Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EX58-DS4 BIOS flash, now no boot.

Default Re: EX58-DS4 BIOS flash, now no boot.

Yeah I have a paperclip handy.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

YGPM

If you use paper clip you may need to file the ends down to a point, so you don't touch other things at the same time. Also put electrical tape on the end you hold, not sure how much current is sent to these :)

I love you so much.

Thankyou for all your help :D

(yes that means it worked)

- Now, can you give me some advice on how to flash and have it work this time? or was I just unlucky?

Can I go from F3 - F11 in one step?

NICE!!! Glad to be of help!

So which method did you end up getting to work, 4+7 pin? Did it scare you? :)

I assume you were just unlucky, but to be on the safe side go ahead and Qflash to F10 for now until I can verify F11 is ok and people are using it.

Has it been out for a while? If it has it was probably just a bad flash, when you flash again be sure you disable "Keep DMI Data" in Qflash, and that when it shows you the checksum there is 4 digits.

Here is my flashing guide, but I think you already read it
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Ya, it is fine to flash from any version to any version

yeah I used the 4+7.. It wasnt too bad actually I was fairly confident, I took out my wireless card and held one end in one hand, the other end in the other hand and got it steady and got my brother to hit power and END when prompted... When something happened other than the screen cycling I was very happy :) found some electrical tape too!

F10 came out 12/2/10 F11 12/3/10 so they are both fairly new. If It screws up again though I guess I dont have to spend 11 hours looking for a solution :P

I may leave the flash till a little later though, dedicate some time to it not just rush in like last time lol... yes I have a habbit of rushing in sometimes when im not thinking, though thinking you bricked your MB snaps you out of making rash decisions...

Ill go through that guide, if I have any questions ill pm you or something if thats ok, though I should be fine now and ill fully read through your guide this time.

Seriously, thankyou again. I cant describe how much relief I feel.

Just one last quick question - is a checksum alphanumeric? I wanted to double check "C100" was 4 digits.

Thanks for letting me know which you used, and glad it was easy for you!

Since those are released within days from each other, and so long ago, I think they are both fine. I'd go ahead with a reflash on F11

Yes alphanumeric, sorry I didn't mentioned before. I would go ahead and redownload that file you want to flash, just in case your last download was corrupted or something.

Do you remember the checksum from before your last flash? If you do is it the same for the same new copy of the file?

Better yet use this BIOS, I know this BIOS would be good to use and it much newer.

F12g
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/12...x58ds4.12g.zip

I always use the latest Beta and never final ones posted on the main site unless asked by someone to test something, so it will be fine to use.

If you do happen to run into the same issue again, recover the board and flash a midway BIOS just in case the flash from F3 is causing this issue but it shouldn't be though.

Just an update- I flashed to 12g and everything seems to work. The checksums were different but I assume that is because I used different versions (I initially tryed F11 then F10 as you suggested (I didnt go through with the flash), then F12g).

Something weird did happen though, after I cycled bios a few times setting the settings as suggested in the guide once I was done when I initially allowed it to boot it came back with a Main BIOS error and I think it restored from the backup. (the same screen from when I shorted the main came up - dottet progression bars and an increasing counter number)

Was the backup BIOS updated to 12g? in the post screen it still says it is bios version 12g, is there a way to double check this? or is it pretty solid that if post says 12g its 12g...

Great to hear the update went smoothly! Yes the checksum will always be different, just always be sure it is 4 digits, otherwise do not flash.

You mean recovering MAIN BIOS to backup, or recovering backup BIOS? This happens sometimes with certain BIOSes, as the Qflash is updated so both BIOSes must be flashed and it happens automatically once you are done messing around and try to let windows load.

I assume that is what happened you mention since you were flashing a very old BIOS I am sure Qflash has been updated a few times since then. You can check in the BIOS and I bet both are now F12g, press F9 on the MAIN page of the BIOS and you will see MAIN and BACKUP BIOS versions listed in the system info box.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information