Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - Errors running Prime95 or LinX tests

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 1 - Errors running Prime95 or LinX tests

Thanks for helping.

Is there a way to get the BSOD codes if I already closed that window? (I forgot to check.) I guess since it crashes so often, I'll be sure to get those codes next time.

I am not using this computer for gaming. I am using it for HD video editing and high res photo editing in Photoshop.

So, from what I have read, 12GB will really make a difference especially when editing 1080p video. (Many video editors have machines with multiple CPU's and 12GB PER CPU!)

However, if it means spending days and days troubleshooting and/or buying returning RAM, etc. then maybe I should just go with 6GB.

One other thought, if I start with 6 now and then add an additional 6GB later, does having 6 DIMMs as opposed to 3 DIMMs make any difference?

Thanks,
    -Darin

So I was not able to find 3x4GB sticks of RAM locally. (Well, they had them, but they wanted $500!)

So I bought DDR3 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz C7 CORSAIR CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 instead.

Installed it and loaded the XMP Profile (7. Kept the QPI/vtt at 1.24V instead of the default 1.15V.

So far it's been running Prime95 for 60 minutes without any errors. I know I still need to test longer, but with the 12GB OCZ RAM, I never got past 6 minutes without errors.

I have a good feeling about the new RAM. Now I just have to decide if I want to try 3 more sticks of 2GB to get to 12GB...

-Darin

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, luckily for you I have been crashing my system the past few days alot pushing memory clocks for a review, so I easily found how to find the info for you.

In even viewer, you will find it as shown in this image, in the windows/system log section. Event viewer is in the administrative tools section of the all programs list in the start menu, if you do not have that then right click your taskbar and choose properties, then advanced start menu customize, then scroll to the bottom and select show on start menu for the admin options.

Here is how to sort out everything but the BSOD's

Sorry, auto resize, full image here
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2zh409v.png

12GB via 6 sticks might be easier for you to use and get stable, as many more of those kits would be validated and compatible. I see you edit video and such, but if you really dont need 12GB it isn't going to help, well I mean you would know if you needed it as it wouldn't be a question you would know you need it because you always ran out of memory editing something.

I think you will have much better luck and save some cash too by just picking up another set of what you just bought, glad to hear it's working by the way!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-15-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks for the info. Just for kicks I will check to see the codes.

But for now since everything is working rock solid, I am just going to return the other RAM.

To be honest, I don't know for sure that I need 12GB, but from what I've read, other video editors are talking about 24GB of RAM being ideal, but you can get by with "only" 12GB!

Right now I am editing on a Win XP 32bit system! So even 6GB of RAM will seem like a lot.

However, from what I gather, playing back multiple streams of HD video can require a huge amount of resources. Also many of the effects can also eat up a lot of resources if they are to be played back in real-time. So I think it's the difference between the video stuttering and playing back slow, which is what my system does now.

I'll stick with 6GB for now until I do some testing with some real work. For now I am just excited to finally be able to load software and get this system running!

Thanks for all your help,

-Darin

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya check em out, might just be you needed more Vcore or Vtt, and you may be able to still use the other ram if you wanted to try again with more knowledge under your belt.

Well what others need may not be what you need, so that is why I was saying things how I was. If you need it or think you might come close to using 12GB all at once in a few projects then by all means go ahead and use it, I was just trying to save you $$ and hassles if you didn't really need it or use it.

Stuttering and or slow HD playback would also have to do largely with your GFX card and CPU speeds too, not just memory amounts or speeds. You can look in taskmanager at anytime, in the resources/performance tab and see just how much actual memory you are using.

Well enjoy your system for a bit now finally! Once you get into trying the other memory again or deciding on what to do stop back and let us know how things are going or what you are thinking about doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information