I reply it just disappears. Over many many web sites I have not had this issue. Perhaps a bit of investigation into web system settings?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Does it boot in AHCI mode now though, or have you not tried?

7b is normally seen in an IDE Setup, when someone tries to enable AHCI without the driver, making the NTLDR unable to load.

Did you ever replace the boot folder yet? Without this it isn't going to boot at all, you can do this from another OS if you like, just copy over this folder from another install if you need to.

Also copy over the bootmrg file into the root of C

As for the 7b during the XP install attempt, you need to either load the right driver via F6 or set the BIOS to IDE for this disk.

Forum issues, not sure what you mean really, but I never have any issues with the forum so maybe your PC or internet connection?

So it's windows 7 still you are trying to fix right? Just checking, if it's XP then please upload for me your boot.ini file and let me check it over

Thanks. After continuing to fail at Win 7 I am trying to use my old XP install just to get something running on that PC and get out of my wifes office. I put in my old functioning XP drive and was trying to get the XP install CD to udate the HAL and assorted drivers. It was the XP CD boot that failed. I never got to selecting a repair. That should have been working from a RAM drive.

The IDE controller to which I attached the real XP hard disk is set to IDE. It is the only device on that controller. The SATA channel is still set to advanced function. It may be going after that for something. I will set that to ide as well. I noticed that when I go into the BIOS, no drive appears on it's list of IDE devices. Not sure why. I will go back to it and see what I can do. Thanks for continuing assistance.

I am back to trying the single disk Win 7 again. This is the one that I restored from the RAID image and then did a complete manual BCD rebuild. It has the boot directory in the root directory of the c drive. No reserved partition. Just a plain old drive. Active, checked. I ran from the XP cd once and tried repair just to see if it would find anything. It said it fixed the boot. Rebooted. 7B. Maybe it was a mistake to let it try repair once. Maybe it got something bad from various previous attempts and actually broke the boot.

I have reset the BIOS to the basic configuration. I have tried all the combinations for the SATA controller that is running the relevant drives. This is driving me crazy. I am thinking about reflashing the BIOS. I see there is a newer one. Everything was working fine until I did that fateful reboot.

The error when my posts don't work is that my token has expired, reload the page. I have to go back to the basic post and return to the last post to make it work.

It just keeps on getting better.

I finally reformatted by RAID drives, flashed the BIOS to the current release and reinstalled. Installed windows, Norton security, Firefox, EasyBCD. Then I tried to address drivers. I installed Gigabyte Download Manager. All it did is tell me I was up to date and asked how I wanted to schedule updates. It was helpful in that I now known what that stupid little window is that keeps popping up saying I am up to date. Can no one actually include the name of the program generating messages? Why in the hell do manufactures (I am talking most software here, not picking on Gigabyte) identify themselves when they pop up a message. Are we expected to research and memorize each and every meaningless symbol they choose to "identify" themselves?

Anyway, I digress. So then I put the CD that comes with the motherboard in the drive and tried to use the download center. First, it would appear to be functional only for IE since it states, when you go looking because it does not work, that it needs MS functions and wants you to fiddle with IE network security permissions. OK. Did that. Used IE, set permissions, won't get past the initial screen at the download center.

I was not amused. Help was not helpful. tech support really did not get me to anything at all. Could not even make it through the process.

OK. Let's try the install drivers on the CD. I did not really want to do that because they would be way out of date. No indication that the process goes and gets the current versions (which is the way it should work, since there is a download center and update manager - why ever install old drivers since the OS is already installed with IE). Unselected BCU (possibly the start of all my previous troubles) and selected install all. I have no idea if that really installed everything except BCU, the screens are ambiguous, but it trudged along with really poorly done screens and got to the point where it said reboot. OK. I played along with this.

Continuous looping boot. I got it to the point that windows offered to try to fix it. It tried longer than any of the attempts in this month long journey. Failed.

I am once again in possession of a box full of silicon whose only task is to generate heat.

Aaaarrrgh!

I reformatted the drive and installed Win 7 again. Installed Catalyst drivers. Ran the CD from Gigabyte. Continuous rebooting.

Next it will catch fire. This is insane. It worked just fine.

I reset CMOS. Again installed BIOS f7. Installed Win 7 64. Now it won't go past the BIOS boot screen. I keep failing to get further into the process every time I try to fix it.

I am getting close to applying the AK-47 update to the machine.

HELP HELP!
    Last edited by alternety; 08-15-2010 at 07:30 AM.

if your installing win7 raid all you should have to do it set ahci/raid and xhd and ahci in the bios and windows will install all the drivers for you,dont use those drivers on the mb cd as they will be long outdated,once up and running download/install all the latest drivers from gigabytes website
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information